Thread: Hey ATAG_SKUD You out there?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey ATAG_SKUD You out there?

Its Brian from IL2 1946 Days. I finally have the time to enjoy some WWII Sim flying like we used to do on Warclouds among others. I retired early, and taking some advice from years ago, and stopping by ATAG forums : P

Hopefully we can fly a couple Antons on Jabo's in the near future. Hope all is well.

P.S.
    <S> And Howdy All !

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Hey ATAG_SKUD You out there?

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

It’s great to have virtual air warriors stop in. Hopefully Skud will be by shortly.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

4. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Skud and I flew A8 Jabo a LOT in IL2 46, many moons ago. He helped get me wired tight in IL2, The voice of reason & wisdom, always dealing with an impatient wingman ( Me) LOL

It is nice to be back into a hobby Ive sorely missed. I tried playing some FPS shooter games, but the flight models are laughable , and community Toxicity at an all time high. Flight simming might be a steep investment as far as gaming goes, but I've honestly NEVER had any better online gaming experiences than those I have had in the WWII Flight sim genre

6. Likes OBT~Mikmak, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Razorback........and 'Welcome'...... to our unique CLoD Community! I can see you're going to fit right in! Pronto!

Community Toxity? I have heard about all that but I have never really experienced it. To be honest, when I first found Cliffs of Dover I only ever flew single player because I had heard that 'nasty' people existed on line and you only went 'on line' if you wanted some of that stuff! It took me a year to pluck up the courage to try this ATAG online 'thing.' When I did...... I was totally blown away!
    In some way flying against 'real' people was far more exciting...unpredictable...challenging......... than shooting at AI. Not only that but I met some of the best, friendliest and encouraging folk who I have ever met. People who had the same interests as me and seemed to have the time to teach and encourage me to understand the finer points of the sim...... and I was hooked!

As you can see, I'm still here enjoying the sim and the huge challenge it still provides. Yes, we are all patiently waiting for the next TFS Patch but there is still loads to be getting on with, in the meantime. And this Community is still the friendliest and most relaxing place to be when you just want to get airborne and have some fun! Get stuck in! There are still a dedicated few who fly where the numbers are, so when you spot us, jump on and say 'hello!'

There'll be a warm welcome for you! Happy landings and Salute!

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

<S>
    And thank you for thewarm welcome. Skud told me all about ATAG years ago, and If Skud is still here, well...... Must be a good group! I flew a LOT with Skud, and out of ALL my gaming experiences online, and Ive been online since 56K modems. The Sim communities no matter the title are always the best of the best.

The toxicity in gaming today is beyond the pale of disgusting human behavior. Sim communities are where I always found the Best folks. Im getting all my gear setup, and tuned in. Wont be long, Ill be back to testing parachutes for the Fatherland. I am now in serious regrets about selling my Warthog system. Im WAY out of the current gear loop, so Im gonna need some help LOL.

Do any of you fly the newest IL2?

<S>
    Regards
    Razor

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    <S>
    And thank you for thewarm welcome. Skud told me all about ATAG years ago, and If Skud is still here, well...... Must be a good group! I flew a LOT with Skud, and out of ALL my gaming experiences online, and Ive been online since 56K modems. The Sim communities no matter the title are always the best of the best.

The toxicity in gaming today is beyond the pale of disgusting human behavior. Sim communities are where I always found the Best folks. Im getting all my gear setup, and tuned in. Wont be long, Ill be back to testing parachutes for the Fatherland. I am now in serious regrets about selling my Warthog system. Im WAY out of the current gear loop, so Im gonna need some help LOL.

Do any of you fly the newest IL2?

<S>
    Regards
    Razor
    Hey Razor, welcome back!

Feel free to pm me or post here if you need any help regarding hardware / sim gear. I’ll help where I can. Nowadays there is A LOT of options. Really, even from the same manufacturer you can choose from different models.

The Warthog is still a solid option, but nowadays there is stuff like Virpil and VKB from Eastern Europe and Winwing from China. They do what TM used to do as the sole player in the market, just more! And the build quality is slightly superior (ie all metal internals).
    At least VKB and Virpil are highly customizable. For their sticks you can change cams, springs, reprogram buttons, virtual buttons, axis etc. it’s awesome. No need for Target Scripting and interfacing with the game commands. You actually create buttons from the joystick itself.

And if you take a look at their portfolios you will see a lot of options too with a few in the same WT price range (their highlights tend to be a bit more expensive though).

And then there are throttles units and rudder pedals, which also have a few options in the market to choose from.

And don’t get me started with VR lol

There are also alternatives to TIR which weren’t available 10-15 years ago. Even though in this area I don‘t really know much. My TIR5 is still going strong after over a decade.

Oh, and yes, I fly BoS every now and then. And DCS. Still prefer CloD though…
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

"There are also alternatives to TIR which weren’t available 10-15 years ago. Even though in this area I don‘t really know much. My TIR5 is still going strong after over a decade."

I bought the grass monkey puck and I love it!! for the 120.00 it just smokes my TiR 5, the 5 is still great but pricey now. Grassmonkey system Uses a 240 mhz camera. I noticed lots of you use Voice Attack, I used it in Hell Let loose WWII FPS game, works great! I can see where that would be immensely helpful in VR setup.

Right now Im having issues with BoS I bought Bos Bodenplatte Normandy FW 190D I keep getting a data error when I try to setup my BoS account . UGH Here we go!
    I have an X56 Rhino as a stop gap Until I get my flight gear all sorted out. I honestly think Im gonna start a simpit project in my shop. I have lots of 12 ply hardwood sheets waiting for a project.
    Im liking the look of those Pedestal style rudder pedals, and since Im retired, and pretty flush right now..... well.... Mine as well build a dedicated simpit now, and avoid the frustrations of a multi purpose gaming machine setup.

My big thing is recording studio, everything else is secondary to that. Im switching to MAC for that for obvious production reasons. I built my system with Music and flight as my guidelines. I built an 11th Gen i9 system. 64GB Dominator ram. Hyperdrive SSDs. It was the fastest platform that I could build at the time, boots in barely 9 seconds. The only thing I retained was my RTX 2070 Super. Its was a waste of money for me to jump to 3080 especially considering how dataminers drove prices through the roof. Thankfully that era looks to be over, and my 2070 Super is more than adequate. VR is something Im just gonna have to try though.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/
    Last edited by Razorback; Oct-01-2022 at 16:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Yo!
    I'm here. Good to see you again Razor!
    I've been flying a little bit now. I was off for several months trying to figure out what kept blowing my motherboards. Turns out it was the PSU. Anyway with that sorted I'm now trying to get all my fancy custom controls to work. My GVL Ju 88 throttle has lost some switches. I have the replacements but finding the time to tear the device apart and figure out how to solder is another thing. I'm currently building a new shop in the backyard for my Bultaco collection so time has been at a premium. It turned out bigger than it looked on the drawings, My framer calls it the "Garage Mahal". In the old garage it took me 2 hours to tighten a chain. 1hr 45 to move bikes out the way so I could get to it and 15 minutes to actually do the job.
    Anyway, roof is on and days are getting short so I'll bring the work indoors and get flying again.
    I was just getting decent at bombing airstrips from high alt when my old machine croaked. Now I need to re-learn.
    Will be back on soon.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Honestly Skud my career finished on a sour note. My shoulders gave out, had 8 surgeries Need a replacement on right................ sigh......... Lesson for the Young bloods. Dont race motocross, and do not lift heavy weights, THAT is what got my dumb arse ( a few times ) Ive got a House in Ohio ( not for long ) and one on my farm on the Ozarks, only bad part about owning land out in the middle of nowhere? Yep carrier there is literally called HillBilly Wireless, and todays equivalant of a smoke signal. I have Starlink which isnt too shabby, but....... I think we were flying 46 when I had my first rotator surgery lol...

You probably have one of the best Bultaco collections of anyone Ive even heard of. Got any Yankees, or Pentons in there?? I raced with one of the Pentons, they live close by. Im working on my Ozark shop too! Got a pole barn have some of my machine shop equip ready to wire up, and sort out phase converters. Looking into getting a CNC router, Looked at some nice CNC mills, but its a hobby now. I gave up the gunsmithing /restoration business, too much ATF BS. Looking into a Kolbe firefly with a Rotax Rick engine, and the recovery chute option \

Lots to catch up on amigo, too much for a forum... I look to be airworthy by friday. Good to know your still flyin!