Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Books about WW2 Pilots - Your Recommendations

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Books about WW2 Pilots - Your Recommendations

Hello all,

(I don't know if this topic is in the right forum section. If that's not the case, please move it where it belongs.)

I'm looking for some good books to read this summer. I was thinking about books about WW2 pilots. I'm not looking for any particular theater, just a good, educative, informative and no-nonsense kind of read that's as close to reality as possible. Last book I read was called "Wings of Victory" by V.M. Yeates, t'was about a Sopwith Camel pilot during WW1.

I've been looking through amazon for books about the Flying Tigers, Battle of Britain accounts, the battle of Midway, but I can't make up my mind. Do you guys have special recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Re: Books about WW2 Pilots - Your Recommendations

"Duel of Eagles" by Peter Townsend. Good read! Ever read the Bart Bandy series by Donald Jack? Great books about a WW1 pilot (fiction but funny). Had them years ago, may have to find those again..

Cheers,
    Freya

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

I am currently reading on the Kindle:

The Air Battle for Malta: The Diaries of a Spitfire Pilot

I am enjoying it. I typically read these types of books by the German or American side. This is my first British oriented book...I am really enjoying it.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    "Duel of Eagles" by Peter Townsend. Good read! Ever read the Bart Bandy series by Donald Jack? Great books about a WW1 pilot (fiction but funny). Had them years ago, may have to find those again..

Cheers,
    Freya
    Never read any of these two, 'seems quite interesting though!

Quote Originally Posted by II.JG53-Marmus View Post
    I am currently reading on the Kindle:

The Air Battle for Malta: The Diaries of a Spitfire Pilot

I am enjoying it. I typically read these types of books by the German or American side. This is my first British oriented book...I am really enjoying it.
    I've just bought "The Big Show" by Spitfire/Tempest pilot Pierre Clostermann. Some of my friends spoke quite highly of it, and it seems that it was unanimously praised when the book was printed after the war. I guess I'll have to see by myself what the fuss is all about

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Unbroken
    With wings like eagles Michael Korda
    The most dangerous enemy Stephan bungay
    Flyboys

Spirit of st Louis was awesome too. Lindbergh flew in the pacific ...stories in flyboys I believe

Edit: Aces High: The Heroic Saga of the Two Top-Scoring American Aces of World War II is what I was thinking. great book
    Last edited by Katdog5; Mar-30-2013 at 14:38.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've got a bookcase full of 1st person memoirs, my personal favorites are:

Terror in the Starboard Seat by McIntosh (Mosquito navigator)
    First Light by Wellum (BoB Spit pilot)
    The Wrong Stuff by Smith (B-17 copilot)
    Nanette by Park (P-39 pilot)

These are my "elite"; books that I've actually read more than once.

Enjoy,

AKA Knutsac

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I Flew for the Fuher http://www.amazon.com/Flew-Fuhrer-Gr.../dp/1853672637

the blond knight of Germany (at the bottom of this link are other books you might find interesting) http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Blond-Kn.../dp/0830681892

S!

8. Likes Beats liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by thee_oddball View Post
    I Flew for the Fuher http://www.amazon.com/Flew-Fuhrer-Gr.../dp/1853672637

the blond knight of Germany (at the bottom of this link are other books you might find interesting) http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Blond-Kn.../dp/0830681892

S!
    One of my german friends spoke quite a lot about Erich Hartmann. Quite an extraordinary man if I heard correctly.

