Thread: How does the Kittyhawk gunsight work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

How does the Kittyhawk gunsight work?

So I familiar with how the gunsights with adjustments work, but the Kittyhawk's doesn't seem to be adjustable. I've done some googling but haven't found anything.

I assume it's fixed as the normal keymaps don't change anything...what distance/target size is it set to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: How does the Kittyhawk gunsight work?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    So I familiar with how the gunsights with adjustments work, but the Kittyhawk's doesn't seem to be adjustable. I've done some googling but haven't found anything.

I assume it's fixed as the normal keymaps don't change anything...what distance/target size is it set to?
    Unlike the British gunsights, it does not help you to estimate the distance to target.
    Just get close and six .50cal will do the job much better than any number of .303 peashooters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Unlike the British gunsights, it does not help you to estimate the distance to target.
    Just get close and six .50cal will do the job much better than any number of .303 peashooters.
    Ok, but does the diameter of the circle mean anything, like a default wingspan/distance. Like is it calibrated for a certain distance for a certain wingspan?

4. Likes 5th Hellrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Ok, but does the diameter of the circle mean anything, like a default wingspan/distance. Like is it calibrated for a certain distance for a certain wingspan?
    Not that I would know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Here is a link to a cool P-40 Training Manual that has a chapter on gunnery as of page 84.

An here is a link to a P-40 Service Manual that discusses the gunsight operation extensively as of page 52.

Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

7. Likes 1lokos, Osiris, ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

The gunsight's diameter represents 100 feet at 1000 feet. So convergence of 300m, shooting an He111 from behind the target should occupy 3/4 of your sight's diameter.

Edit: I had wrote 100 feet at 1000 yards instead of feet. Also that statement assumed a 100 mils gunsight which was used in the p-40 but it's more likely the Kittyhawks of our sim's period had the earlier 70 mils gunsight which explains some of my shooting.
    Last edited by Dawson; Sep-27-2022 at 15:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you very much guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Actually I never understood how this could be useful.

It just helps you to estimate the distance to target when you come in from dead six and the target does not try to evade
    So, it could be useful only for attacking bombers.
    But also in this case it might not be advisable to move in straight from behind and stay there until you reach the 'correct' distance.
    In fact, you should approach so quickly that the distance changes considerably with each fraction of a second.

Start to shoot a bit after they open fire at you and get out as quick as you can for the next run.

11. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Start to shoot a bit after they open fire at you and get out as quick as you can for the next run.
    Note to self: when DerDa attacks you from 6 o’clock, don’t open fire until you are sure you can’t miss
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

13. Likes ATAG_Knight, Sleepy_Fly, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Actually I never understood how this could be useful.

It just helps you to estimate the distance to target when you come in from dead six and the target does not try to evade
    So, it could be useful only for attacking bombers.
    But also in this case it might not be advisable to move in straight from behind and stay there until you reach the 'correct' distance.
    In fact, you should approach so quickly that the distance changes considerably with each fraction of a second.

It makes sense with fighters that don't know you are there, it saves a lot of ammo , dogfighting not so much and instinct or lack thereof takes over.

Bombers yeah, I have a bad habit of hanging around too long on their six....with the Beau, I would snipe them for a quick kill without too much danger. 50 cals are bad ass, but they do take a bit more ammo/time to kill

And the stukas are particularity nasty on the TWC server they seem to soak up the 50cal