Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Books about WW2 Pilots - Your Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Smile Re: Books about WW2 Pilots - Your Recommendations

One of the best books I have ever read was "First Light" by Geffory Wellum. This has been the only book I have read which truly let me imagine what the pressure must have been like to sit in the cockpit of an aircraft, take off into a downpour when no-one would volunteer as it was expected of a higher rank, and not know if he would make it back. The weather deteriorated, the cloud cover increased, the fuel ebbed away and still he had no idea if he would make it back. Just brilliant writing.

Although not about a single person, a book I am currently reading as it fits nicely in with the next TFS update is this book.
    20190802_082324.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desert-Air-.../dp/1844158179
    Packed full of unique images and detail it's a great read especially for any campaign makers or mission builders

Cheers, Mysticpuma
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Books about WW2 Pilots - Your Recommendations

have to agree MP, First Light is a wonderful book - I found it very atmospheric

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Ive not read First Light (its on my list) but Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey which i have read and highly highly recoomend sounds very similar.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    One of the best books I have ever read was "First Light" by Geffory Wellum. This has been the only book I have read which truly let me imagine what the pressure must have been like to sit in the cockpit of an aircraft, take off into a downpour when no-one would volunteer as it was expected of a higher rank, and not know if he would make it back. The weather deteriorated, the cloud cover increased, the fuel ebbed away and still he had no idea if he would make it back. Just brilliant writing.

Although not about a single person, a book I am currently reading as it fits nicely in with the next TFS update is this book.
    20190802_082324.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desert-Air-.../dp/1844158179
    Packed full of unique images and detail it's a great read especially for any campaign makers or mission builders

Cheers, Mysticpuma
    Mystic is bang on the money!!!! This is........ THE BOOK OF BOOKS!!!!!

Ezzie you have just got to read 'First Light' by my mate, Geoffrey Wellum! You will NOT regret it!

I have read Paul Richey's 'Fighter Pilot,' too....another very good book......but for my money 'First Light' is in a class of its own! Salute!
    Last edited by ATAG_Marlow; Aug-02-2019 at 13:40.

5. Likes Little Bill, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

And for those who do't like reading, there is also a movie made of the book "First Light"I first watched the movie and after that I purchased the book.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Mystic is bang on the money!!!! This is........ THE BOOK OF BOOKS!!!!!

Ezzie you have just got to read 'First Light' by my mate, Geoffrey Wellum! You will NOT regret it!

I have read Paul Richey's 'Fighter Pilot,' too....another very good book......but for my money 'First Light' is in a clas of its own! Salute!
    Marlows's bang on about 'First Light' , by far the best book on the Spitfire and The Battle of Britain . I've read a few others but else nothing comes close .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

8. Likes Stormrider, ATAG_Scones, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knight View Post
    Marlows's bang on about 'First Light' , by far the best book on the Spitfire and The Battle of Britain . I've read a few others but else nothing comes close .
    Knighty is 'bang on' about me and MP being 'bang on' about First Light!' If anybody in our community hasn't read it yet....I am so jealous....... because they have such a treat in store! Salute!

10. Likes farley, ATAG_Scones, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Just watched this again https://tubitv.com/movies/177797/first_light thanks for the reminder, well worth it.
    All your contrail are belong to us...unless your in a IIa, then not so much

12. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Knighty is 'bang on' about me and MP being 'bang on' about First Light!' If anybody in our community hasn't read it yet....I am so jealous....... because they have such a treat in store! Salute!
    Be jealous, Marlow, for I have the book 'First Light' to hand and am about to be taken into battle with the great man, Geoffrey Wellum!

14. Likes farley, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Scones View Post
    Be jealous, Marlow, for I have the book 'First Light' to hand and am about to be taken into battle with the great man, Geoffrey Wellum!

Ah! Good for you, Sconesy!

Have a great read and report back how you get on. I love the chapter where 'Boy' Wellum takes off into a 300 foot cloud ceiling chasing an illusive radar plot and within seconds is flying on instruments for hours in nil viz! Stunning writing, as MP says.

I have my precious hardback copy of 'First Light,' signed by the great man himself, in pride of place on my 'aviation' bookshelf! I bet everybody in the Community has one of those! Salute!

16. Likes farley, Kayo, ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Ah! Good for you, Sconesy!

Have a great read and report back how you get on. I love the chapter where 'Boy' Wellum takes off into a 300 foot cloud ceiling chasing an illusive radar plot and within seconds is flying on instruments for hours in nil viz! Stunning writing, as MP says.

I have my precious hardback copy of 'First Light,' signed by the great man himself, in pride of place on my 'aviation' bookshelf! I bet everybody in the Community has one of those! Salute!
    Yeah, I have Ulrich Steinhilpers second part of his time as POW in Canada signed by him at the Hahnweide 1995 in my aviation bookshelf.
    All 3 books with the first part about his early life and his time in the Luftwaffe until he gets shot down in the Battle of Britain (Spitfire on My Tail / Die gelbe 2) and the 2nd and 3rd (Ten Minutes to Buffalo and Full Circle) about life as POW and all his efforts to escape are excellent reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

I read 'First Light' at the beginning of this year (got it as a Christmas present' and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now reading 'Kamikaze Hunter's' I couldn't help but compare the experiences of the fleet air arm boys during their training with those of Geoffrey Wellum in the Royal Air force. The methods used by both services were basically the same, albeit the Fleet Air arm boys were trained at least partly, and in some cases entirely overseas

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

19. Likes ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    Yeah, I have Ulrich Steinhilpers second part of his time as POW in Canada signed by him at the Hahnweide 1995 in my aviation bookshelf.
    All 3 books with the first part about his early life and his time in the Luftwaffe until he gets shot down in the Battle of Britain (Spitfire on My Tail / Die gelbe 2) and the 2nd and 3rd (Ten Minutes to Buffalo and Full Circle) about life as POW and all his efforts to escape are excellent reading.
    Thanks for this tip, Kayo. I think Ulrich Steinhilper may have escaped my attention up to now......but it's on the list now! Cheers! Salute!

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

This looks like a good book for the Beaufighter 'buffs'. Me included!

Recently published by Grub Street (August), the author is Air Cdre (Retd) Graham Pitchfork. £20 UKP (hardback), £12.99 UKP (paperback).

IMG_0254.jpg

One of the stories in the book reveals the story of Wing Comander Max 'Maurice' Guedj the first Frenchman to win both the DSO and DFC. He completed 150 ops before being killed in January 1945.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

22. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Snapper, 69th_Zeb, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.91 MB

Hello Chaps,
    Back from two weeks wonderfully relaxing holiday where I read the fantastic titles:
    Scramble by Tom Neill
    First Light by Geoffrey Wellum "Boy"
    and i'm currently reading "Spitfire pilot" by David Crook.
    they're all rather great reads.

being over yorkshire way I was interested in one of my all time favourite planes the Halifax, there was a book in a local pub i've managed to source and thats
    In Brave Company the story of 158 sqn RAF by W.R. Chorley, i also managed to pick up "to see the breaking dawn" a signed copy by chorley which is about 76 Sqn.

I do love the personal account stuff a little better, Tom's feelings about the hurricane are something that really stand out in that book as well as the horrible loss of friends which they all seemed to suffer rather terribly.
    Are there any recommendations of personal accounts people could make?
    thanks
    Pete
    Some Useful aviation terms:
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.
    Firewall: Section of the aircraft specially designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
    Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
    Overshoot: To run out of ammo on your first pass.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 16Gigs DDR4 2666mhz | Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super 8gb | Win 10 Pro x64 |WD m.2 500gb
    Trackhat clip with PS3 eye| VKB Gladiator Mk.II | TWCS Throttle and rudder pedals | 2 x Logitech Throttle Quadrants.

24. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Stormrider, farley liked this post
    Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

There is an interesting story by the first American to shoot down a ME-109 in 1937. The book is "Some Still Live" by Frank Glasgow Tinker (nom de guerre: Francisco Gomez Trejo). The book printed by Funk & Wagnalls in 1938 (ISBN 0-8094-9633-X). It is rare and hard to find. I found an unblemished copy in an antique book store for $80 in 2004.

However you can read about this Polikarpov I-16 pilot from Arkansas on this web site:
    http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/Frank_Tinker.html

2019-08-28_10-36-53.png

A very interesting story on the American mercenaries that flew for the Spanish Republic. Sadly his story is not well known and a cinema effort never launched.

Who do you think could play Tinker in a movie?
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

26. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DOWNEAST View Post
    There is an interesting story by the first American to shoot down a ME-109 in 1937. The book is "Some Still Live" by Frank Glasgow Tinker (nom de guerre: Francisco Gomez Trejo). The book printed by Funk & Wagnalls in 1938 (ISBN 0-8094-9633-X). It is rare and hard to find. I found an unblemished copy in an antique book store for $80 in 2004.

However you can read about this Polikarpov I-16 pilot from Arkansas on this web site:
    http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/Frank_Tinker.html

2019-08-28_10-36-53.png

A very interesting story on the American mercenaries that flew for the Spanish Republic. Sadly his story is not well known and a cinema effort never launched.

Who do you think could play Tinker in a movie?
    Great story.

Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

I have learned that there are reprints of "Some Still Live" available as e-book and paperback on Amazon. Also available hardback at varying prices.

SSL.png

https://www.amazon.com/Some-Still-Li...ustomerReviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Great story.
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Good for eastern front is Black Cross Red Star series.

I now have number 4 - https://vaktelforlag.se/produkt/blac...ban-1942-1943/

30. Likes 9./JG52 Hackl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post

best books for the east front so far. I own number 3 and number 4 and wait for number 2 and number one!
    Intel I7 5820K | Nvidia GTX 1070 8 GB | 32 GB RAM | Win 10 Professional 64 Bit

Track IR 5 | Saitek X52

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    60.51 MB

"Skalski: Against All Odds" - Franciszek Grabowski
    250_16097609595a96cd461e9b4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    87.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post

I have one on the way.
    I also already have vols 1,2,and 3 but understand these will be heavily revised with new material and republished soon. so I may be on to reorder these again.
    Vol 5 also due release in 2020. Looking fwd to it as well
    i5-4670K;ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO;Samsung 840Pro SSD 512GB;Corsair Vengeance 16GB;EVGA GTX1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB;Noctua NH-U14S;Sharp 43" Monitor;WIN 7 64Bit;TIR-5;VKBGladiatorProMkII
    MFG Crosswinds;CH-ProThrottle/Franken-Potato;EVGA 1000W P2 PSU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Just finished 44 days - covers 75 Sqn RAAF in Port Moresby in early 1942.

https://www.hachette.com.au/michael-...-for-australia

35. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Havent read this book but might be of interest to some, noting its fiction and a cartoon book?

https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval...rpt-stringbags

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Got a few new ones. About night fighter pilots, Wolfgang Thimmig - The night prowler(free translation). Flew thru WW2 as night fighter and survived. Interesting tidbit him flying Ju-88G-6. Considered it superb over Mosquito. It had 2 x Jumo engines.

Of course the Black cross / Red star series, having now a few of them, including new revision of Vol. 1. A must for anyone wanting a thorough picture of air war in the Eastern front.

Memoirs of Finnish top aces like Ilmari "Illu" Juutilainen and Eino Luukkanen. More coming of them.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It was interesting to learn the different motivations for these guys to go overseas against their country's wishes.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678