Thread: AI Flak guns

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    269.74 MB

AI Flak guns

So I just put down flak 88mms guns etc and they fire well enough but they seem to be pretty ineffectual. Should I be putting down anything else which might make them more accurate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Re: AI Flak guns

Heavy AA is firing at targets that are far away, typical flight times are 15 - 20 seconds, lots of time for the target to change course. For that reason they were deployed in four gun batteries controlled by a fire director. The director was a computer that told gunners where to aim and how long to set the fuse timer. When the time runs out the round explodes sending shrapnel in all directions. By firing as quickly as possible, guided by the director, you hope to cause some damage to passing enemy aircraft. But it's a numbers game.

In the summer of 1940 there were around 100 heavy AA guns along the Thames east of London. If you fly 200 - 300 bombers over that, going and coming back, you'll see lots of hits.

For more on this I recommend the Pile report

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=191

and this for the 88 including describing the functionality of the Mk 36 fire director.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=220

3. Likes ATAG_Colander, Dauntless liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    269.74 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    Heavy AA is firing at targets that are far away, typical flight times are 15 - 20 seconds, lots of time for the target to change course. For that reason they were deployed in four gun batteries controlled by a fire director. The director was a computer that told gunners where to aim and how long to set the fuse timer. When the time runs out the round explodes sending shrapnel in all directions. By firing as quickly as possible, guided by the director, you hope to cause some damage to passing enemy aircraft. But it's a numbers game.

In the summer of 1940 there were around 100 heavy AA guns along the Thames east of London. If you fly 200 - 300 bombers over that, going and coming back, you'll see lots of hits.

For more on this I recommend the Pile report

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=191

and this for the 88 including describing the functionality of the Mk 36 fire director.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=220
    Thank you ATAG_Oskar

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

FYI there is a way in a CloD mission to set an AIChief that directs several artillery pieces in the way Oskar describes.

It has to be set up somewhat by hand but it seems to work.

Example mission file code to do this:

Code:
    [AIChiefs]
                        AIChief_0 0 12383 17457/r 500
                        ###(coordinates and the name of his can be set by creator)

###then by hand only, alas, the relevant anti-aircraft guns tied to Chief, "/target AIChief_0 ", like this:

[Stationary]
                        Static0 Artillery.3_inch_20_CWT_QF_Mk_I gb 12329.35 17412.88 0.00 /timeout 0/radius_hide 0 /target AIChief_0
                        Static5 Artillery.3_7_inch_QF_Mk_I gb 12308.17 17452.48 0.00 /timeout 0/radius_hide 0 /target AIChief_0
    More info: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...hp/t-5830.html
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

I will also mention - there is a similar "AI" unit for airfields. It's in the same category in FMB as the Ai Chief for the antiaircraft.

I don't know exactly how the airport AI works, but presumably (in similar fashion to the AA AI Chief) it organizes taxi, takeoffs, landings, etc at an airfield for AI aircraft in the vicinity. Also maybe it operates those Tab-4 menu items where you can request clearance for takeoff and landings and such.

I don't know how to make this airfield AI Chief work or exactly what it does and I haven't had time to experiment with it.

But I'd never noticed it before and just happened to notice it in FMB the other day, so I thought I'd mention it. Maybe someone knows more, or maybe it is something TF could look at and either fix up a bit or make use of somehow.

Just for example, here is a listing of various rules & procedures AI aircraft follow in the BOX sims. Clearly the AI in CloD follow some similar type rules, and possible the airfield AI Chief plays a role in this. Again I don't know the details and it's possible (like many things from the original 2011 sim) things might be a bit broken or 90% working and 10% borked.

FYI!
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Flug View Post
    Example mission file code to do this:

Code:
    [AIChiefs]
                        AIChief_0 0 12383 17457/r 500
                        ###(coordinates and the name of his can be set by creator)

###then by hand only, alas, the relevant anti-aircraft guns tied to Chief, "/target AIChief_0 ", like this:

[Stationary]
                        Static0 Artillery.3_inch_20_CWT_QF_Mk_I gb 12329.35 17412.88 0.00 /timeout 0/radius_hide 0 /target AIChief_0
                        Static5 Artillery.3_7_inch_QF_Mk_I gb 12308.17 17452.48 0.00 /timeout 0/radius_hide 0 /target AIChief_0
    More info: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...hp/t-5830.html
    One note on this - I **believe** there is a limit to how many artillery a single AI unit can handle. Maybe it is 8 or so?

When I spawned in a single aichief with like 15 artillery/aa it didn't seem to work. So my guess is, there is some upper limit. I haven't had a chance to experiment more, though.