Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another launcher/crash problem

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Another launcher/crash problem

Very frustrated fella's. I get as far as spawning and then within a few seconds or miutes I get a freeze up and I have to use task mgr to get out.

I have tried all the usual culprits like the win update file KB2670838 (not there), have rerun the direct x, DotNet fx 40 client, and VC redist from the redist folder. Have reloaded the game from disc. Dumped the 1Csoft folder, etc ...etc..

This is a brand new rig
    Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo
    i7 Ivy Bridge 3770k
    16g ram
    SSD boot drive with Steam on it
    evga gtx 670FTW
    Win7 64

This the event log when it stops.
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 4/3/2013 5:23:07 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Owner-PC
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Launcher.exe_Launcher, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d6e3d08
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b83c8a
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
    Faulting process id: 0x944
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce30c1f6d13709
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\Launcher.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 7058cee0-9cb5-11e2-9509-94de8060f964
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-04-03T23:23:07.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>14326</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>Launcher.exe_Launcher</Data>
    <Data>1.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>4d6e3d08</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.18015</Data>
    <Data>50b83c8a</Data>
    <Data>e0434352</Data>
    <Data>0000c41f</Data>
    <Data>944</Data>
    <Data>01ce30c1f6d13709</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\Launcher.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>7058cee0-9cb5-11e2-9509-94de8060f964</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I've run out of things to try. Seriously bumming out.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Z

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Re: Another laucher/crash problem

constant crash or random? I still have the random crash.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It's constant now as soon as I spawn it will go about 2-3 seconds and then freeze. It's got to be something interfering cause it ran before albeit with intermitent crashes, but still could fly. Maybe someone could have a look remotely and see if I'm missing something? It's not virus protection and not printer software like yesterday's (Sgt.Fresh) because I haven't loaded any printer. PM me if you think you might can fix this rig.
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler; Apr-03-2013 at 19:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Can u tell us what wattage is the power supply is in your rig ? Has this been happening since u got ur new rig or was it working fine for a while ? Is your Win7 updated to Service Pack 1 ? When u say u have reloaded from the disc I'm gonna assume that means that steam has updated to the last release. Have u done a "verify integrity of game cache" ? Are u installing the TF patch ? Have u tried a clean install of the latest nVidia driver ? Do u play any other games and are they working fine ?
    Can u see the fans on your video card spinning ? Just trying to eliminate the obvious b4 exploring the cumbersome.

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Is your case clear of obstructions and are all the fans working? (is there an overheat going on)....

I don't mean to be a dousche-bag Zodiac, but this happened to me when my new Rig arrived. I kept getting crashes to desktop and even entire PC shut-downs when running games. I was curious to see if the fans were spinning. Lo! and Behold! - When I opened the PC case I found the entire machine was still filled with the packing wrap from the builders! All of the fans were being held up.

In addition to the above, once I had removed the packing wrap, i found one of the fans still was not working. I checked the power cables, and it had been plugged into the Mobo incorrectly and the motor for the fan had shorted out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the responses guy. This is what I love about the CLod community. Nope Phil the fan and GPU are working really well. I have a Corsair 600T case and it has the window on on side so you can see the motor under the hood.

Torian, yes I have verified integrity by Steam and I didn't want to apply the 3.0 patch until I had a good running original copy. I have the disk and downloaded from that with the Steam update off and sync cloud off also. I do have service pack 1.

This has been a real head beater but I think that I am close now. Last night sitting here in frustration because my graphics look so beautiful but I only see them for a few seconds, I decided that it was not hardware related but a conflict of some kind and I would delete every update and or program until I found the culprit.
    Before I could embark on this insanity I was in the Steam>Clod folder and I right clicked on the launcher. I selected properties and saw a compatability tab. Hmmmmmmmm< this is odd, it is set to Win XP service pack 2? That doesn't seem right, so I set it to win 7 and bingo instantly better. I still got a crash but I flew for a good 15-20 min before it happened. I then checked my laptop which has no such issues but has no such graphics either and it was set to XP service pack 3. I'll try that this morning and report back. I think I'm onto something though. Can someone with a good working copy check their launcher compatability setting and let me know what it should be on?
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler; Apr-04-2013 at 07:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Mine doesn't have a tick in the box. Strange that yours does. What version of Win7 do u have ...Home Premium? Professional ?

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

^ Yes. Check "Disable desktop composition" and "Run as admin" that may help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Torian,

I'm running WIN 7 Ult 64. The box wasn't ticked on mine either but I could see XP service pack 2 on the drop down menu below the tic box. If you tic that box,(run this program in compatability mode for) the drop down compatability menu becomes active and you can make a choice. It's seems like (I think) XP service pack 3 is the default setting? I'd like to get a confirmation on that from someone with a stable running clod to be sure because Win 7 is also an option. I don't know how mine got onto XP service pack 2 unless that at one time the default setting on the game disc which I reloaded from?

Crazy how that can cause such problems!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Vranac, Ok I have done that also. It seems to be running mucho better now but I haven't flown for more than about 10 min. Time will tell but as the famous pederist R. Kelly sang, "I believe I can fly" now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

If this fix works, it should be added to the list of "try this" things....

In fact, maybe I should make such a list??????

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hold off on this fix for a bit as I spoke a bit soon. It flys but I'm still getting a freeze up after 5 or 10 minutes. I'll keep posting as I go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Hold off on this fix for a bit as I spoke a bit soon. It flys but I'm still getting a freeze up after 5 or 10 minutes. I'll keep posting as I go.
    sounds to me like one of two things;

1. An overheat somewhere
    Maybe download a temp-monitoring programme to check on this?

2. A memory problem - probably with the GPU.
    Have you adopted my settings in the NVidia control panel : -> http://thevirtualflyer.blogspot.co.u...-settings.html
    Also, run the game on the 1920x1080 or lower resolution, preferably the same resolution as your desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It seems to be a timing issue of some sort? I spawn or start a single player mission and it's flying well for about 3-4 min then freezes. Something it doesn't like. I have Acronis true image that is a back up app. Anyone ever hear of that causing a problem?

I am using your settings on the 670 Phil. I notice at the bottom (adjust video image settings) mine is set on application controlled versus nvidia control but not sure that's an issue.

Hmmm, now I went back and tic'd the VSYNC and SSAO options and it completed a single mission, flew past the "freeze frame time" and no freeze up! Doesn't seem possible but let's see how it goes from here. Causiously optimistic which means Fingers crossed!!! Better back up these settings before i shut it off!
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler; Apr-04-2013 at 13:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

UPDATE: WE seem to have a stable copy now after much ado. Last night I flew for 35 min with no crashes and this morning another couple of My server missions with no problems other than the volume of the sound switching a bit. I thought it was about to crash but it was just a little volume hitch that muted slightly and then came back after a couple minutes.

I would still like to have someone check their launcher compatability tab (Go to launcher exe in Steam>right click>properties> compatability and tell me what your setting says. Although I have win7 64, the drop down tab (when tic'd) says XP service pack 3. I think that is the default but need someone to confirm. Thanks in advance and for your help in getting me back in the skys of the channel.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    UPDATE: WE seem to have a stable copy now after much ado. Last night I flew for 35 min with no crashes and this morning another couple of My server missions with no problems other than the volume of the sound switching a bit. I thought it was about to crash but it was just a little volume hitch that muted slightly and then came back after a couple minutes.

I would still like to have someone check their launcher compatability tab (Go to launcher exe in Steam>right click>properties> compatability and tell me what your setting says. Although I have win7 64, the drop down tab (when tic'd) says XP service pack 3. I think that is the default but need someone to confirm. Thanks in advance and for your help in getting me back in the skys of the channel.
    yes if its tickd its winxpsp3. if its unticked it should be faded.
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    " He who never changes his mind, never changes anything,"
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    116.55 MB

Re: Another launcher/crash problem

The same here...
    Uninstall,deleting 1CSoft in documents, deleting in steam commons aps folder il2,reloading steam version, installing, running it vanilla once, applying 3.0, run it, no fix for single player patch,no sweet fx this time.
    Rest is in the ATAG server log...name is nynek
    For some reason Win wants to install steam as XP APPS. Check properties of steam.exe and make sure there is nothing check in compatibility, just administrator rights.
    And apply swastika stuff if U like it.
    So far so good in my case.
    Last edited by nynek; Apr-12-2013 at 03:59.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    196.73 MB

Hi all,

my first time posting so be gentle. I've got a similar problem. until a few weeks ago all was working fine. since the 3.0 patch great graphics, smooth, no crashes, all my setting seemed just fine then one day CLoD just started crashing after a few minutes flight. I tried dropping my settings or simply resorting to free flight but no, after a few minutes CLoD crashes. I've already tried the usual from the "master list of remedies" including checking the compatibility thing mentioned previously in this thread but i'm still getting crashes. I've looked for the windows update to delete from the update list but I don't have it. I stumped, any more windows updates that could cause it as I'm sure the answer lies there somewhere?. I have windows 7 64bit home edition I think. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Hi Keeno, 99% of people are here to help, not to berate you. This is, fortunately, not one of those places where the ter,m "Noob" get's used

Thanks for trying out the fixes on the master list. It's great to see people making use of the "tried and tested" before bringing their issues forward.

This seems to me to be the critical bit; since the 3.0 patch great graphics, smooth, no crashes, all my setting seemed just fine then one day CLoD just started crashing after a few minutes flight

I know it can be nigh on impossible to think, but do you recall any significant system changes in the past weeks since the crashes started? More windows updates? A DirectX update? installing other games? Instaling new hardware or software?

If you can eliminate those questions, it might pay to download some temperature checking software just to see if the CPU, or GPU is overheating. While we;re on that issue, can you post your PC specs?

We might have to try and work through step-by-step...

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    196.73 MB

Thanks for the re-assuring comments 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P). I've played il2 then Clod, RoF and FSX for as long as they've been out but when you read some of the hostility to some simple questions on different forums is always put me off asking them and trying to figure stuff out on my own, so cheers for that. Yes there has been several windows updates over the last few weeks, also I've tried the joy to key program to have a smooth zoom feature too, that's when I noticed the problems. I've since stopped using joy to zoom but I haven't got or can't find the specific windows update from the threads that appears to be causing so many problems. oh, also I installed the sweet fx program, that was going to be my next port of call. i'll try that next. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the more info.

Without patronizing you, do you know where to look for the Win updates?

Sweetfx shouldn't be a problem, unless you're also running some video recording software in the background. Can't hurt to disable the sweetfx (remove d3g9.dll) and see if the cvrashes persist though.

I've never used joy-control. Not sure what effect it might have...

If you get really stuck, as around on the ATAG or ACG teamspeak channels, there are plenty of people who will help. Getting more people online is what this game needs desperately right now!

You're also welcome to jump ont he 92 sqn. coms too, if you need help, but there's probably less chance of people being there than the two above;
    TS3: 203.46.105.37:20060
    pw: 2winston

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    196.73 MB

Thanks again 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P. Yes I know where to look for the Windows updates purely by following previous advice in various threads. I'm going to try the master list advice again to see if I've missed anything with SweetFX disabled and see how that goes. I guess I'll have another look for the problematic windows update which is causing problems with others. I've actually flown on the ATAG server before but couldn't seem to find any action, this was pre TF patch. I've been toying with the idea of teamspeak so I may well take you up on and really get into the battle! Cheers.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

After the 3.01 update my Launcher crash each time after 15 minutes..

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

GOZR,

Do a file integrity check through steam, reinstall 3.0 then 3.01

Same thing was happening to me and I guess there were some corrupt files in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hate to say it but you just never know what "exactly" causes the crashing.

When it crashes does it freeze and then you have to use task manager to get out?

That's what mine was doing when I had the problem. In my case, I was also getting a BSOD once in a while too.

I took the overclock out of my processor and went back to the stock settings with turbo boost and hyper threading enabled, which had been disabled when the CPU was overclocked. Since this change back to 3.5ghz from 4.5ghz, I have not had a single crash or BSOD. With the turbo boost and hyperthreading enabled again, I honestly do not see any difference in performance either. Maybe if I benchmarked it might be a few points less but you'd never know it and I prefer the stability to any small gain particularly when CLoD is much more GPU dependent (than CPU) anyways. Just my .02.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Furious I'll try that.. And yes freeze and need task manager to get out. all enable turbo threading etc.. everything was good til the mini update 3.01

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi GOZR, please keep us posted on how things turn out. I'm making this thread "sticky" because there's so much good info being disseminated here. I'm one of the lucky ones that has had (touch wood) no probs so far, but everyone's hardware, software/utilities, and PC settings vary so much that Clod has proven to be really finicky. Chances are your findings and the suggestions you've been getting will help someone else down the line.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Smile Re: Another launcher/crash problem

.. I re-installed the Mod and the mini patch after after the check integrity gave me 4 failed files which I presume was the mod and 3.01... but again it crashed after 3 minutes...
    I tested with my SweetFX OFF then all run ok it did not crash. So the problem was SweetFX but I cannot fly with out my SweetFX settings the original colors from ClOD are just horrendous .. I check around and read that there is an Windows update that make the problem with SweetFX the update"KB2670838", I uninstalled this update and finally now CLOD run great .... so far with SweetFX.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by GOZR_2; Apr-29-2013 at 22:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Excellent. I was going to mention SweetFX. I believe it's on Phil's master list as is that Win update. I used SWFX with the Configurator. Makes it a once click proposition to use or not use it. Initially, I was unable to use it also. But after I got it5 running well, I added it in again and it's been fine ever since.

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

TeamSpeak was doing this to me after a graphics upgrade. Remove and Reinstall TeamSpeak fixed it for me... good luck!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast