Thread: Grounded for the time being

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Grounded for the time being

So I was looking forward to some long overdue airtime on Sunday and not 5 minutes after turning my laptop on, 'bink' off it went. Thus a large, heavy paperweight.

It's with a tech fellow now and we'll see what the outcome is.

With years of global travel I've not had a tower system since the turn of the millennium. I had plans to replace it with a tower when the time comes, though I'm not quite ready yet and wouldn't know where to start. Regardless I'm grounded for the time being. My old XP laptop will hopefully get me through daily usage in the meantime.

Bugger !

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Oct-04-2022 at 14:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Re: Grounded for the time being

Hey, Dazz....we're going to miss you, Mate! As you say.....'bugger!' How the hell am I going to remember to close my bomb doors now? Let's hope your tech man can solve the problem quickly. Have you told him there's a war on?

I've just returned from two weeks away and so I'm just becoming reacquainted with how much you forget whilst your away. I've also just gone over to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (yes, I know! Dinosaur!) so there are various bits and pieces to sort out before I'm squared up to fly properly again.

Hope the gigs go well. Whatever you do, keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. Cheers......Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Sorry about your luck, Daz.

My present laptop is relatively new (got it by redeeming 18,000 Air Miles!) and so far working fine. It came with Windows 11 installed and have had no issues transitioning from Win10.

Unlike a tower, I don’t believe it’s possible to upgrade the video card as it’s hardwired into the motherboard with the cpu.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hope you get it sorted soon Daz . Such a shame it happened just when you get some spare time . Look forward to seeing you again soon .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Thanks for the replies all. An 11hr drive yesterday to IL. 2 shows today then a 9hr drive to PA Fri. 2 shows Sat then 6 hr drive home Sun. Where I'll be too knackered to fly even if I could. Tho I really miss the option.

Assuming it's a costly laptop repair I'll have to consider options. It's a ginormous Asus gaming monster and does great with Cliffs into a tv. Replacing it with a tower is likely. Just have no idea where to start. I've not touched one in 20 years.
    Worries for another day. Backing a Cher tribute this weekend. And no it's not a drag act. Oh and it appears to be my birthday. Yay.

Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Oct-06-2022 at 10:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

By gum! You're packing in those shows, Dazz! Hopefully, the spondulicks will help pay for any repairs?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.....for the weekend!

7. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Happy Birthday, Dazza!

Safe travels.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

9. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Thanks for the replies all. An 11hr drive yesterday to IL. 2 shows today then a 9hr drive to PA Fri. 2 shows Sat then 6 hr drive home Sun. Where I'll be too knackered to fly even if I could. Tho I really miss the option.

Oh and it appears to be my birthday. Yay.

Daz
    Maybe you should consider flying instead of driving
    And a happy birthday to youuuuu
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

11. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Backing a Cher tribute this weekend. And no it's not a drag act. Oh and it appears to be my birthday. Yay.

Daz
    Happy Birthday Daz, I would swap a day or so away from Blitz to stand for a couple of hour behind someone in a Cher outfit Hurry back
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Little Bill liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

Happy birthday dazza - and at least its not a Bee Gee tribute

15. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Assuming it's a costly laptop repair I'll have to consider options. It's a ginormous Asus gaming monster and does great with Cliffs into a tv. Replacing it with a tower is likely. Just have no idea where to start. I've not touched one in 20 years.
    Worries for another day. Backing a Cher tribute this weekend. And no it's not a drag act. Oh and it appears to be my birthday. Yay.

Daz
    You should consider building your own PC from scratch. You can save some bucks and get what you want. Its really snap together stuff and most anyone on this site can help with any questions. I dove in without knowing anything about building about 6 PCs ago and found it very straightforward. The toughest part is finding vendor approved DRAM but you can copy and paste DRAM model #s from AVL to Google to find the right memory. If you have a budget in mind I'm sure we could spec something out you can build.
    FYI be very wary of PC builder apps on Newegg-they are almost useless.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 56RAF_stickz View Post
    Happy birthday dazza - and at least its not a Bee Gee tribute
    Youre close. Bee Gees / Abbamania double header is next week.

Daz

18. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, 56RAF_stickz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Happy Birthday Dazz!
    Hurry Back! If I recall correctly the Red Team needs a fuel resupply on TWC.
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

20. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Youre close. Bee Gees / Abbamania double header is next week.

Daz
    Wot you moaning about

cher.jpg
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

22. Likes ATAG_Snarglepuss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_JackMaxx View Post
    Wot you moaning about

cher.jpg
    Naaaahhhh ... She is trying to spread her wings, and the landing gear seems ok but I can't see a propeller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Naaaahhhh ... She is trying to spread her wings, and the landing gear seems ok but I can't see a propeller.
    Ha haaaaaaagggghhhhhhhh!

(And I thought that DerDa was a respectable member of the Community!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Cher ......... having been spoken for .........
    I got dibs on Agneta
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Repair finally done in a Toronto lab and all seems well.
    Hoorah.

Today I'm headed to the US for a couple Abba shows and hope to be awake enough to fly Sun after driving 6 hrs back. If not certainly during the week.

See you on Ops
    Daz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

See you Sunday then Dazza

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Well it's fixed, but somehow my Cliffs fps has taken a nosedive. I'm not sure what my numbers were before, but it weren't a stutterfest. No settings were changed and no hardware / software changed. My laptop issue was it not getting any power, that chip has been replaced and everything works as normal, except Cliffs.

Since I last played in Sept there's been a patch and Windows updates, I'm not aware of any issues. I've little idea what my graphics settings were as I'd not touched them in as long as I can recall, never had any issues or reason to. I'll have a fiddle and see if I can't accidentally stumble onto something.

Frustrating
    Dazza
    Last edited by Dazza; Nov-01-2022 at 00:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    271.40 MB

Well it's fixed, but somehow my Cliffs fps has taken a nosedive. I'm not sure what my numbers were before, but it weren't a stutterfest. No settings were changed and no hardware / software changed. My laptop issue was it not getting any power, that chip has been replaced and everything works as normal, except Cliffs.

Since I last played in Sept there's been a patch and Windows updates, I'm not aware of any issues. I've little idea what my graphics settings were as I'd not touched them in as long as I can recall, never had any issues or reason to. I'll have a fiddle and see if I can't accidentally stumble onto something.

Frustrating
    Dazza
    Dazza, if the framerate drop is really large it may mean you're now using the Intel graphics on the CPU instead of the laptop's dedicated GPU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
    Dazza, if the framerate drop is really large it may mean you're now using the Intel graphics on the CPU instead of the laptop's dedicated GPU.
    Nope that's not it. Tech fella ran some stress tests on my gtx1070 and can't see why Cliffs is not as I said it used to be. I'm not one to fiddle around with what's working so I can't say what my Nvidia & Cliffs settings were, or my typical fps. I've not adjused anything in as long as I can remember. The laptop runs into a 32' tv using it as the primary screen at 2560x1440, and the laptop screen for Teamspeak, TWC Campaign server map etc. No issues with stutters and consistent 40's--50's degree temps via the basic ROG gaming center. Everything is still the same except the game now gives me 30-40 fps at best looking at the sky. With other a/c it slows. Flying over Deal might as well be London for the frame hit I get.

I've tried lowering graphics, file integrity and a completely fresh install running single screen at 1080x1920 with little improvement, if any.

Very confused
    Daz
    Last edited by Dazza; Nov-02-2022 at 17:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.07 MB

Nope that's not it. Tech fella ran some stress tests on my gtx1070 and can't see why Cliffs is not as I said it used to be. I'm not one to fiddle around with what's working so I can't say what my Nvidia & Cliffs settings were, or my typical fps. I've not adjused anything in as long as I can remember. The laptop runs into a 32' tv using it as the primary screen at 2560x1440, and the laptop screen for Teamspeak, TWC Campaign server map etc. No issues with stutters and consistent 40's--50's degree temps via the basic ROG gaming center. Everything is still the same except the game now gives me 30-40 fps at best looking at the sky. With other a/c it slows. Flying over Deal might as well be London for the frame hit I get.

I've tried lowering graphics, file integrity and a completely fresh install running single screen at 1080x1920 with little improvement, if any.

Very confused
    Daz
    Hi, have you tried to uninstall/reinstall graphics driver could be corrupt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Quote Originally Posted by checkhov View Post
    Hi, have you tried to uninstall/reinstall graphics driver could be corrupt?
    Yep, I tried an old driver and the tech fella who ran stress tests installed the newest driver clean. No difference.
    I'm almost certain I had High settings accross the board in Cliffs and typical 'power optimised' suggested settings in Nvidia. I've not touched setings in so long because nothing ever required me to. Even adjusting to Low settings in Cliffs makes little difference in my overal fps - as read in Cliffs.

I've not flow since Sept due to being busy, I've no idea if W10 updates etc have had any negative influence. I don't have any other games etc to compare.

Hmm
    Dazza

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.07 MB

Yep, I tried an old driver and the tech fella who ran stress tests installed the newest driver clean. No difference.
    I'm almost certain I had High settings accross the board in Cliffs and typical 'power optimised' suggested settings in Nvidia. I've not touched setings in so long because nothing ever required me to. Even adjusting to Low settings in Cliffs makes little difference in my overal fps - as read in Cliffs.

I've not flow since Sept due to being busy, I've no idea if W10 updates etc have had any negative influence. I don't have any other games etc to compare.

Hmm
    Dazza
    Have you tried adjust best performance in the control panel win10 or something called game mode as well? might help i had a problem with GC trial error worked out my PSU on way out new one sorted it only other thing in task manager see if some program is running in background slow you up guess solving these issue is painful m8 when you sus it you wonder why you never thought that first anyway good luck then hopefully i shoot you down im the pizza man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Dazza, does your laptop have a MUX switch? If your graphics card is an NVIDIA card, and if your laptop has a mux switch it may be off. This YouTube video explains how to do it at the 14:38 mark, they say 30% increase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KamA-38gV7w

best wishes.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

Maybe try turning off any Vsync settings and check your laptop power settings.
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
    "Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Thanks all for your advice and sympathy. Much appreciated.

I have so far - with my very, very limited ability discoverd what I believe is the 'issue'.

Asus laptops have a Gaming Center that I use simply to monitor temps as I'm not a tweaker and know nothing of clocking. I ran Valley Benchmark to check my feeble fps on the tv monitor and with Gaming Center on the laptop screen. After a few seconds the CPU was reading only around 780MHz from 2680MHz. Bloody odd I said to myself. Is it throttling ? But it's not even 50 deg ? Even the GPU was hovering around similar temp. I'm certain they run higher during Cliffs, into the 60's. Hmm.

A quick google search finds related posts suggesting Throttelestop to check/uncheck BD PROCHOT. And there it is, an answer. It's indeed throttling. Apparently due to a bad sensor or possibly battery/power supply issue? Funny enough it's rarely ever been on battery and since the repair the battery don't charge at all. Related ? Possibly. Beyond my comprehension.

Not an actual fix, but my tech guy is relieved I found something tangible and aint imagining things. Guess I'll have it sent off again to the lab that did the EC chip motherboard fix.

Daz