But seriously, 352 victories? I just don't understand how he could achieve this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Blond Knight was a good read. Stuka pilot (Hans Rudel) is also worth hunting. Kindle version:

http://www.amazon.ca/Stuka-Pilot-ebook/dp/B0054GLEUA

This could turn out to be a good thread for reads we haven't tried yet. Thx for posting it.
    You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stopped playing.

i7 980 @ 3.33 GHz (12 CPUs), Win 7 64-bit, 12 Gig DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 480 4 Gig, Corsair AX1200 PSU, CH Combatstick, CH Pedals, CH Quadrant, Track IR5. Upgrading to a GTX 680 when the wife blinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

'First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum (BoB Spit pilot)

Completely agree is superb read. Also "Thunderbolt" the autobiography of P-47 pilot Robert S. Johnson and finally a book I have read many times is "Herky: Memoirs of a Checkertail Ace"

Cheers, MP

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

3879432163ba.jpg
    Best Combat aviator ever:
    Erich Hartmann (1922-1993), unbending and unbeaten, 352 victories Eastfront
    f18c9b7a.jpg
    after 10 Years Prisoner of War in Russia (age 33)
    hartmann_dirty-af086.jpg
    Last edited by 6./JG26_Warjunkie; Mar-29-2013 at 22:02.

13. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Particularly recommended for combat flight simulator pilots and mission builders - great diagrams and useful descriptions of "stuff you can use". Fresh discussions and perspective on relative pilot performance....
    "Allied Fighter Aces" Air Combat Tactics and Techniques of World War II. Mike Spick
    "Luftwaffe Fighter Aces" The Jagdflieger and their Combat Tactics and Techniques. Mick Spick
    "Aces of the Reich" The Making of A Luftwaffe Fighter-Pilot. Mike Spick

of course - what Sim pilot list would be complete without the "Bible".
    Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering - Robert L. Shaw

Great historical books - must for mission builders and deep background material and analysis:
    "JG 26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe" Donald Caldwell. Great overview with a strong focus on operations and pilots versus technology. Of all the books I've listed - this is the first one I'd buy....
    "Raiders of the Reich" Air Battle Western Europe 1942-45 Martin W. Bowman and Theo Boiten.
    "Fire in the Sky" The Air War in the South Pacific. Eric M. Bergerud Exeptionally detailed coverage of all aspects of both USAAF, USN and IJN, IJA aircraft, operations, training, manpower, tactics, etc....
    "Sunburst" The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941 Mark R. Peattie. Just finished - more comprehensive even than Fire in the Sky with narrower focus - gives a bit more "why" background and includes more comprehensive research into Japanese documents, interviews. Collaborative work with Japanese scholars.

Must read companion books to "Thunderbolt". Actually I'd recommend reading these two before you read Martin Caiden's "Thunderbolt":

"Wolfpack Warriors" The story of World War II's Most Successfull Fighter Outfit. Roger Freeman.
    Author: Roger has had over sixty books published in the UK and US since 1970, chiefly on miltary aviation, the most successfull being "The Mighty Eighth". Consultant for the Imperial War Museaum and the Smithsonian. As a young British lad, Roger grew up on the family farm in Dedham, Essex. In 1943, Martin B-26 Marauder bombers of the US Eighth Air Forces 386th Bomb Group arrived at Boxted airfield less then two miles away sparking Freemans lifelong fascination with the wartime US Army Air Forces operating from Britain. When his father was granted permission to cut the airfields grass for haymaking, the young Freeman made the most of opportunities to examine the aircraft and befriend personnel on the base later tenants of which included the 354th Fighter Group of the Ninth Air Force; and the Eighth Air Forces 56th Fighter Group which, flying Republic P-47 Thunderbolts, became the highest-scoring USAAF group in the European theatre.

"Called to Command" A World War II Ace's Adventurous Journey. Lt. General Gerald W. Johnson USAF
    Author: Gerry Johnson, 18 victory P-47 ace in the 56th Fighter Squadron. He was one of Robert Johnson's flight leaders.

S!

Gunny
    Intel i7-3930K
    Asus Rampage IV
    EVGA GTX 580 3GB VRAM
    OCZ SSD
    Warthog Throttle + U2NXT Cougar controlled via target

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

we need some Pacific flavor in the thread:

Top IJ ace to survive the war. Getting shot in the head and making it back to Rabaul still freaks me out.

http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Saburo...abaru+sakai%5C
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Salute

Anyone who wants some serious reading, which details Air to Air combat in the Second World War should look at the series of books written by Christopher Shores and his collaborators.

These books work from the original records on both sides, and go from day to day, with all the losses noted and the likely victors.

Anyone who believes their particular favourite side never overclaimed should have a read of these books, they will soon realize the error of their thinking.

Fledgling Eagles: The Complete Account of the Air War Over Western Europe and Scandinavia (this is the Fall of France, Belgium, Holland and Norway)
    Christopher Shores, Chris Ehrengardt

Malta: The Hurricane Years, 1940-41
    by Christopher Shores, Brian Cull, Nicola Malizia

Malta: The Spitfire Year 1942
    Christopher Shores, Brian Cull, Nicola Malizia

Fighters over the desert; the air battles in the Western Desert, June 1940 to December 1942
    by Christopher F. Shores, Hans Ring

Fighters over Tunisia
    Christopher F. Shores, Hans Ring, William N. Hess

Bloody Shambles Volume One: First Comprehensive Account of Air Operations Over South-East Asia, December 1941-April 1942
    Christopher Shores, Brian Cull, Yasuho Isawa

Bloody Shambles Volume Two: The Complete Account of the Air War in the Far East, from the Defence of Sumatra to the Fall of Burma, 1942
    Christopher Shores, Yashuo Izawa, Brian Cull

I could go on, he has written many more, anything by Christopher Shores is accurate, detailed and eye opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Haven't read this yet but it's on my list.

A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II
    You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stopped playing.

i7 980 @ 3.33 GHz (12 CPUs), Win 7 64-bit, 12 Gig DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 480 4 Gig, Corsair AX1200 PSU, CH Combatstick, CH Pedals, CH Quadrant, Track IR5. Upgrading to a GTX 680 when the wife blinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Rocket Fighter - Mano Ziegler Book about live as a Comet pilot from written by pilot that had the most flight hours in that bird
    Wolfgang Späte - Top Secret Bird: The Luftwaffe's Me-163 Comet - Written by the commander of the Me-163 testing unit who was also a fighter ace with 99 confirmed kills.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Owl View Post
    One of my german friends spoke quite a lot about Erich Hartmann. Quite an extraordinary man if I heard correctly.

But seriously, 352 victories? I just don't understand how he could achieve this...
    alot of it was on the eastern front early in the war, obsolete aircraft and poorly trained pilots, it was a turkey shoot for the LW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    'First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum (BoB Spit pilot)

Completely agree is superb read. Also "Thunderbolt" the autobiography of P-47 pilot Robert S. Johnson and finally a book I have read many times is "Herky: Memoirs of a Checkertail Ace"

Cheers, MP
    Grabbed a Kindle version of "First Light" Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Old_Canuck; Apr-10-2013 at 09:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

"Nine Lives" by Alan C. Deere. A New Zealander who first flew Spits in combat over Dunkirk and downed two 109's before he himself was shot down and had to make his own way back in the evacuation. He experienced numerous crashes in his Spit(s) while fighting in the BoB, including getting blown up on takeoff during a raid, plus another time when he incredibly survived a head on collision with a 109 as they were firing at each other! In another instance his chute failed to fully deploy -- you won't believe how he survived that one!!

A good read.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

22. Likes Biggs, IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

My books include quite a few, all of them WW2 and covers both Allied and Axis pilot memoirs. I find the night fighter books most interesting and really a shame that Schnaufer never wrote memoirs before his untimely death in 1950's. Also got ground war books of which Hans Roth's book was most gruesome of them all. Based on his diaries he kept on almost daily basis from beginning of Barbarossa to his KIA/MIA in Operation Bagration 1944. The last diary was never found so one year is missing, but tells quite another story of Eastern Front, of it's brutality on both sides and the life in those harsh conditions.

One book I like to find is Otto Carius's Tigers in the snow. One of the best German tank aces starting from PzII and ending his career in a JagdTiger, survived WW2 and founded a pharmacy after war called Tiger Aphoteke etc. Soon getting a book of Normandy from a German soldier's view. Reading is fun
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by thee_oddball View Post
    alot of it was on the eastern front early in the war, obsolete aircraft and poorly trained pilots, it was a turkey shoot for the LW.
    True regarding the Luftwaffe but wrong regarding Hartmann. He only started in 1943. When you see how many more missions he flew than the typical Western aces it becomes apparent how he could rack up so many kills. Also, the sorties were much shorter and the pickings much more plentiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The best book i have read is "The War Diary of Hauptmann Helmut Lipfert: JG 52 on the Russian Front 1943-45" seems that
    not many people here have read it or even heard of it. Top book i highly recommend it

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 5./JG27Meyer View Post
    The best book i have read is "The War Diary of Hauptmann Helmut Lipfert: JG 52 on the Russian Front 1943-45" seems that
    not many people here have read it or even heard of it. Top book i highly recommend it
    Yeah, this is one of the better books from the Luftwaffe perspective, and probably the best that's focused on the eastern front (that's yet been translated to English). I did however find the style kind of dry and unemotional.

~S~

AKA Knutsac

Dutch

It always surprises me that none of you Canadian chaps ever mentions Johnny Kent in these threads, so.......

'One of the Few' - Johnny Kent, with a foreword by Air Vice-Marshall Sir Keith Park.

John Kent grew up in Winnipeg, Joined the RAF in 1935, became a test pilot at Farnborough, then commanded both 303 (Polish) and later 92 East India squadrons. He retired from the RAF in 1956 having flown pretty much every kind of service aircraft from Bristol Bulldogs to Hawker Hunters and a great deal of multi-engined stuff in his test pilot days. Excellent read covering his whole life and career up to 1956. He died in 1985 at the age of 71.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Johnny Kent, eh? Thanks, mate! I've got the soft cover ($16.98) edition in my Amazon.ca shopping cart.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
    It always surprises me that none of you Canadian chaps ever mentions Johnny Kent in these threads, so.......

'One of the Few' - Johnny Kent, with a foreword by Air Vice-Marshall Sir Keith Park.

John Kent grew up in Winnipeg, Joined the RAF in 1935, became a test pilot at Farnborough, then commanded both 303 (Polish) and later 92 East India squadrons. He retired from the RAF in 1956 having flown pretty much every kind of service aircraft from Bristol Bulldogs to Hawker Hunters and a great deal of multi-engined stuff in his test pilot days. Excellent read covering his whole life and career up to 1956. He died in 1985 at the age of 71.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

First time I heard of John Kent was in the "Bloody Foreigners: The Untold Story of the Battle of Britain" documentary about the 303 polish squadron. They made him look like some kind of lost puppy.

Glad to hear that it wasn't the case!

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Owl View Post
    First time I heard of John Kent was in the "Bloody Foreigners: The Untold Story of the Battle of Britain" documentary about the 303 polish squadron. They made him look like some kind of lost puppy.

Glad to hear that it wasn't the case!
    Huh. Geoff Wellum, who flew for 92 sqn, describes him as 'a tough Canadian, just what the squadron needed', when morale and discipline was at a very low ebb. You couldn't describe a hard nosed ex-test pilot commanding the notorious 303 as anything but a bloody hero.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

""Fire in the Sky" The Air War in the South Pacific. Eric M. Bergerud Exeptionally detailed coverage of all aspects of both USAAF, USN and IJN, IJA aircraft, operations, training, manpower, tactics, etc...."

Got to agree, amazing book.

On the pacific, recommend the seminal "First Team, Pacific Air combat from Pearl Harbour to Midway" and the follow-up " The Fisrt Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign" both by John B Lundstrom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wow this is an awesome thread to keep coming back to for references. Snapper, does this warrant a sticky or is there another way to keep this thread available?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

I agree, stickying this topic might be interesting if enough people find it useful.

I was also wondering, while we're at it, do you have any recommendations regarding modern-era fighter pilots? (Vietnam, Gulf War, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast