Thread: New flight controls?

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

New flight controls?

Have had a G940 for about 10 years now, still works but can be finicky with setting it up and the pedals are annoyingly jumpy.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at the VKB stuff, looks nice. Don't want to break the bank as well.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Re: New flight controls?

Hi Spiritus,
    if the joystick works without problems there is no point in replacing it, and for the pedals you can replace the potentiometer with a hall sensor (linear) and a neodymium magnet that you stick on the plastic part of the potentiometer. I will look in the photo archive the pictures to see how simple it is.
    "S"
    Dan.
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

The agree with rontaila, the stick is probably too good for replacing

The throttle is ok - especially if you apply this fix here: https://github.com/fred41/G940-firmware-fixes. It eliminates the infamous reversal bug on it.

That fix includes a host of other improvements, too. Maybe even help with the pedals.

In my opinion, the pedals are not good. If you feel like tinkering, follow rontaila's idea. Otherwise, This guy is selling his MFG Crosswind pedals, which I have and can recommend without reservations. But shipping outside the EU (he's in Poland) may substantially increase the total costs.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

And in case you do invest in a new one, I have a VKB Gunfighter MK III with extension. It works great, fully programmable (mine has over 40 buttons plus CTRL and SHFT keyboard modifiers on it, all using their SW) and wasn‘t that expensive. Quality is top notch and tbh I don’t think I‘ll ever need to buy another stick.

The one problem I have is the cables sometimes get tangled by the cams inside the base when I dogfight too much. Bit that’s more on me. I played a lot with springs (there are also cams to adapt it to your style) and the cables ended up getting in the way because I didn’t put them back in properly.

A ver good alternative to the Gunfighter (which may not be a good desktop stick, being too tall and sitting too high) is the Gladiator NXT. Not as flexible but a lot cheaper.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Unfortunately, I could not find the photos of the modification of the G940 pedals, but in the attached link you will find clarifications. https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4038476/7 Hall sensor can be HONEYWELL SS495A or equivalent
    Last edited by rontaila; Sep-26-2022 at 09:29.
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN