Thread: So, Here We Are - Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

So, Here We Are - Again

When was the last time I did something like this? About a year ago? Probably.

Anyway, hello again all! It's been a while, but my keen interest in games such as Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose eventually led me back to this fine game series and its even finer community. Nowadays I'm more active on apps such as Discord, although I do believe there are a few IL-2 community servers on there that I might have a look at - one of which I think is owned by the man, the myth, the legend himself, Karaya, based on the very modest-looking invite link in the description of his videos

All in all, it feels pretty good to make another comeback, and while I've sadly noticed that the servers have become much more empty over time, I hope that will change with the upcoming TrueSky and 4K updates and whatnot. Nonetheless, I'll see you all up in the skies and in the TeamSpeak channels whenever that may be!

'He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.' - Confucius

Primary PC specs: Windows 10, Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz, NVidia GeForce GTX 1660, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T.16000. FCS + Throttle, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip + Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: So, Here We Are - Again

Welcome back!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Welcome back!

Good to see you again, Snapper! I hope you've been keeping well after all this time.

Primary PC specs: Windows 10, Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz, NVidia GeForce GTX 1660, 32Gb RAM, Thrustmaster T.16000. FCS + Throttle, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip + Pro

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I played Hell Let Loose for a long time, its become a dissapointment optimization is still wretched. That game has great potential too has a great " feel" to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

rmiles.

long time!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    rmiles.

long time!

Highseas, good to see you as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    I played Hell Let Loose for a long time, its become a dissapointment optimization is still wretched. That game has great potential too has a great " feel" to it.

I agree with you, honestly. I'm certainly looking forward to them adding British forces into the game. But in the end, I do still prefer Post Scriptum over Hell Let Loose - PS feels like what a mil-sim game should be, whereas HLL is somewhat more arcade-y and like a somewhat more grounded Call Of Duty more than anything.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Have you tried PS? I started in it then tried to make a switch to HLL. Too many run and gun types, comms would just stop working in game (3rd party voips the devs integrated into the game).
    Basically what Miles said above.

Try PS. I think you will like it. Extremely steep learning curve though.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes I have, and it is the dismal amount of people playing PS is excellent otherwise much better than HLL. Checkout beyond the wire on steam, looks outstanding. HLL took a dive because they started porting the game to console before fixing the PC game, and fufilling promises. We should have had UK in the game a long time back. And the graphics, wow, you can not see anything, and people think 200 meters is a long shot, big ole LOL on that one. Its a damned shame too. I got into HLL when it was very new, I had high hopes, they also need to get off the UNr4 engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

Yes I have, and it is the dismal amount of people playing PS is excellent otherwise much better than HLL. Checkout beyond the wire on steam, looks outstanding. HLL took a dive because they started porting the game to console before fixing the PC game, and fufilling promises. We should have had UK in the game a long time back. And the graphics, wow, you can not see anything, and people think 200 meters is a long shot, big ole LOL on that one. Its a damned shame too. I got into HLL when it was very new, I had high hopes, they also need to get off the UNr4 engine.
    Ah, yes, I played Beyond The Wire quite a while ago myself. Very solid game that made me think of a much more refined version of Verdun - and I was even more impressed to learn that it was also made by the very same people who gave us Squad and PS. And, yes, I agree with you on the graphics - even at the lowest quality settings I still couldn't make out anything in the distance, especially the infantry I ought to be shooting at. It does also frustrate me intensely that there isn't the function in-game to adjust your ironsights like in PS. Regardless, yeah, I agree that HLL has a lot of potential that's just sadly wasted away by the developers.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by rmiles View Post
    Ah, yes, I played Beyond The Wire quite a while ago myself. Very solid game that made me think of a much more refined version of Verdun - and I was even more impressed to learn that it was also made by the very same people who gave us Squad and PS. And, yes, I agree with you on the graphics - even at the lowest quality settings I still couldn't make out anything in the distance, especially the infantry I ought to be shooting at. It does also frustrate me intensely that there isn't the function in-game to adjust your ironsights like in PS. Regardless, yeah, I agree that HLL has a lot of potential that's just sadly wasted away by the developers.
    I have to admit though, before Battlefield 5 was taken over by cheaters, and abandoned by EA/Dice. I enjoyed the heck out of the Kubelwagon. GREAT Anti Pedestrian Vehicle Yep Im that kinda FPS gamer, If I can kill you with it, at somepoint I will try

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by rmiles View Post
    When was the last time I did something like this? About a year ago? Probably.

Anyway, hello again all! It's been a while, but my keen interest in games such as Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose eventually led me back to this fine game series and its even finer community. Nowadays I'm more active on apps such as Discord, although I do believe there are a few IL-2 community servers on there that I might have a look at - one of which I think is owned by the man, the myth, the legend himself, Karaya, based on the very modest-looking invite link in the description of his videos

All in all, it feels pretty good to make another comeback, and while I've sadly noticed that the servers have become much more empty over time, I hope that will change with the upcoming TrueSky and 4K updates and whatnot. Nonetheless, I'll see you all up in the skies and in the TeamSpeak channels whenever that may be!

“I've sadly noticed that the servers have become much more empty over time, I hope that will change with the upcoming TrueSky and 4K updates and whatnot.”

I, too, was gone all of 2021, and was very disappointed when I found so few people and squadrons here when I came back.

Why are people waiting on updates to get back to flying in CLOD? It seems great as is. Is this also happening in DCS or BOX? Also, before I left, everyone was on Team Speak. What is so special about Discord? On TS, every squadron was listed on one screen. Now, I have to go to a website for each squadron to find out where everyone is??? That doesn’t make a lot of sense.

TWC-SLAG
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

13. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

dunno

on my part

my absence...

it was a shift in my world. On many levels, none of which i will share with you.

i also came back and it was lss than full server wise..

BUT... if you rock up onto a server... others will follow...

done that loads.. just get on...

arseing about at the edge of the pool is just stuid. Jump in.

Make it happen.

It's all i ever did.

have a crack at it !

'Seas

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

15. Likes Rostic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

dunno

on my part

my absence...

it was a shift in my world. On many levels, none of which i will share with you.

i also came back and it was lss than full server wise..

BUT... if you rock up onto a server... others will follow...

done that loads.. just get on...

arseing about at the edge of the pool is just stuid. Jump in.

Make it happen.

It's all i ever did.

have a crack at it !

'Seas
    Highseas,

I don’t read anything in your reply that would solve any of the problems in the above comments. Sorry, but I have been getting online at different times and on different days for months, and keep seeing the same 4-5 guys on the same server. This is not what was happening two years ago. There was a vibrant level of activity, with multiple people in multiple squadrons/servers being vectored to enemy formations.
    Maybe I’m somehow missing where those servers and people have moved to. If so, where are they? I would love to see some server websites/names/passwords, so I can join them.

Thanks,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Slag.......you raise a very important question and one that affects the whole flight sim world.
    No doubt about it, you are asking the question that we are all pondering but to which none of us really has the answer...and I think Seas may be suggesting....if you want to fly, just get on and fly! He is also correct about the fact that when one person jumps on a server, very often others soon follow.

Maybe there is far too much choice out there in internet world and that, vast choice, is spreading us all too thin? Personally, I stick with CLoD because my rig won't support DCS or Flight Sim but that's ok because I still love it! It still offers plenty of challenge for me and there are, an admittedly, small but great bunch of chaps who regularly fly with me. We still use Team Speak for all our coms and like you, I don't really understand what benefits, if any, discord offers?

Yes, numbers are down but CLoD is where I wish to fly so that is where I put my time in. I also do my best to encourage others to enjoy it and look forward with optimism to others returning. They're all 'on the fringes' and, as they say........'returns may go up as well as down!' It takes two to pick a fight.....so I say: Get stuck in and enjoy....and to hell with the numbers! Salute!
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Nov-12-2022 at 07:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi Slag.......you raise a very important question and one that affects the whole flight sim world.
    No doubt about it, you are asking the question that we are all pondering but to which none of us really has the answer...and I think Seas may be suggesting....if you want to fly, just get on and fly! He is also correct about the fact that when one person jumps on a server, very often others soon follow.

Maybe there is far too much choice out there in internet world and that, vast choice, is spreading us all too thin? Personally, I stick with CLoD because my rig won't support DCS or Flight Sim but that's ok because I still love it! It still offers plenty of challenge for me and there are, an admittedly, small but great bunch of chaps who regularly fly with me. We still use Team Speak for all our coms and like you, I don't really understand what benefits, if any, discord offers?

Yes, numbers are down but CLoD is where I wish to fly so that is where I put my time in. I also do my best to encourage others to enjoy it and look forward with optimism to others returning. They're all 'on the fringes' and, as they say........'returns may go up as well as down!' It takes two to pick a fight.....so I say: Get stuck in and enjoy....and to hell with the numbers! Salute!
    Marlow,

Good response. I will, and am, continuing to fly. But with a great desire to repeat the “good old days” when the servers were full. I plan on asking about what happened until someone decides to fess up.. I would think someone like Team Fusion would have an interest in letting us all know the facts.

Thanks,

SLAG

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SLAG View Post
    Marlow,

Good response. I will, and am, continuing to fly. But with a great desire to repeat the “good old days” when the servers were full. I plan on asking about what happened until someone decides to fess up.. I would think someone like Team Fusion would have an interest in letting us all know the facts.

Thanks,

SLAG
    Until someone decides to fess up?

Come on! It's a flight sim !

There are no malevolent forces at work other than gravity !

I'm pretty confident nobody has any 'facts' that they are keeping from anyone else.

'Seas

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

@slag

Check PM

'Seas

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

'Seas
    Well, there still is Noofy ...

Seriously, yes: server population is low. Me too, I don't understand people saying they are waiting for this and that to join again, because it is a hell of fun to fly the sim as it is.
    What is sadly missing atm (much more than any additional eye candy imho) is better public relation, events and campaigns.
    All of these are connected to the same fact: lack of people who are just doing it and have the abilities to do it.

As Pattle wrote in another forum, he was promoted in his real life job and is working 60 h per week, so he had to give TFS work a break.
    Now Snapper is helping out there as well (and big thanks for that) but that means he has even less time to think about events.
    The (otherwise brilliant) TWC campaing is going nowhere atm and I haven't seen TWC_Flug or TWC_FatalError for month. I truly hope they are well.

So, all this boils down to a well-known fact: CLOD is not done by a commercial company that can replace or increase staff at will, but is dependent on the work of love from volunteers.
    If one of them has to quit for some reason or other it is bitterly felt.

And, let's be honest: the age structure of the community is playing against us. You cannot imagine how old I feel on a Sunday morning like thus at 8:30!
    Still, I'm hopping in a plane now, as every Sunday mornig or Tuesday evening.

Come and join and shoot me down! (It's not very hard, promise

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

I've sadly noticed that the servers have become much more empty over time, I hope that will change with the upcoming TrueSky and 4K updates and whatnot.
    I, too, was gone all of 2021, and was very disappointed when I found so few people and squadrons here when I came back.Why are people waiting on updates to get back to flying in CLOD? It seems great as is.
    I hope too, that CloD visual update return players to this game. I know a lot of people I flew CloD and one day they tried VR and since that moment I hear only: "No way back to flat screen!". For other it is changes in real life. For me it is russian invasion to my country, so I had to evacuate from Kherson and left all "toys" there. Albeit it was liberated few days ago, it is still impossible to return for a long time due to destruction of civilian ifrastructure in high risk of shelling the town. Luckily I safe and well now. Also I was able to evacuate my PC so from time to time I can run CloD and fly as gunner while AIs playing the game. Sounds crazy? But I love CloD.

Is this also happening in DCS or BOX?
    If you look to that steam charts you will see that in numbers MSFS is great at 11k pilots every day, DCS is good with 1.2k pilots, and BoX is not too bad with 300 and all these games can be bought in other games stores so real numbers much higher. At same time CloD avarage population is only 30 pilots and no other game stores.

Also, before I left, everyone was on Team Speak. What is so special about Discord? On TS, every squadron was listed on one screen. Now, I have to go to a website for each squadron to find out where everyone is??? That doesn’t make a lot of sense.
    TeamSpeak is paid, Discord is free. WEB server with forum is paid and need high skills from administrator, Discord is free and any kid can manage it. So this is the reason some squadrons decided to migrate. Of course Discord has a lot of limitations like no Whispers in voice channels. But it is super easy to use. You have push notifications on your smartphones for impornant messages and PMs. It is the only place where you can read news, watch videos, communicate with people in text and voice chat. When you talking with some one and want to share picture or link to video it is done in same place. It is unlimited storage for files (less that 8Mb in size for free). You can run vdeo stream there - great thing for briefings!
    First 15 minutes showcasing this feature: https://youtu.be/08-cS5_Y9WI
    My goup Flying Tin Cans appeared year ago and we started with forum, teamspeak and discord. Now forum almost dead, it is just a place for registration to pilots database we use for campaign. TeamSpeak in use only beacuse Discord do not have whispers and hotkeys for switching voice channel (we use switching channel to simulate real radio of WW2 period). When this fuctions becomes available in Discord - TeamSpeak die same day!
    Last edited by Rostic; Nov-13-2022 at 08:51.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

23. Likes Dawson, Josef, Little Bill, ATAG_Noofy, DUI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Well, there still is Noofy ...
    I took good note of that…
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Until someone decides to fess up?

Come on! It's a flight sim !

I'm pretty confident nobody has any 'facts' that they are keeping from anyone else.

'Seas
    I was alluding to Team Fusion when I said “someone”. Relax. I made some comments about the current state of play. That doesn’t mean I have to come up with a solution. How could I, in my capacity as a user? In answer to your suggestion: NO. Let’s end it HERE.

League City, TX

26. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Cliffs is a great sim as it is, what in missing in my opinion is interesting missions, a lot of the older missions have not being updated to include the newer aircraft. TWC have done a great job on Operation Jubilee, adding Trusky, VR and new aircraft will be most welcome. but new multiplayer missions will also be needed.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_JackMaxx View Post
    Cliffs is a great sim as it is, what in missing in my opinion is interesting missions, a lot of the older missions have not being updated to include the newer aircraft. TWC have done a great job on Operation Jubilee, adding Trusky, VR and new aircraft will be most welcome. but new multiplayer missions will also be needed.
    There are three major problems with the ATAG missions imho:
    1) Including the new aircraft will leave out all those who do not own Tobruk, so that's why ATAG has two servers. No idea how they are going to deal with this when 6.0 is out. Three servers?
    2) Once you know how to pick up the spy or where to shoot down Rommel, well you just do it over and over again. Some of the old missions were so well known that veteran squads knew where to park above the relevant airfields, to completely dominate the whole mission.
    3) Nothing much to do for bombers and strafers. Basically you are just bait for the fighters.

Building and balancing these missions is a lot of work, so we are down to the problem of 'the few' again.
    Even before Tobruk the number of players on ATAG servers dwindled and most players migrated to DangerDogz, where there was no mission at all, but the chance for quick dogfights and a lot of AI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I used to really like the leadfarm server.

Mindlessly knock a bunch of planes out of the sky with your brain in the overhead locker.

Plenty of times I would have a quick warm up in there, and then hit the ATAG server for a spot of derring do...

I don't have very much time available these days. And the evenings are pretty much dedicated to unwinding from work... or running my "mathematics for daughters" lessons.

Also my PC went bang mid last week.... so... wings clipped for a bit....

"two weeks" !!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

30. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.97 MB

...Hm.

Clearly I'm quite late to the party, but I'm weirdly glad to see that my pointing out of CloD's declining activity has sparked quite the debate.

Either way, I do just hope the game and its community will see at least somewhat of an influx in activity and new players with the VR and trueSky updates. It's been a while since there's been a proper human v. human furball over Hellfire Corner.

32. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.31 MB

Well, I have logged on a weekend night to see only 2 servers on Box ever populated and they are still only 95 pilots in total. Same goes for DCS WWII...It is not like a server is getting any major numbers even on the major sims. DCS, CLOD and Box all tell for WWII pull about 500 pilots of the total market.

I think that what really could help CLOD with the Desert MAP is a Carrier, that would bring the Navy junkies and some of us who spent hours in Pacific fighters trying to get the heaviest Corsair off the deck LOL.

I hope Flug reworks the Torbuk map and carriers, and we put that up permanently when the Visual Update is released. PS have it run just like Jubilee!

I for one saw a market with BOX for just a pure Dogfight Server with a rotation of MAPS and I will be putting another box on the desert map for those that do WWI, need a script every 2 minutes tell how many pilots are at each base so that when you log on you have competition. Then maybe a box for one v one. on the other side of the map close quarters.

I can do the same thing just off Isle of Wight for one v one.

Numbers are exponential with running a flight sim server and since I was the lead with Spits vs 109 and Zekes vs Wildcats. Holding onto a small group of people is tough as thing move forward. Many stayed behind with 1946 w/ all the patches other took the ride with CLOD we fell in love with what TF has given back to us and are grateful.
    The major problem is we are all aging very fast and recruiting younger players away from the other 2 is going to be hard.

Right now, I have DCS but struggle to enjoy the Channel map when the plane set dose not match, and it takes them six years to release a plane. So, I will be dead by the time someone build that into the Battle of Britain LOL. As for BoX I use a touch screen overlay for DCS and CLOD so Box is a royal pain because I cannot use it. So, I am sticking with CLOD for now I have close to 10000 hrs flight time between CLOD '11 and TF BLITZ. I enjoy all the sims but realized I have only so much free time during the morning and evening. I fly with just a few mates and getting together is hard. I am on 9 to 10 am GMT broadcasting LIVE on YouTube. I will fly fighter sweeps on the Campaign Server or scrap with anyone on the Dogfight Server.

I see the amazing possibilities with this TEAM and look forward to what they are planning. The move to 4k will make everything pop since I fly the game in 4k on a 40inch Samsung (I do not recommend any other TV). Spotting has been easy I do hope the guys are working on the MP DOT issue, still getting that weird BUG over the plane within 1000 yards looks like a thick X.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

BlacKnight
    Last edited by BlacKnight; Dec-12-2022 at 13:36.