Thread: Greetings

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.3 KB

Greetings

hi all

I'm new to CLOD (and flight sims in general). I've spent a few weeks acquiring hardware, upgrading PC, and learning the basics of the sim. It's been fun. It has a few quirks but is an excellent sim, so hats off to the developers.

I have now completed a few sorties in the Wellington (Tobruk map), so I am feeling more than a newbie, as I can complete sorties with complex engine management, however I've not taken part in multiplayer as yet, but would like to do so, esp in Wellington or Blenheim.

I've enjoyed getting to know the bombers and the bomb runs have been a steep learning curve. I look forward to learning more from the forum!

Fun fact: My grandfather served in the RAF (ground crew) in 601 County of London Squadron, and was deployed to the Tobruk region.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Greetings

Welcome to the fun!

More Wimpy pilots are always needed!

Hope to see you online soon.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Welcome to the forum, heggers!

Based on your interest in Wellingtons and Blennies, I have provided you access to The Wimpey Squad:

Wimpey Squad General Discussion (theairtacticalassaultgroup.com)

Feel free to browse around there and ask any questions that come to mind. Your new squad took a vote and you have been nominated to lead our next mission! (Just kidding!!!) Seriously, if you've figured out how to stagger a Wellie into the air, you're more than qualified and welcome to join us in future adventures online.

Cheers!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hey Heggers!!!!! Good man! Great to have you with us!

As Derda has already said, it is brilliant to have another 'bus' driver amongst us! And the CLoD Wimpy is truly a wonderful aircraft, a veritable work of art. The cockpit, I'm sure you will agree, is beautiful!

We would love you to join us on multiplayer but we all remember how daunting it can seem....even though you have discovered the friendliest bunch in the entire Flight sim universe....... to jump on a channel or server where you don't know anybody. We can solve that!

If you fancy a quiet practice run in Blennies or Wellingtons on Multiplayer, I'm your man. We can have a sortie or three, do some straight forward bombing raids or some Wellington fuel depot or airfield repair on the TWC Campaign Server. The choice of mission will be entirely yours..... and I can hopefully fill you in on how the various servers work and throw in a few tips and hints for good measure.

Or...alternatively..... you can quickly show me how it's REALLY done! Ha ha!

You will need to download Team Speak for multiplayer. This is the free software that we use to chat and cooperate on sorties. More info can be found here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...read.php?t=732

Alternatively, you could just 'throw yourself in at the deep end and join any server where you see other players. We are really a friendly bunch and we like to support and help where we can. When you feel ready just say 'hello' and.....Bob's yer Uncle!

It was interesting to hear about your Grandfather. We are all aviation nuts on here so do tell us his story when you have time. We'd love to see pictures, too, if you have any.

If you fancy a sortie in the Welly or any other aircraft let me know by PM (Private message in the Forum) or on this thread. I'll find it and we can go from there. In the meantime, keep up the training. I'm sure you will already have found the pilot 'Manuals' in the In Game Menu? Thought so!

It sounds like you are well on course! Have fun! Salute!

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, ATAG_Walstein liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.3 KB

Many thanks for the warm welcome... it's great to join the forum and get involved in historical sims.

@ATAG_Snapper - thanks for the invitation to the Wimpey Squad - I'll take a look, and no doubt post some questions.

@ATAG_Marlow - I greatly appreciate your kind offer of a training session. I have a lot of questions that I'm sure you'll be able to help me with... I'll get myself sorted out for multiplayer this week and get back to you.

I'll get onto my uncle and get my Grandad's photo album. He took a few pictures of his time there which will not have been seen by anyone outside his family. He died in 2011 but he told me plenty of stories when I was young about surviving air raids & strafing, and even going for a joy-ride in a captured Stuka.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Fantastic, Heggers!

My own dear old Dad was only 8 years old in 1940 but he experienced many things and some of the stories he told us were exciting, fascinating and some of them unfortunately, pretty gruesome! And he wasn't even of fighting age! Those past generations had a special and very rare quality, in that they found it within themselves to give so much. I'm sure your Grandfather was just the same and his stories will be equally fascinating, especially to us here in the Forum.

Great news that you have a photo album. I think our developers in TFS would be interested to see any photos of the terrain in N. Africa because Tobruk is always being corrected and improved. No rush at all, of course!

I wait to hear from you re our sortie.......and we can do whatever helps you most! Happy New Year and Salute!

8. Likes ATAG_Walstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Those boxes with old photographs can be really fascinating and make you think about who and what you are.
    If you want to take a look 'from the other side':
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=22866

S!

DerDa

10. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    You will need to download Team Speak for multiplayer. This is the free software that we use to chat and cooperate on sorties. More info can be found here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...read.php?t=732

That link above is quite out dated now

try here instead:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=23120

password calais

as Marlow said

friendliest crew on the planet.

And it's a source of massive pride to us here !

come be a part of it !

'Seas

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, ATAG_Marlow liked this post