Thread: Yo-Yo has just uploaded For your freedom and ours - 303 Squadron!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Yo-Yo has just uploaded For your freedom and ours - 303 Squadron!

Hi,

I've made an 18 mission campaign that follows 303 Squadron as best as I can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38tq29lfjh...d_ours.7z?dl=0

Aircraft kills are tracked and displayed after success in a mission and on the second slide caption of the Mission briefing before you fly the next.

The first mission is an intro of sorts, I advise turning off the English radio chatter for this one at least, if not all missions.

There are probably a fair few bugs and issues remaining but it seems playable on my tests so far. I'll look to fix/update things I come across. For example I will most likely increase the gunnery of all fighters.

NB.

Not tested for VR, Truesky etc. as I am a normal user/customer.

Needs Tobruk I think, (if you play Cliffs at all, get Tobruk). I can't be bothered filtering out the Tobruk parts, objects etc.!

Some missions have randomised elements to them so they shouldn't play out exactly the same on different play throughs.

I have of course used 'artistic license' where I couldn't get information and to pad out missions. My intro is not historically accurate, but to represent the first activity.

Sources used include:

'For your freedom and ours' by Olsen and Cloud. A very good read.
    Wikipedia - battle of britain and 303 squadron pages etc.
    Imperial war museum https://www.iwm.org.uk/
    https://battleofbritain1940.com/

For me the story of 303 is perhaps the epitome of the Battle of Britain. It demonstrates the diversity of nationalities of the 'few' who took part, something that is still not widely known to the general public and will perhaps start to fade even more. It represents the 'World' nature of the war, how people were relocated by it, how they fought in places unknown to them before the war, with people they may never have met otherwise, and the general complex nature of the war and political situation in so many ways.

I hope you enjoy it, and positive, or er, gentle feedback is welcome.

Edit: It might be resource heavy for some missions, but I'm not sure if it is just London's buildings that stress things for me. If anything is really bad I'll trim things out, but for single player with a below average machine, I tolerate a fair bit performance-wise anyway. And in my tests, none of the missions were a problem, just a bit of clunckiness when tracking a 109 across the rooftops with my nose pointed straight down in London at low level.
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Apr-06-2023 at 07:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Re: Yo-Yo has just uploaded For your freedom and ours - 303 Squadron!

Wow! This is fun. Only flew the first mission so far!

NB: the script file "01.cs" doesn't work until line 185 is changed from

Code:
                else else if (missionId == 9)
    to
    Code:
                else if (missionId == 9)
    then it all works. Great stuff.

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

3. Likes Dauntless, Yo-Yo liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    Wow! This is fun. Only flew the first mission so far!

NB: the script file "01.cs" doesn't work until line 185 is changed from

Code:
                else else if (missionId == 9)
    to
    Code:
                else if (missionId == 9)
    then it all works. Great stuff.

Thank you for finding this, I've updated it and the download should have a corrected version now.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

5. Likes Bonditaria liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Somthing seems amiss around mission 7 with the stat tracking, I'll look into it and upload when fixed.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Think I fixed it (player flight didn't have the Mission briefing assigned to it for missions 8, 9 and 10.). Have updated the file on dropbox.

Edit: Oh dear, might actually have broken something, will test and repair.

Edit2: Think it is ok, I just didn't give the mission long enough to end properly.

If anyone has any issues please let me know.
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Apr-08-2023 at 14:54.

8. Likes zzzxxxxzzz, ATAG_Bubba, Bunialski liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Oh my God! Best Sim getting still new content. Please release beta update so we can see some ipmrovement in bug fixing on VR.

10. Likes ATAG_Lenny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Every once in a while everything works and with this new campaign I'm glad it does!After a long taxi tour around the airfield I get a new part of England to fly and fight over and what's more a nicely done soundtrack that begins about the same time as hostilities!I've never had that before ( I wonder if its present in other missions too?)
    My only gripe? I wishthe pretty little MGTA's around the airfield were painted in some bright color- no self respecting "Fighter Boy" would have had a dull grey "bus.":thumbsup:
    Win11 home x64, i7-7700 @ 3.60, Asus 3070 8gb, 16gm ram, Monitor Samsung 23' 1650x1080, Reverb G2, Nvidia driver 522.25

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Every once in a while everything works and with this new campaign I'm glad it does!After a long taxi tour around the airfield I get a new part of England to fly and fight over and what's more a nicely done soundtrack that begins about the same time as hostilities!I've never had that before ( I wonder if its present in other missions too?)
    My only gripe? I wishthe pretty little MGTA's around the airfield were painted in some bright color- no self respecting "Fighter Boy" would have had a dull grey "bus."
    Thanks. There is just one other musical 'easter egg' in a later mission. I didn't add more because:

1) It was time-consuming sourcing free, and totally license-free music
    2) I wasn't sure if it was to the taste of other people, I appreciate it is not 'realism' at all, but I do like the immersion into the 'era'. (I loved the music on SIlent Hunter Grey Wolves)
    3) Some people may fly with their own background music, I usually do, about 3 albums or so of 1930s blues, jazz and GI songs etc.

I considered having post take-off music, approaching home base music/approaching home base but damaged music etc. but, for the reasons above, decided not to.

The first mission has it because it is set up as the cheesy 'movie trailer' for the rest of the campaign focussing on the story of 303's first 'kill', and I wanted to practice putting wav files in! Also, if you shoot something down and then don't buzz/barrel-roll the tower you won't pass the mission either, again I didn't include that sort of thing in other missions because I figured it would annoy some people. The 'indisciplined' and emotional celebrations are a key thign to the story of that first encounter, so I figured it was ok to force it once.

Then I added the other music track to one other mission because there are some subtle reasons why I thought it fit (kind of hinted at in the after mission success text)

13. Likes major_setback, Sleepy_Fly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Personally I prefer Ray Noble and Al Bowlly
    https://www.google.com/search?q=let%...id:-SoqtXPyrSE
    Win11 home x64, i7-7700 @ 3.60, Asus 3070 8gb, 16gm ram, Monitor Samsung 23' 1650x1080, Reverb G2, Nvidia driver 522.25

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Apologies. I think this has been broken by recent updates. AI bombers fly into each other and I think there's also some method that cannot be found any more.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

I think I've managed to update the stat-tracking code on this now, also had to boost the added sound files as I think the Hurricane's enginge sound has been improved in the game but is louder now so drowned out my additions.

Let me know if there are any issues with the mission code/sound.

Original link should go to the updated version.

17. Likes zzzxxxxzzz, emmett_grogan liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.17 GB

Post Re: Yo-Yo has just uploaded For your freedom and ours - 303 Squadron!

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Hi,

I've made an 18 mission campaign that follows 303 Squadron as best as I can.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38tq29lfjh...d_ours.7z?dl=0

Aircraft kills are tracked and displayed after success in a mission and on the second slide caption of the Mission briefing before you fly the next.

The first mission is an intro of sorts, I advise turning off the English radio chatter for this one at least, if not all missions.

There are probably a fair few bugs and issues remaining but it seems playable on my tests so far. I'll look to fix/update things I come across. For example I will most likely increase the gunnery of all fighters.

NB.

Not tested for VR, Truesky etc. as I am a normal user/customer.

Needs Tobruk I think, (if you play Cliffs at all, get Tobruk). I can't be bothered filtering out the Tobruk parts, objects etc.!

Some missions have randomised elements to them so they shouldn't play out exactly the same on different play throughs.

I have of course used 'artistic license' where I couldn't get information and to pad out missions. My intro is not historically accurate, but to represent the first activity.

Sources used include:

'For your freedom and ours' by Olsen and Cloud. A very good read.
    Wikipedia - battle of britain and 303 squadron pages etc.
    Imperial war museum https://www.iwm.org.uk/
    https://battleofbritain1940.com/

For me the story of 303 is perhaps the epitome of the Battle of Britain. It demonstrates the diversity of nationalities of the 'few' who took part, something that is still not widely known to the general public and will perhaps start to fade even more. It represents the 'World' nature of the war, how people were relocated by it, how they fought in places unknown to them before the war, with people they may never have met otherwise, and the general complex nature of the war and political situation in so many ways.

I hope you enjoy it, and positive, or er, gentle feedback is welcome.

Edit: It might be resource heavy for some missions, but I'm not sure if it is just London's buildings that stress things for me. If anything is really bad I'll trim things out, but for single player with a below average machine, I tolerate a fair bit performance-wise anyway. And in my tests, none of the missions were a problem, just a bit of clunckiness when tracking a 109 across the rooftops with my nose pointed straight down in London at low level.
    Just downloaded your files. Can't wait to try them.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    242.92 MB

Thank you very much! Yo-Yo