Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Has anyone come across these books

  1. #1
    Supporting Member IIJG27Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

    Has anyone come across these books


  2. #2
    Team Fusion
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    Yes, I own that book and have read much of it. It is 550 pages of day by day recount of practically every mission flown by either side during the period covered. Who flew what when and where. Who shot what and hit what/whom. Who crashed where and died or survived by walking out from where and meeting up with who. Pilot journals. The works. There is no other source that can touch this series. Christopher Shores' other books also covers all of the other related campaigns throughout the Mediterranean. It is a historical mission builders dream. I can literally recreate the North African campaigns in excruciating detail. And the detail in the book is excruciating as well. The books are reference sources not for light to medium reading. Super dry stuff. But is not really and overview of the campaign itself. This book is a tree where you can peek inside and count the rings, of every tree in the forest.

    If you want to check the books out before you dive in I recommend you get an Everand subscription (nee Scribd). My $12/month subscription gives me "free" online access to the entire series of five volumes. If you have never use Everand/Scribd then I highly recommend you try that first. There are thousands of obscure books available just on WW2. Once I read enough of a book to know I want a hard copy, I order it then. Alternatively the book is $18 on Kindle.

    https://www.everand.com/what-is-everand

    Lenny
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

  3. #3
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    I have the first 3 of the volumes (hopefully the fourth for xmas). Mine though are all on kindle, for the simple reason that the text is too small for me to read nowadays (almot any book now) without a magnifying glass. This kindle makes a lot of the maps/pictures indistinct but other than that they are a very good source of material. I would agree with everythng ATAG_Lenny writes about them (and for the purpose of mission/campaign writing. But if you can get them as a book and have the space buy the books rather than kindle

  4. Likes IIJG27Rich, DerDa, OBT~Polak liked this post
  5. #4
    Supporting Member IIJG27Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lenny View Post
    Yes, I own that book and have read much of it. It is 550 pages of day by day recount of practically every mission flown by either side during the period covered. Who flew what when and where. Who shot what and hit what/whom. Who crashed where and died or survived by walking out from where and meeting up with who. Pilot journals. The works. There is no other source that can touch this series. Christopher Shores' other books also covers all of the other related campaigns throughout the Mediterranean. It is a historical mission builders dream. I can literally recreate the North African campaigns in excruciating detail. And the detail in the book is excruciating as well. The books are reference sources not for light to medium reading. Super dry stuff. But is not really and overview of the campaign itself. This book is a tree where you can peek inside and count the rings, of every tree in the forest.

    If you want to check the books out before you dive in I recommend you get an Everand subscription (nee Scribd). My $12/month subscription gives me "free" online access to the entire series of five volumes. If you have never use Everand/Scribd then I highly recommend you try that first. There are thousands of obscure books available just on WW2. Once I read enough of a book to know I want a hard copy, I order it then. Alternatively the book is $18 on Kindle.

    https://www.everand.com/what-is-everand

    Lenny
    Thanks very much for the info Lenny. They sound great.

  6. Likes OBT~Polak liked this post
  7. #5
    Combat pilot
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.53 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    Thank you for sharing,
    I'm going to try on Everand as Atag Lenny suggested, I would like to one day create a multiplayer campaign in the North African desert!!!
    Do you think there is the same type of book on the Battle of Britain?

  8. Likes ATAG_Marlow, IIJG27Rich liked this post
  9. #6
    Supporting Member IIJG27Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    I would like to get the whole lot of them actually lol. One at a time

  10. Likes OBT~Polak liked this post
  11. #7
    Team Fusion
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    Quote Originally Posted by OBT~Polak View Post
    Thank you for sharing,
    I'm going to try on Everand as Atag Lenny suggested, I would like to one day create a multiplayer campaign in the North African desert!!!
    Do you think there is the same type of book on the Battle of Britain?
    Yep. Check this out. I have bought all volumes of this series as it is only in print form. Extraordinary, and again the basis for a day by day, mission by mission campaign.

    https://wingleader.co.uk/shop/?jsf=w...ts-taxonomy:76

    Also at the same website they publish a series of books on the post Battle of Britain Lean Forward campaigns of 1941 and 1942 here:

    https://wingleader.co.uk/shop/?jsf=w...s-taxonomy:461

    If you want detail on the Bomber Command actions during the Battle of Britain I would highly recommend "The Other Few" by Larry Donnelly. I first saw it on Scribd but its now gone. I expect it will come back at some point.

    Battle of France definitive book to me is "The Battle of France Then and Now" by Peter Cornwell. Much like Christopher Shores books.

    Lastly once Dieppe: Fortress' and Focke-Wulf's is released the Chris Goss Book "Luftwaffe Fighter-Bombers Over Britain: The Tip and Run Campaign 1942-1943" will likely be a great resource.

    Lenny
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

  12. Likes IIJG27Rich, 56RAF_stickz liked this post
  13. #8
    Supporting Member IIJG27Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    "Thus a full coverage of all aspects of aerial operations throughout the whole of the Mediterranean area" I sure hope he means Luftwaffe too.


    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/126218188873....c100903.m5276
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Dec-10-2023 at 11:25.

  14. #9
    Supporting Member IIJG27Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    I guess it's Allied only. Had a look at some pages ..really something

  15. #10
    Team Fusion
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    I guess it's Allied only. Had a look at some pages ..really something
    Nope, it's everyone, everywhere all in one book... well five hefty books. At least insofar as they clearly had the sources. Sometimes this is reduced to Luftwaffe claims and losses but there is something about everyone every day in this series of books.
    Lenny
    Desktop - Alienware R10, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64Gb DDR4-3400Mhz OC 3734Mhz, Dell RTX 3090 24Gb (512.15), Dell 3221QS (4K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C Drive Steam default, Reverb G2, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (3160x3088), TM Warthog Throttle/Stick, TM T-Rudder, TM MFDx2, Razer Tartarus Pro
    Laptop - Dell G7 7590, Intel i7-8750H, 64Gb DDR-2666Mhz, GPU0 Intel UHD 630 1Gb GPU1 Dell RTX 2060 6Gb (512.15), BenQ EX3203R (3K @ 60Hz), Win 11 (22000.567), C drive Steam default, Samsung Odyssey+, WMR SteamVR beta - 100% (1440x1796), TM T16000M, TM TWCS

  16. Likes 56RAF_stickz liked this post
  17. #11
    Student Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.97 MB

    Re: Has anyone come across these books

    !!!!!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •