Thread: Pimax 8k and 12k

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Pimax 8k and 12k

Discalimer! Im a VR idiot, just now catching up on VR hardware. WOW< Ive been gone too long!!
    I sure could use some VR owners opinions bout now!! It would seem the Pimax VR are vastly superior especially for flight sims. The 12 K rings in at 2400 roughly, and that is a steep price. I will start with the more affordable 8k. I would not enjoy the 12K goggles much as I would not survive long enough to use it.

I mean to say I would LIKE to start with Pima8K LOL That came off hilarious. asking for opinions yet stating im gettin X brand..... Whooops
    Last edited by Razorback; Oct-10-2022 at 17:50.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

Re: Pimax 8k and 12k

If first time, my advice is to start with a Reverb G2 as it is like 1/4 the price and arguably 80-90% of the top end stuff. An order of magnitude more affordable and a very good experience if I say so myself. If you want to go very high end you should also consider the Varjo Aero in addition to the Pimax. Go check out the BoX forums for lots of user experience for all the different gear. Paul
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

3. Likes Razorback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Discalimer! Im a VR idiot, just now catching up on VR hardware. WOW< Ive been gone too long!!
    I sure could use some VR owners opinions bout now!! It would seem the Pimax VR are vastly superior especially for flight sims. The 12 K rings in at 2400 roughly, and that is a steep price. I will start with the more affordable 8k. I would not enjoy the 12K goggles much as I would not survive long enough to use it.

I mean to say I would LIKE to start with Pima8K LOL That came off hilarious. asking for opinions yet stating im gettin X brand..... Whooops
    TF is currently having issues with Pimax hardware in the BLITZ/TOBRUK VR Beta.

We are working to resolve this... but not getting much support from Pimax.

5. Likes Razorback liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Now thats a good piece of information, thank you. That would be a deal breaker for me even though I love DCS and hear it works great in DCS For the price of the Pima . Interesting business model though. If I were Pima Id support every flight sim i could.
    Its the FOV on the Pima that really got me drooling.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have not seen ANY good things said about Pimax customer support, not at all.
    Is the HTC Vive Pro 2 Not good for Sims? I dont see it mentioned all too much in the Favorite VR for pilots lists anywhere. Damn that Pimax FOV! That is an attention grabber for me . I sure dont want to make a 1300 dollar mistake with the Pimax, ive seen a lot of complaints, and a TON of praises... I hate being in the throes of Noobness, I want a VR rig so bad, but I dont want to make any mistakes. I do certainly appreciate everyones input. My Toy slush fund is doing pretty good, but I dont wanna drain it either, I gotta get a new Warthog Hotas too. and pedals and build a trim box. You guys know how this goes...

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well it has been awhile. I continue to read up. I keep circling back to the Pimax 8KX series, and I think Im going to pull the proverbial trigger. The HTC Vive pro2 are a runner up, but I have to say, buying VR before trying just feels weird for this type of purchase LOL I guess im pretty old skool LOL. The hand tracking absolutely blew my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Well it has been awhile. I continue to read up. I keep circling back to the Pimax 8KX series, and I think Im going to pull the proverbial trigger. The HTC Vive pro2 are a runner up, but I have to say, buying VR before trying just feels weird for this type of purchase LOL I guess im pretty old skool LOL. The hand tracking absolutely blew my mind.
    only 42% 5 star reviews on amazon would not fill me with confidence
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I sure could use some VR owners opinions bout now!!
    DO NOT buy a Pimax. They have software, quality control and customer support issues. Do not be fooled by 8k or 12k marketing or nonsense on YouTube. You have already had the best advice from paul-leonard; get an HP Reverb G2.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Precisely why im still in a holding pattern. 1400 investment with crappy support isnt exactly a wise move. Ive seen enough red flags to declare Pimax are off my list.

Reverb is the most Solidly used VR headset I have seen with flight simmers for sure. This will be my first VR headset, but I can afford to start off with a really nice one, thats where Im at here. I thank you guys for your advice it hasnt fallen on deaf ears
    I was getting really close to the Pimax. I fly DCS a lot, and Pimax seemed to work good for that crowd. but the issues with CLOD kinda kills it aside from the support issues. Vive pro 2's look interesting. Anyone using those?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Precisely why im still in a holding pattern. 1400 investment with crappy support isnt exactly a wise move. Ive seen enough red flags to declare Pimax are off my list.

Reverb is the most Solidly used VR headset I have seen with flight simmers for sure. This will be my first VR headset, but I can afford to start off with a really nice one, thats where Im at here. I thank you guys for your advice it hasnt fallen on deaf ears
    I was getting really close to the Pimax. I fly DCS a lot, and Pimax seemed to work good for that crowd. but the issues with CLOD kinda kills it aside from the support issues. Vive pro 2's look interesting. Anyone using those?
    HTC Vive Pro are being used by VR Beta testers.

Initially they had a problem with their Vive headsets, but HTC Vive responded very quickly after we got their attention and worked well with our guys to fix the issues.

However, I would say the largest number of users have the Reverb G2.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Oct-27-2022 at 00:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Valve index has consistently good reviews even 3+ years after release, Pricey thou, I am waiting to see what the Valve index 2 is like before I spend, My old oculus rift will suffice until then.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.79 MB

8KX owner. Just checking in to see if any developments have happened with Pimax. Thanks
    Win10 x64, i7-8700K CPU @ 4.70GHz, MSI Trio RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB RAM, 2560x1400, Virpil Throttle, Virpil Mongoose Warbird Stick T-50CM2, Virpil Pedals.
    VR: HTC Vive Pro 2, 3248 x 3248 Steam resolution
    Nvidia driver version: 511.79