Thread: Button/axis/switch box - need a parts list?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Button/axis/switch box - need a parts list?

Hi all

Been a long while, but I'm considering getting back into flight simming. When I am flight simming I usually play IL2 1946, CloD and DCS.

A long while ago, about 7 to 10 years ago I made myself a rudimentary trim box, it consists of a black ABS project box, Leo Bodnar BU0836A board, 3 bourns 10 turn pots and some reasonable looking knobs attached to the pots.

I wanted to make something a bit more elaborate, with toggle switches and buttons, but I didn't get that far.

So, I'm looking at it again, but like before I'm lost as to what parts to buy.

I'd like small toggle switches that can be pushed up for a function and down for a function (like selecting engines), and automatically returned to centre with no input when centred (i.e. a neutral position).

I'd like small buttons that are pressed for on and are off when not pressed.

I'd like larger button for an engine start function, something about 25mm in diameter.

I'd also like to attach an LED to the Bodnar board to show that it's on when plugged in.

I'd also like something to use for things like flaps, not just for up or down, but with various degrees in between, but I don't want a big lever, just something small - I'm thinking rotary encoder with a dial already on it, but again I don't know what I'm looking for.

Would anyone here be able to help me out with a parts list and some links to the items and some instructions if possible of how to do the LED?

Thanks in advance.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

Re: Button/axis/switch box - need a parts list?

I’m sure you get real satisfaction from making your own equipment, but you should be aware that Gear Falcon makes a very nice trim box with actuators. He advertises in the hardware section of these forums, on Etsy and his own website. If you still prefer to make your own, he might be a source of advice as I’ve seen images of units under construction. Paul
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Hi Raven,
    I modified a Saitek X45 with a module that supports MMjoy2, read the attached link, you may find something that inspires you https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4038476/1. Success
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

I made these: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=36354

Plus a throttle quadrant from an old Sidewinder and 3D printed parts, which works fine (although the pots from the joystick are, unsurprisingly, utter trash with enormous dead zones).

Switches can all be sourced from ebay, just search for the type you want; toggle off (on), toggle (on) off (on), momentary, etc.

Leobodnar boards still seem the way to go, I used Arduino boards and they were a total pain to program and I still don't have it right on one, as every now and then, one of the rotary encoders on one board loses itself and I have to turn them all in sequence to activate it again.

If I were to build it again, which I may, I would use the Leobodnar boards 100%.

LEDs are simple enough, just ensure it has the correct voltage and resistor, otherwise it'll release its fairies quite quickly, although if you're powering through a USB bus, be mindful you're not putting a huge current draw on the cable and interface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    29.54 MB

DP