Thread: The Greatest Raid of All

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

The Greatest Raid of All

Get some popcorns and sit comfortably, you need some time to watch this one. If you dont have time, just watch it later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: The Greatest Raid of All

An amazing operation.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

How'd I miss this thread......This documentary spurred me to take trip to St. Nazaire.....I bought 3 or 4 books on this...I knew nothing about it until I saw the documentary....The U-boat pens a re still there....Like big concrete bunkers..the French don't seem to know what to do with them...Nice little memorial there...a U-boat to look around...and bullet holes all over the iron bridge that have been painted over since...More Victoria crosses won here than any battle apart from Rorkes Drift...Amazing story..If you don't know it then..YOU SHOULD!!

The U-Boat Pens

The Durrant Victoria cross Grave

The Bridge

The Bullet Hole

The new gate

The Submarine..I think its a French one
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Apr-07-2014 at 20:03.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

It's kind of a shame that these sort of really heroic episodes of human history are all but forgotten and certainly unknown by today's generations. We get a steady diet of "Superman", "Avengers" and the like but major productions depicting real "pluck" and true history about real people and events are few and far between. Even when it does make it to the big screen u get nonsense like "Red Tails".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

To me it is a well known raid, all tho no Norwegiaan Commando was in this many Norwegians joined the commando and did raid in Norway together with English Commando. It might be why this history is mandatory in Norwegian schools.
    But this particular Documentary I have not seen, very interesting and made good. Thx for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That was a good watch, I never knew about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

wow that was awesome. incredible thanks

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Incredible story thanks Lolsav, and Lewis for the pics. I wasn't familiar with that story. It's hard to comprehend watching and listening to these gents tell their stories actually what they would have gone through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

ALTHOUGH...if we are talking about the "greatest raid of all time" you HAVE to throw in Operation Jubilee / Raid on Dieppe

Top secret for 25 years after the war...reported as a disastrous failure resulted in Freya radar secrets...so dangerous that Nissenthall's body guards were instructed to kill him lest he fall into enemy hands. Nissenthall also carried suicide pills

At the height of the battle, in which total of 3,623 of the 6,086 men (almost 60%) who made it ashore were either killed, wounded, or captured, Nissenthall climbed a 15 foot pole to cut the freya wire to intercept communications on how it operated!!! WHAT!

Im paraphrasing...INSANE.

Really needs a documentary to be made:

World War II: RAF Flight Sgt. Jack Nissenthall's Secret Role in Operation Jubilee at Dieppe
    http://www.historynet.com/world-war-...-at-dieppe.htm

Undercover:Jack Nissenthall - February '98 World War II Feature
    http://www.historynet.com/undercover...ii-feature.htm

Nissenthall removed and pocketed two wire clippers from his haversack, and as he subsequently reported, "I wedged myself between the poles and worked my way to the top." There, 15 feet above the ground, he cut the Freya's six outside communications wires. He quickly rejoined his companions, who apparently had been in no condition to weigh Nissenthall's odds of evading death or capture.
    Last edited by Katdog5; Apr-10-2014 at 10:11.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Finally got around to watching this. Wow. It's hard to even comprehend and put into words the thoughts you have when trying to imagine being on that mission. The sheer insanity of it and courage is something i cant imagine. what a fantastic documentary. Thanks for the share!

Any books you recommend on the raid?
    -=71st_AH_Bowsewr=- OU College of Medicine 2015
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bowsewr
    http://www.twitch.tv/bowsewr

CPU: i5 3570k RAM: 16gb ram Video Card: MIS gtx760. Water Cooling: Corsair H80
    Joystick: Thrustmaster T-16000 Throttle: X-52 Throttle Body Pedals: CH PRO Pedals Tracking: Track IR5 Gamepad Logitech G13

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

This book was ok....only 157 pages...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raid-St-naza.../dp/0345019644

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Keller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Katdog5 View Post
    ALTHOUGH...if we are talking about the "greatest raid of all time" you HAVE to throw in Operation Jubilee / Raid on Dieppe
    Though it was not as successful as had been hoped, this is one operation that Canadians should not be allowed to ignore.

Of the 5000 Canadians that participated in this raid; 1946 were captured, 586 were wounded, and 907 were killed.

Last edited by III./ZG76_Keller; Apr-17-2014 at 20:51.

III./ZG76 2N+ZR
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Intel Core i7 4970 @ 3.6 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, GTX 980 4GB GPU

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I watched that episode a few months back, truly amazing stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Clarksons Video of the Victoria Cross is a well worth watch if you like his intonation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Clarksons Video of the Victoria Cross is a well worth watch
    Indeed it is. Thanks for sharing Lewis. Great twist at the ending.
    Last edited by ATAG_Lolsav; Apr-18-2014 at 11:12.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Semi irrelevant but the submarine that's in the pen right now is the "Espadon", which is French for Swordfish. I've been to St Nazaire more than once and it's a nice place. Half my ancestors were sailors so sometimes I feel romance brewing when I see the ocean.

ROMANCE

E: watched the documentary. i feel bad having never heard of the raid before. it was really daring and actually accomplished something pretty significant strategically speaking. wow wow
    Last edited by Incog; Apr-19-2014 at 15:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Worth mentioning that....the greatest ever loss of life of a single British ship was at St.Nazaire in June 1940....over 4000 lives lost..RMS Lancastria bombed and sunk by Ju88s

I didn't realise this fact until I saw the memorial there in 2008 which I had thought initially was to commemorate the raid.

Wiki..:

RMS Lancastria (later HMT Lancastria) was a British Cunard liner commandeered by the UK Government for war, sunk on 17 June 1940 during World War II sending 4,000 people to their deaths, possibly many more. It is the greatest ever loss of life in the sinking of a single British ship, claiming more lives than the combined losses of the RMS Titanic (1,523 passengers and crew) and RMS Lusitania (1,200 passengers). It had also the highest death toll for UK forces in a single engagement in the whole of World War II.

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Apr-19-2014 at 18:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for posting this Loslav I hadn't heard of this raid. The stoicism these chaps had in the face of fighting a force that size is incredible. I never get tired of reading or watching about the stories from World War 2 some of it very funny ( I remember reading about some British officer dressing up as a chef just before being captured and being told he looked too old to be so by the his captor in North Africa.) some of it incredibly tragic. I do wish more people my age would learn a bit more about them as I think a lot of this history will be lost which will be a tragic shame.