Thread: Desert Wings Take Offs

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    410.0 KB

Desert Wings Take Offs

I find take offs very difficult, most planes bounce around like a tennis ball and crash. I can reduce the bounce by moving the stick forward, but take offs are still hazardous. Am I doing something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Re: Desert Wings Take Offs

Hi Nictmere......yes, take offs can be tricky and even now I 'come a cropper' every now and then.

For me the most important things to remember are:

Concentrate on using the rudder to hold the aircraft as straight as you can. She will build up flying speed faster and hold the center line of the runway.

If flying a Spitfire, I find that keeping the stick forward tends to accentuate that bounce you mention. However, as the nose drops, keep the stick back (just off neutral?) and she will rise off the runway of her own accord. (there is a point where you can pull the stick back but still keep the aircraft on the ground, while she gains flying speed.)

It may be that keeping the stick forward almost forces the aircraft's weight onto the wheels, setting up a conflict between the accelerating aircraft wanting to lift........ and the stick forcing her down. Hence the bouncing.

I may be wrong but that's my take on it. Have fun practising and remember: we all struggled with this problem at one time or another. See you 'up there!' Salute!

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Dauntless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Nictmere View Post
    I find take offs very difficult, most planes bounce around like a tennis ball and crash. I can reduce the bounce by moving the stick forward, but take offs are still hazardous. Am I doing something wrong?
    How much throttle do you use to start?

Important to not immediately give 100% Power and WEP when you are taking off... better to start off by bringing your power to approximately 70%, then make sure your aircraft is tracking straight, before you roll up the power gently to full.

If you are doing this correctly, your tail will come up naturally and there is absolutely no need to push the stick forward. You want to have all three wheels on the ground until you are tracking straight.

As mentioned, you need to apply rudder to keep the aircraft in a straight line... all these big engines and the props they drive develop torque which will cause the aircraft to veer off course unless you use your rudder.

Are you tracking down the center of the runway? Don't forget the runway is the smoothest portion of the airfield... if you go off it, then you will hit bumpier ground.

Takeoff and landing in 1000+ horsepower aircraft were extremely difficult challenges for a new pilot... and these virtual aircraft are modeled to simulate the real types.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; May-16-2023 at 01:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Another thought to add to the mix. There are some airfields that are just plain bumpy! They are all on the channel map as far as I know, Maidstone for example. The desert fields for me are all about the same though, the only bumps I get there are when I do an uncoordinated takeoff.

I watched your recent video and enjoyed it, thank you for that. As far as takeoffs go, try this, just hold a neutral stick until the tail comes up, you will notice the nose go down slightly at this time, at that point begin to bring the stick back as your speed increases, do it slowly if too fast the plane will attempt to left off prematurely and you will start oscillating up/down as you proceed down the runway. If you do it right the plane will break ground without you even feeling it happen.

Since you are doing this in Single Player you can practice with external views on. If you can look at yourself during the takeoff (very hard to do), do so. If not record the takeoff and look at it after the fact in EXTRAS/TRACKS. In a short time of practice your mussel memory will be established for takeoffs.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul