Thread: Taxiing in a Gladiator?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

Taxiing in a Gladiator?

Hi all,

Just bought Tobruk, but I've been having a bit of trouble taxiing in the Gladiator. Pretty much as soon as the engine starts, I start spinning to the left. Applying right rudder straightens me out, but then when it comes to actually taxiing, the plane seems to find it impossible to turn right, and always wants to spin to the left. In the end, I've had to keep jabbing the wheel brakes to eventually tease it into turning ever so slightly to the left.

Of course, the autopilot has no such problems and can make the plane spin on the spot - so what am I doing wrong?

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: Taxiing in a Gladiator?

I’d guess you got your left wheel stuck. Like brakes applied to the left wheel only (it doesn’t have toe brakes from what I know, so it must be left rudder and brakes full on).

Since you are using the brakes correctly from the looks of it and your rudder is working, I’d look for conflicting bindings for the brake and rudder.

Edit: how do the Spitfire and the Hurricane behave in the same situation (have differential braking tied to the rudder and stick lever)? And the 109 (has toe brakes)?
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Last time I flew the Gladiator it had independent toe brakes in the game which is an error so a stuck left brake is a possibility.

4. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Did a test with Gladiator.

When release Wheel Chocks plane tends to go left, but easy to correct with rudder, and reduce throttle after start move.

Then no problem in taxi using just rudder, can make right and left turns.

Looks like that Gladiator don't have differential brakes (brake and move rudder pedal like Spit) see in the picture:

• Full left rudder
    • Brakes applied ~80%
    • But the pressure indicator show both wheel braked equally.

GBrakes.jpg

Brakes don't respond for the keys assigned for Full Right Wheel Brake and Full Left Wheel Brake.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

Without wishing to bump an old thread, I wanted to come back to this with the resolution. It seems it may actually have been something up with the Gladiator campaign missions, as the Gladiator didn't have the same issue on a quick mission. Turning the AI on for a second and then turning it off let me taxi freely. I'm guessing it may start with just one of the brakes locked on?

7. Likes Little Bill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by king_spoon_ian View Post
    Without wishing to bump an old thread, I wanted to come back to this with the resolution. It seems it may actually have been something up with the Gladiator campaign missions, as the Gladiator didn't have the same issue on a quick mission. Turning the AI on for a second and then turning it off let me taxi freely. I'm guessing it may start with just one of the brakes locked on?
    Ian, have a look at the pneumatic pressure gauge. It's behind the control grip, above the magnetic compass. This will show you what brakes are on. I suspect your mission has spawned your plane with brakes on, as sometimes happens, but because the Gladiator brakes aren't working right only the left brake is engaged. Tapping your brakes may disengage both sides.

The Gladiator is using toe brake controls instead of the grip lever. When I use the grip lever brakes, via an axis or button, I notice left and right needles breifly go to full then one will drop to zero without touching the rudder controls.

9. Likes king_spoon_ian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

In all single player missions (and most probably also in online missions) all aircraft spawns in with wheelbrakes locked.
    This is why in each and every flashcard and short manual for each and every aircraft (except the Tiger Moth which has no brakes), you'll find a sentence like "Tap your brakes control once to release the brakes".

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    In all single player missions (and most probably also in online missions) all aircraft spawns in with wheelbrakes locked.
    This is why in each and every flashcard and short manual for each and every aircraft (except the Tiger Moth which has no brakes), you'll find a sentence like "Tap your brakes control once to release the brakes".
    Only in this case tapping the brakes control (or the button I have bound to wheelbrakes) was not releasing the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson
    Ian, have a look at the pneumatic pressure gauge. It's behind the control grip, above the magnetic compass. This will show you what brakes are on. I suspect your mission has spawned your plane with brakes on, as sometimes happens, but because the Gladiator brakes aren't working right only the left brake is engaged. Tapping your brakes may disengage both sides.

The Gladiator is using toe brake controls instead of the grip lever. When I use the grip lever brakes, via an axis or button, I notice left and right needles breifly go to full then one will drop to zero without touching the rudder controls.
    Thanks for this. I'll have another look when I next go on. Just wish the enemy AI was a bit better, and didn't keep barrel rolling into the ground...
    Last edited by king_spoon_ian; Jan-28-2023 at 17:43.