Thread: Curved Monitor use? Good or bad, coments

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Question Curved Monitor use? Good or bad, coments

Looking to build/get a new gaming PC since its time to retire win XP.

Does anyone use a curved monitor for flight sim? Any issues that you have found or any advantages?

How about using with Track/IR?

Thanks

2. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Re: Curved Monitor use? Good or bad, coments

Curved display may be good in case it is ultrawide really big size (40+ inches). Nice for content creators with a lot of windows. Flat screen is better for entertainment. 27" - 32" 16:9 or 16:10 QHD (2560x1440) flat screen is best for Track IR.

But I suggest to buy VR headset and good videocard for airsimmng.
    Last edited by Rostic; Nov-06-2022 at 14:57.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

4. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have a 50" Samsung curved screen TV but found it lacking for CLoD. The center of the circle defining the arc of curvature was about 10' from screen center. So, unless you sit 10' from the screen, there is still no constant distance to the image which is what curved screen is all about. I put it in the bedroom and find that use to be very nice.

For gaming, I bought an LG 50" OLEDC7P (Flatscreen) which is truly spectacular. (Except for the price).

Don't compromise on the Graphics card though. Go ahead and spring for an Nvidia RTX 3080ti for 50" 4k gaming... you won't regret it. (Your wife might, but you won't).
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-06-2022 at 16:44.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

6. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I also use a 50" lg oled tv, I would highly endorse Baffin's remarks, go for a high quality, Large, high refresh tv and the best GPU your budget will allow
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Lawndart Jedi View Post

Does anyone use a curved monitor for flight sim? Any issues that you have found or any advantages?

Thanks
    I have a 32” Benq 1440p curved monitor and upgraded to a 32” 4K flatscreen. Curve is nice but no appreciable difference between curved and flat, least as far as I could tell. Others above I agree with, you want immersion, get a VR headset when time is right.
    Paul
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Rostic View Post
    Curved display may be good in case it is ultrawide really big size (40+ inches). Nice for content creators with a lot of windows. Flat screen is better for entertainment. 27" - 32" 16:9 or 16:10 QHD (2560x1440) flat screen is best for Track IR.

But I suggest to buy VR headset and good videocard for airsimmng.
    I just got into VR, and listen to that advice........ WOW! I dont think I will ever be able to Fly with a monitor again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by paul_leonard View Post
    get a VR headset when time is right.
    Make sure you also budget for a high powered graphics card etc.

without a high end machine you won't be wanting a high end headset.

For my part i flit from VR to flat screen. depending on whether i want visual candy outside, or a lovely cockit and sence of nausea in the turns!!

Both have their merits.

Car racing sims... VR all the way.... !

Flight sims...

Both are great as long as you have head tracking on a flat screen. I really can't imagine doing this without being able to look around .

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Lawndart Jedi View Post

Thanks
    replied above... Track IR is a must. and you can easily get lost in the flight just with that.

VR eadset... you need a pretty heafty budget for a high end heaset, as you will need a high end card. and a high end machine to bung it in.

Its expensive.... and as everything with PC... it all goes out of date fairly swiftly !!

EDIT:

Don't let me put you off though !

VR is pretty spectacular.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

I have a VR question, and this question address’s the elephant in the room for me when it comes to going VR. How do you handle having to touch things on the desk top when playing a flight simulator game?

I just went through my switch and axis needs for a typical flight and I need to touch over 20 switches and 5 axis levers in addition to the joystick. Plus I need to look at two maps, one being the in-game map and the other is the TWC contact map which is on a window & presently is on a second monitor to my left.

Many of the controls are on the joystick which require no visual reference to find, but some are on the Warthog throttle which I still have to look for at times, and then there is the Falcon Gear Quadrant to the left of the throttle that I have to touch to adjust trim and radiator. And have you ever wanted to write something down while flying, or look at a reference sheet of information, how is that addressed in VR?

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I have a VR question, and this question address’s the elephant in the room for me when it comes to going VR. How do you handle having to touch things on the desk top when playing a flight simulator game?

I just went through my switch and axis needs for a typical flight and I need to touch over 20 switches and 5 axis levers in addition to the joystick. Plus I need to look at two maps, one being the in-game map and the other is the TWC contact map which is on a window & presently is on a second monitor to my left.

Many of the controls are on the joystick which require no visual reference to find, but some are on the Warthog throttle which I still have to look for at times, and then there is the Falcon Gear Quadrant to the left of the throttle that I have to touch to adjust trim and radiator. And have you ever wanted to write something down while flying, or look at a reference sheet of information, how is that addressed in VR?
    That's exactly why I stopped using VR. I just could not move around realistically so instead, I've concentrated on big-screen 4K with sensitive TrackIR4 and a "Close to the screen" seating position. (Reading glasses required) I have stopped setting up controls for convenience and instead chose to position the physical controllers to approximate the actual position of the cockpit controls. For example, gear up in the Spitfire is a right handed operation... radiator control and trims are left handed.

This required some re-education training, but now that I'm used to it, any other control philosophy simply makes no sense to me. Cyber controls need to approximate the real thing for any degree of realism.

I also use keyboard commands when necessary, that approximate the switch positions. Ex: Q and W for ignition magnetos; F and R for Flaps and Retraction. They may not be in exactly the same place as the aircraft, but they do require a similar manipulation with the hands and fingers. Canopy operation is either hand in the upper center... "O" key does the trick for me.

It certainly is not as "Visually Immersive" as VR, but it does have higher detail resolution and I can drink my hot coffee or tea without fogging my screen...
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

14. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post

VR has pluses and minuses. You have to do everything by touch. First you fumble around like a blind man (duh) and then you start getting better at fumbling around like a blind man. It comes with practice. I also play classical guitar (badly) but I don't look at the frets that my left fingers are moving to, and I don't look at the precise string that my right handpicking. But at the beginning I had to, slowly, as I learned. I don't look at my hands when I shift gears in my car either.

I also just received my order for the Point-Ctrl "finger mouse" controls that can be used in DCS to allow you to reach out and control the virtual cockpit with your actual fingers. Will be seeing if I can make it work in CLoD which as we know has interactive cockpit controls. Finally I use Voice Attack voice recognition to voice-to-keypress to manage other things like say "open canopy" or request landing permission. Talking may not be historically accurate for say landing gear, but was for requesting permission to land. Apparently the Rafale (or is it Eurofighter?) has voice recognition. Voice Attack is not expensive at $10.

I know it's a lot and a further investment in time. But to me there is nothing comparable to putting on the headset and being in the cockpit. Nothing.
    Paul
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

16. Likes Little Bill, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I get both these last threads.

like Baffin I've flown cliffs (for way less time than he has) on a "flat" screen, with track IR

It is epic. Has been for ages.

We dont yet have VR in Cliffs. It is in testing.

We do though have a really tight loving and inclusive comunity

Pretty much all of us on flat screens and Track IR (which is awesome as I said)

For my own part i don't see this becoming a 2D vs 3D thing.

sure as hell hope not

In my squad I'm the only one 3D enabled.

and also the one calling on comms to my wingman Vamps... hey,, vamps... im blind... (and thats in 2D)

basically this sim had plenty of legs

When VR is released I can see myself flying both. Track IR is definitly not to be sniffed at... bang for buck it blows VR out of the water.

It is a fraction of the cost, give loads of immersion... and visualy quality is assured.

VR is a fickle beast.

its amazing... but... also often infuriating.

Back to the topic:

Curved screen...

I had one...

got a bigger flat one.

to be quite honest the cured thing? dont waste any money on that as a feature... unles your head is tiny, in a massively curved screen?

no...

its nonsence

i sold mine.

never missed it.

never really got anything notable out of it that i recall either

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

18. Likes ATAG_Lenny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by paul_leonard View Post
    It comes with practice. I also play classical guitar (badly) but I don't look at the frets that my left fingers are moving to, and I don't look at the precise string that my right handpicking. But at the beginning I had to, slowly, as I learned. I don't look at my hands when I shift gears in my car either.
    This regards VR awreness is bang on

Cheers Lenny !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

20. Likes Little Bill, ATAG_Lenny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    I've concentrated on big-screen 4K with sensitive TrackIR4 and a "Close to the screen" seating position. (Reading glasses required) I have stopped setting up controls for convenience and instead chose to position the physical controllers to approximate the actual position of the cockpit controls. For example, gear up in the Spitfire is a right handed operation... radiator control and trims are left handed.

This required some re-education training, but now that I'm used to it, any other control philosophy simply makes no sense to me.:
    Also spot on

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Regards curved monitor or not.

It makes no difference. Had both. One cost a lot more... so.. for the same money. Flat... unless you have an infintely curved wallet

regards 2d 3d....

I have cut quotes from the threads above

3d or 2d?

Please read the original posts in full.

To me its both. Depending on your flight mission.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals