Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Waterfall

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Operation Waterfall

Announcing a new battle, Operation Waterfall. This is an early ship convoy attack/defend BOB scenario.

1. Battle Objectives:
    Blue mission: Ship convoy in Thames Estuary, attack convoy. Red mission: defend convoy. Score 3,000 points to win, all enemy objects are targets & attract points.

2. Dynamic Ai plane numbers.
    The fewer players in the battle, the more frequently Ai flights will spawn & vice-versa. Ai flights at all altitudes, especially 20,000ft+.

3. Continiously moving vehicles.
    Vehicles move back & forth on their waypoints continually until destroyed. Vehicles are often found around airfields, but could be anywhere ie in towns, along roadways between towns etc.

4. Upgradable airbases.
    All airbases begin the battle with a basic (early BOB) planeset. Planes are 'upgraded' as the battle progresses, so for example, a base with a Bf109E-1 may upgrade to having a Bf109E-3, Spitfire Mk1's may upgrade to Spitfire Mk1a's & so on. Airbase upgrades are announced on the HUD screen as they occur.

5. Random AA units at airfields.
    Airfields have random AA defences generated on battle start. Some airfields may have few AA defences, others may have more defences. Because the AA units are generated at random, airfield defences will be different every time the battle starts up.

6. Dynamic airbase AA defences. Airbase commanders at frequently attacked airfields will regularly call-in additional AA defences. So frequently attacked airfields tend to become more defended over time. Airbase AA additions are announced on the HUD screen as they occur.

7. Custom in-game stats.
    Includes kill counts & airforce personel losses ie. KIA's MIA's, POW's etc.

8. Radars & ground observers.
    Allies have working chain high & chain low radars & ground observers. Axis have Freya radar. Enemy air contacts are called out & plotted as icons on the mini-map showing their altitude. Chain radars are quite accurate, Freya radar will not always call out contacts, this is to simulate the 'uncoordinated' air defence methodology of the Luftwafe.

9. Destroyable airfields.
    Airfields can be 'bombed' out of action. The amount of bombs it takes to destroy an airfield is proportional to the airfield size, so it takes more bombs to destroy a larger airfield than a smaller one. The level of destruction of an airfield is shown in the HUD display when an airfield is bombed. Spawn locations at airfields are lost when the airfield is destroyed & destroyed airfields do not repair themselves.
    Last edited by Salmo; Mar-21-2013 at 08:23.

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Operation Waterfall

So grateful for your work Salmo!

Looking forward to flying this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Brilliant! Looking forward to this in the rotation!
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    So grateful for your work Salmo!

Looking forward to flying this one.
    What Pstyle said, plus when?

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sounds great Salmo, thanks for putting in all that work! I can't wait to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Oh man, I can't wait to fight in this world. Superb work Salmo!

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo View Post
    9. Destroyable airfields.
    Airfields can be 'bombed' out of action. The amount of bombs it takes to destroy an airfield is proportional to the airfield size, so it takes more bombs to destroy a larger airfield than a smaller one. The level of destruction of an airfield is shown in the HUD display when an airfield is bombed. Spawn locations at airfields are lost when the airfield is destroyed & destroyed airfields do not repair themselves.
    Mmmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

There are reports that players couldn't join the battle, and the network wouldn't stream any data either.

1. I've removed most of the weather & left just a few stock clouds.
    2. I've reduced the number of static objects & moving vehicles.

The battle has been resubmitted for testing on ATAG server2. Please report significant issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    424.49 MB

Great! Translated and post it on Sukhoi http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthrea...=1#post1980350

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Is this mission running currently, or any mission? Just went in to check it out, no briefing, no server messages, no mission pullup etc.

There were only 2 111s and 1 09E when I signed on...09 was shot down by bofors 30 min into it...that was the only message for the entire flight. Flew to ramsgate, saw the beaufighters, bombed them, saw I12 radar was up, flew towards london and did not see any ships.

Btw external view is still enabled.

Mission is labled overflow for server one, but nothing going on that I could see.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torric270 View Post
    Is this mission running currently, or any mission? Just went in to check it out, no briefing, no server messages, no mission pullup etc.

There were only 2 111s and 1 09E when I signed on...09 was shot down by bofors 30 min into it...that was the only message for the entire flight. Flew to ramsgate, saw the beaufighters, bombed them, saw I12 radar was up, flew towards london and did not see any ships.

Btw external view is still enabled.

Mission is labled overflow for server one, but nothing going on that I could see.

Thanks!
    Interesting post Torric. Sounds like the server was down?

Firstly, I have no beaufighters in the Operation Waterfall mission. Secondly, there are moving ships in the Thames estuary east of Sheppey Island & in the Channel. The Thames Estuary convoy is quite large, about 15-18 ships iirc, and many are armed so you'd see flak if you were closeby. Thirdly, the target ship convoy can be located using the custom menu feature TAB-4-2-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Yep - a lighter version has been put up because of earlier problems. It's on both servers rotations.

Edit: Had to remove again.. Scripting errors were happening so fast I couldn't read the console.
    Last edited by ATAG_Bliss; Mar-23-2013 at 08:07.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
    Yep - a lighter version has been put up because of earlier problems. It's on both servers rotations.

Edit: Had to remove again.. Scripting errors were happening so fast I couldn't read the console.
    An new battle version (v1.1) has been submitted to ATAG.

Additional features:

1. Ai skill level
    Each pilot in an Ai flight now has randomised skill levels. The 'easy' kill on the right side of the formation last time may turn out to be an Ace next time. Be careful.

2. Fuel level
    Ai flights now take randomised fuel levels. Fuel levels are between 50% and 100%.
    Last edited by Salmo; Mar-25-2013 at 20:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Bad news I'm afraid. It seems that the scripted elements in this battle put too much stress on the game net-code & the battle grinds to a halt with any more than about 30-40 players. The battle will not be in the ATAG mission rotations for this reason.

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Bad news I'm afraid. It seems that the scripted elements in this battle put too much stress on the game net-code & the battle grinds to a halt with any more than about 30-40 players. The battle will not be in the ATAG mission rotations for this reason.
    what a shame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Damn shame mate. Hopefully in the future if TF are able to work on the net code, fingers crossed. Thanks for the efforts Salmo.

- Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Surely not unexpected though, we're testing the boundaries of what is possible with 100 pilots online. Add AI and models to that...who knows. Even some offline missions can grind almost any system to a hault. (heinkill london area)

I recall this would happen in il2 also if we tried to do too much. Cant hurt trying and figuring out what is going on. what works/what doesn't

thanks for the effort

Idea: Personally I think our best bet for new missions is to use slight variations in the tested mission that is the mainstay on the server now. We could move the current objectives up the thames, or west down the coast etc. ) We know it works, just move it around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Salmo im sorry about those news. But can i ask you to try something diffrent? To my knowledge the problem is having too many things going on at same time, what stresses the server. But why not to break the side missions into their own missions, and with the loading of the next mission being dependent of the result of the previous one? That used to be possible in IL2, so i guess its more or less the same with Cliffs of Dover.

Example: Red wins ---> Outcome: Blue cannot fly E4N. Blue wins ---> Outcome: Spit IIA is removed ---> so on.

A penalty on the ride could be incentive to fly to achieve the objectives of the mission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    Salmo im sorry about those news. But can i ask you to try something diffrent? To my knowledge the problem is having too many things going on at same time, what stresses the server. But why not to break the side missions into their own missions, and with the loading of the next mission being dependent of the result of the previous one? That used to be possible in IL2, so i guess its more or less the same with Cliffs of Dover.

Example: Red wins ---> Outcome: Blue cannot fly E4N. Blue wins ---> Outcome: Spit IIA is remove.d ---> so on..

A penalty on the ride could be incentive to fly to achieve the objectives of the mission.

Or institute all the features your trying to use one at a time and see how the server reacts..
    Like making a mission with your supply system... then if all goes well implement the moving front line ...and so on..till you figure out what is possible with the net code...just my 2 cents. S!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndRibbs View Post
    Or institute all the features your trying to use one at a time and see how the server reacts..
    Like making a mission with your supply system... then if all goes well implement the moving front line ...and so on..till you figure out what is possible with the net code...just my 2 cents. S!
    +1

My squadron's mate makes missions too and ask me to present a question here (for he doesn't speak English). How do you make AI fly all time long? His AIs return home after some half an hour and leave the area deserted.
    http://www.311raf.com/images/signature/sigsmall_Cibule.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 310_cibule View Post
    +1

My squadron's mate makes missions too and ask me to present a question here (for he doesn't speak English). How do you make AI fly all time long? His AIs return home after some half an hour and leave the area deserted.
    You can schedule when to start another Ai filght in the OnTickGame script event. Something like this:

Code:
    public override void OnTickGame()
    {
       base.OnTickGame();
       if (Time.tickCounter() % (32 * 60 * 15) == 0)       // every 15 minutes
       {
             GamePlay.gpPostMissionLoad(MissionFileName);  // load MissionFileName into the battle
       }
    }
    Last edited by Salmo; Apr-03-2013 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thx Salmo. Handed over
    http://www.311raf.com/images/signature/sigsmall_Cibule.jpg

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I hope we'll at least see high-flying bombers with contrails in SOME of the missions in the rotation. Would be incredibly cool...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

After much tweaking, I now have a pre-release version 1.3 (prior to submission to ATAG) of Operation Waterfall running on the Nations@War server. It's been radically changed to better conform with ATAG mission requirements & (hopefully) to run more smoothly with large player numbers. Still includes these features:

1. Battle Objectives:
    Blue mission: Ship convoy in Thames Estuary, attack convoy. Red mission: defend convoy. Blue win if they sink 16 ships, red win if they down 100 enemy aircraft.
    2. Upgradable airbases.
    All airbases begin the battle with a basic (early BOB) planeset. Planes are 'upgraded' as the battle progresses, so for example, a base with a Bf109E-1 may upgrade to having a Bf109E-3, Spitfire Mk1's may upgrade to Spitfire Mk1a's & so on. Airbase upgrades are announced on the HUD screen as they occur.
    3. Random AA units at airfields.
    Airfields have random AA defences generated on battle start. Some airfields may have few AA defences, others may have more defences. Because the AA units are generated at random, airfield defences will be different every time the battle starts up.
    4. Dynamic airbase AA defences. Airbase commanders at frequently attacked airfields will regularly call-in additional AA defences. So frequently attacked airfields tend to become more defended over time. Airbase AA additions are announced on the HUD screen as they occur.
    5. Random AI skills
    AI flights have random skill levels, planes within flights have different skill levels. So a flight of say 9 bombers could be a mix of rookies, average, veteran & aces. Pilots & gunners have differing skill levels. Appoximately 30% rookies, 45% average, 20% veterans & 5% aces.

The main aim has been to reduce load time & ingame stutters & freezes. Please report if you have issues.
    Last edited by Salmo; Apr-26-2013 at 01:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Thanks very much salmon! Can't wait to try it out!! S!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Thank-you Salmo,

I'll also give it some testing.

Septic.

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Hey Salmo

I had a (very) quick run on the mission after work. I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time on it tonight to give you some better feedback, hopefully I'll be able to find some more time over the weekend.

Anyway, it ran really well on my machine, smooth and no different to ATAG. I was the only person in mission however, so not sure how useful that info is to you for now.

I spent most of my time hunting a lone Me 108 whom I presume was on recon (got some hits before I blew my Spit I engine )

I got a few of the Airbase upgrade messages so my AI compatriots were doing better than I was lol. Several radar reports of other enemy being tracked from the Channel as they approached the targets as well ...which added to the tension nicely. Reckon I would have had plenty of air targets to choose from had I not blown my engine.

I can see this mission being extremely fun to fly, particularly if the skies are populated with human pilots. Looking forward to giving it a go again when I have more time to really get stuck in .

Cheers mate

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Hi Salmo,

A quick report with version 1.3.

I had to spawn several times because of problems my end. A launcher crash, which I suspect is associated with changing weapons loadouts and then to enable my second GPU as I was struggling a little with fps through the clouds. I noticed my discarded aircraft were still on the apron, engines running at high rpm. I took my third Hurricane from Biggin Hill (just becuase I could, it's great to see different airfields) and climbed out towards the Thames Estuary through thick clouds. There seemed plenty of AI population and the battle seemed to be playing itself out nicely all on its own. Clawing my way up over South Croyden had my now two GPUs working hard but it remained playable and looked great.

I had a steady 350ms ping and there were only four players on. I experienced only one stutter, which was contemporary with a server message and a few seconds later a player joining. I had no further stutters at all.

Having got the old kite up to angels 20 I resisted the temptation to ditch and take a sporty Spit1a 100 oct, which had just been delivered to Rochford and pressed on to patrol over the convoy. Contacts seemed to remain stubbornly at 15 miles so I decided to press on over the Channel. I reached the French Coast and started to attract some attention from AAA. The problem of seeing ground targets through clouds had me working hard to find something to bounce when I had a report of bombers at 5 miles distant. I couldn't figure out how I could have missed them. Then I found one, right on the deck, he was landing so I decided to kill him mercilessly for bombing our supplies of Figgy Duff on the ships. I swooped above him pouring lead into his now bent fusalage when all his mates who had already landed opened up and shot my aircraft full of holes. Justice?

It's great to fly a different mission and this looks brilliant but I can't help but worry how it will fare with eighty-odd players on, if it does it could be brilliant. So I hope as many as possible help with testing.

Thanks Salmo,

Septic.

After much tweaking, I now have a pre-release version 1.3 (prior to submission to ATAG) of Operation Waterfall running on the Nations@War server. It's been radically changed to better conform with ATAG mission requirements & (hopefully) to run more smoothly with large player numbers. Still includes these features:

1. Battle Objectives:
    Blue mission: Ship convoy in Thames Estuary, attack convoy. Red mission: defend convoy. Blue win if they sink 16 ships, red win if they down 100 enemy aircraft.
    2. Upgradable airbases.
    3. Random AA units at airfields.
    4. Dynamic airbase AA defences. Airbase commanders at frequently attacked airfields will regularly call-in additional AA defences. So frequently attacked airfields tend to become more defended over time. Airbase AA additions are announced on the HUD screen as they occur.
    5. Random AI skills
    AI flights have random skill levels, planes within flights have different skill levels. So a flight of say 9 bombers could be a mix of rookies, average, veteran & aces. Pilots & gunners have differing skill levels. Appoximately 30% rookies, 45% average, 20% veterans & 5% aces.

The main aim has been to reduce load time & ingame stutters & freezes. Please report if you have issues.

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

the c7s spawn on a hill, you cant move without crashing.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast