Thread: Spotting contacts

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.07 MB

Spotting contacts

Hi all, after some research it seems I can only spot a contact at 3km which when I read some players can see as far as 14km or more that is a distinct disadvantage its the same in SP or MP for me. I read that in the rcu file you can alter the dotrange value for improving contact spotting not sure that's still relevant or would even work in MP? My hardware and gaming monitor are up to spec although i have read guys with tv monitor have more spotting capability so any advice to see further than 3k most welcome by the way no jokers about wearing specs at my age that's standard practice lol!

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Spotting contacts

Hi Checkhov, the advice I can give you is to try turning off the anti-aliasing. To be effective enough you should be able to see at least 9-10 km.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by checkhov View Post
    My hardware and gaming monitor are up to spec although i have read guys with tv monitor have more spotting capability
    Well, the lower your monitor/TV resolution, the bigger the size of the pixels, by definition.
    Therefore you should see the first pixel (a black square) sooner with a lower resolution, because it is bigger than in high resolution.
    This is why some of the aces in this sim continue to play in 1080p. They miss on the image quality, but improve their spotting ability.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

" I read that in the rcu file you can alter the dotrange value for improving contact spotting not sure that's still relevant or would even work in MP?" doesn't work in multiplayer AFAIK this parameter is set by the server. try turning off anti aliasing as hellrider suggested, then play around with the resolution. I would suggest try to change one setting at a time. Joking aside spectacles prescribed with the correct focal length( ie how far is the monitor screen from your nose) helped me. I play with a high spec 55"tv at high res and find this helps, although expensive. Also I think spotting gets better with practice.
    Hope this helps,
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Like others have said, read this about the parameter for offline and a sample mission. There may be now a default mission in game, but I am not sure.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...light=Spotting

Try this to set a baseline.
    Lower your resolution and see how much better it becomes.

For example, in 1440p on a 27“ panel 60 cm away from my face the dots beyond some 12 km are really just a pixel, a speck. This will take a lot of practice to spot. But in 1080p they become significantly larger and easier to spot.

Like Jackmaxx, some people have proper TV sets, even running low resolution like 1080p, which makes it even easier.

What you can also try is turning on labels to see if you just can’t see the dots because for example you are not used to how they look in certain situations or if they really aren’t there (for whatever reason…).

I remember in the beginning of CloD I had issues spotting and tried going from VGA to DVI with no improvement. Only with a new monitor and HDMI it improved significantly. Nowadays with a modern panel and HDMI it isn’t a problem.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.31 MB

Check your config.ini Make sure MeshShowLoad=1

This will render a complete model...

At school teaching and not on pc so not sure where, when I get home will post I run in 4k and have great vis...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.07 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BlacKnight View Post
    Check your config.ini Make sure MeshShowLoad=1

This will render a complete model...

At school teaching and not on pc so not sure where, when I get home will post I run in 4k and have great vis...
    Hi BlackKnight, I have edited the MeshShowLod=0 to 1 as you suggested will fly some missions see if I gain any more distance in contact spotting.
    Thanks for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.07 MB

Hi BlackKnight, I have edited the MeshShowLod=0 to 1 as you suggested will fly some missions see if I gain any more distance in contact spotting.
    Thanks for help.
    PS I see I also have conf ini file in 1SoftClub folder do you need to change the value on that as well?

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.81 MB

PS I see I also have conf ini file in 1SoftClub folder do you need to change the value on that as well?
    Hi checkhov,

if you want to change game settings, you have to do it in files located in your Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder.

Josef

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.07 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Josef View Post
    Hi checkhov,

if you want to change game settings, you have to do it in files located in your Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder.

Josef
    Hi Josef thanks, I was guessing that would be the correct folder for editing game