Thread: Windsocks - anyone know how they work, or if there are any secrets, or if just bugged

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Windsocks - anyone know how they work, or if there are any secrets, or if just bugged

The latest version of the TWC campaign server has wind, with 9 layers of "globalwind" as described here:

https://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/for...t=8360#p111746

Since there is wind, I wanted to include windsocks - so we added those to all airfields (using Phil Style's excellent .mis file - he placed them manually at every airport on the map).

So here is the problem: On our test server, I checked dozens of windsocks and every one seems to work just exactly right. Wind is shown coming from the right direction and what looks like about the right speed.

But on the LIVE server, it looks like about half of the windsocks work correctly, and the other half are set to wind from 90 degrees (exactly?) and STRONG. They are stretched straight out, straight as an arrow, in that direction, like maybe a 30 knot wind.

So are the windsocks bugged somehow? Or is there a trick of some kind that is preventing some of them from working correctly?

FYI about half of them are set to Stationary.Environment.Windsock_Strong and the others to tobruktationary.Environment.Windsock_v2. Both types seem to function/malfunction identically.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this, or possible cures?

Here is the .mis file:

Genghis-initsubmission-Windsock-RunwayCross.zip

(I've added some wind to this in case anyone wants to load & try it. But usually it is loaded by script after the main mission file with the wind info - maybe that is part of the problem?)
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

2. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Windsocks - anyone know how they work, or if there are any secrets, or if just bu

A few years ago there was a limit to the number of windsocks that could be placed on the map, which if exceeded, they stopped working, from what I tested - offline, it was 64.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...7845&noquote=1

In your mission code are 175 reference for windsock.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-15-2023 at 15:27.

4. Likes ATAG_Noofy, Fred901 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Windsocks - anyone know how they work, or if there are any secrets, or if just bu

That would explain but why then did they seem to work on the test server?...

Flug, you don't need 2 windsocks per airfield. One is enough.

Also they are placed far too close to the runways and will certainly cause accidents.

If it helps, I would be happy to try to edit Phil Style's windsoc .mis file for you, by reducing the number of windsocks and re-locate them where they should be on the airfields
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

I suggest to place one windsocks per airfield near the parking place, so when you just spawned you will know where you have to taxy. But in case spawnpoints are around the whole airfield better to place windsock some where, where it will be clearly visible from most of spawn points.

But if wind information present on the briefing to the mission there is not much sense in windsock, it will be just nice immersive decoration.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

7. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rostic View Post
    I suggest to place one windsocks per airfield near the parking place, so when you just spawned you will know where you have to taxy. But in case spawnpoints are around the whole airfield better to place windsock some where, where it will be clearly visible from most of spawn points.

But if wind information present on the briefing to the mission there is not much sense in windsock, it will be just nice immersive decoration.
    No need windsock if Noofy has bomber the airfield.
    Lot of time, I set full throttle and pray to not falling in a crater, whatever the wind...
    "You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"

Win 11 Pro - I5-12600KF - 32GB Ram - RTX 3080 TI 12GB (non OC) - SSD Sata 970 GBB (System) - NVMe 980 GB (games storage) - Lenovo 27'' 144Hz - HP Reverb G2 v2 -
    WMR environment : Empty room (SkySpaces) - SteamVR resolution : 2192x2144 (48%)
    nVidia driver : 536.23

9. Likes ATAG_Noofy, DerDa, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    That would explain but why then did they seem to work on the test server?...

Flug, you don't need 2 windsocks per airfield. One is enough.

Also they are placed far too close to the runways and will certainly cause accidents.

If it helps, I would be happy to try to edit Phil Style's windsoc .mis file for you, by reducing the number of windsocks and re-locate them where they should be on the airfields
    If you're up for editing the file, that would be great!

Sounds like you also need to limit it to 64, also.

You could post it here and/or send it to me via Discord.

Thanks much!
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

11. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    A few years ago there was a limit to the number of windsocks that could be placed on the map, which if exceeded, they stopped working, from what I tested - offline, it was 64.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...7845&noquote=1

In your mission code are 175 reference for windsock.
    Aha, thanks - I'm sure that explains it.

Of course I didn't check every one of the 175 in the test server - maybe 20 or so, enough to make me think, "Well, that works fine."

In the other server I must have just happened to look at a different part of the map were we were above the 64 limit.

There are no end to the mysteries of CloD . . .