Thread: Dealing with CloD Crashes - Master list

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Dealing with CloD Crashes - Master list

Dear all, please find a master-list of all suggested fixes and tips for reducing Cliffs of Dover crashes since the TF patch. Most of this information is from the ATAG forums. I will add to this list as I find more threads containing fixes to past problems.

Try running Launcher with CloDer.exe
    Launcher.exe fails to run on start or crashes on splash screen? One of the windows updates caused a "write process memory" error with the maddox.dll. Download this program, place it in your Cliffs of Dover directory and run CloD using the CloDer.exe it should force your game to run.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ile&fileid=207

Disable Windows7 Update KB2670838
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=3528

Check the Launcher Compatibility in Steam
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...1788#post41788

Disable any sweetfx or injectfx you have running
    Remove dxg9.dll from your game folder

NVidia users, try playing with your NVidia driver settings:
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=3135
    http://thevirtualflyer.blogspot.co.u...-settings.html

Try disabling any Printers you might have installed
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...?t=3977&page=2

Update your Graphics Drivers, and try lowering your in-game Graphics settings
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=4037

Disable your Anti-Virus
    Find the anti-virus in your task bar or windows task list and disable it. It will restore when you re-boot.

Run the Launcher in "administrator" mode
    Place a shortcut to the launcher (from your game folder) on your desktop. When you want to run CloD, right-click the shortcut and select "run as administrator"

(Edited by Naked Squirrel)
    Last edited by ATAG_NakedSquirrel; Oct-21-2015 at 20:39. Reason: Removed bad links

2. Likes TAPATOP, ATAG_Septic, ATAG_Lewis, tt54, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Dealing with CloD Crashes - Master list

please sticky if that would help.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I like it Phil. This saves allot of searching multiple sites to find these fixes.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Another great post, thanks P!

Worth a sticky.

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    please sticky if that would help.
    Done! Thanks for this, Phil.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey guys... I just refreshed my computer and need to reinstall the team fusion patch. Before I do that, however, I need to get the game to run on windows 8 again. I do not remember how I did this last time, can anyone help me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

hey broseph, check your PM. I've sent you some help with that (basically, this tutorial video http://youtu.be/xewfAma7GJA).

Quote Originally Posted by broseph skalin View Post
    Hey guys... I just refreshed my computer and need to reinstall the team fusion patch. Before I do that, however, I need to get the game to run on windows 8 again. I do not remember how I did this last time, can anyone help me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Dear all, please find a master-list of all suggested fixes and tips for reducing Cliffs of Dover crashes since the TF patch. Most of this information is from the ATAG forums. I will add to this list as I find more threads containing fixes to past problems.

Follow the (un-official) TF patch install video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3SrdqlB64

Repair the MS-Dotnet
    See 5 minutes into this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3SrdqlB64

Re-run the DX-setup
    See 5 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3SrdqlB64
    Broken links!!!
    i think it's super important to repair them!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by EAF51_Jimmi View Post
    Broken links!!!
    i think it's super important to repair them!!!
    BUMP
    all new people coming here to play CLOD need those links active!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by EAF51_Jimmi View Post
    BUMP
    all new people coming here to play CLOD need those links active!
    Links were deactivated by the originator and have now been removed. Thanks for alerting us, Jimmi.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    158.17 MB

This game is pretty frustrating to play due to the game freezes.

I installed everything up to 4.12. I dont have the KB2670838 file on my win 7 computer 64 bit edition. I followed all suggestions per the newcomer section and the game constantly freezes up. It's unplayable.

I don't have an issue with processing power or video card. I get over 100 fps when it runs and its very smooth. It just freezes up mid game. I can't see how anyone can play this thing reliably.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Totalize View Post
    This game is pretty frustrating to play due to the game freezes.

I installed everything up to 4.12. I dont have the KB2670838 file on my win 7 computer 64 bit edition. I followed all suggestions per the newcomer section and the game constantly freezes up. It's unplayable.

I don't have an issue with processing power or video card. I get over 100 fps when it runs and its very smooth. It just freezes up mid game. I can't see how anyone can play this thing reliably.

Any suggestions?
    Hi Totalize,

The two normal culprits for freezes are KB2670838 which you say you don't have and overlays (teamspeak, steam etc) that mess with directx.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.50 GB

This helped so much thank you

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Excuse me, Is there anybody who encounter launcher.exe crash after latest .net framework upgrade (.NET Framework 4.6.1, KB3102433)?
    I want to know whether this problem is happening only on me.
    My environment is Win7 home premium 64bit, CloD Steam version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Boku

a squad-mate had problems after a recent windows-update. Can't tell if it was this one tough... Will ask him!
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by boku View Post
    Excuse me, Is there anybody who encounter launcher.exe crash after latest .net framework upgrade (.NET Framework 4.6.1, KB3102433)?
    I want to know whether this problem is happening only on me.
    My environment is Win7 home premium 64bit, CloD Steam version.
    I'm having launcher crash on joining the ATAG Multiplayer Server since doing some Win7 updates & also updating DirectX and .Net this weekend. So it is potentially the same issue. I detailed the issue and steps taken to find a resolution on this thread.

I'm running the latest mod (4.312) but also Win7 SP1 64bit, so there are some similarities there.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Three things to add to the CloD crashes - Master list:

After refreshing my Win7 install and getting IE working properly, I found that CloD had a NEW problem. This time it was hanging up on the initial splash screen (the little airplane with "MOD" written in front of it). This happened consistently with all versions as I stepped through installing all the Team Fusion mods.

In every case, there was no error or crash--it would just freeze and never continue with the splash video or reach the menu.

It turns out that the root problem is similar problem to the Internet Explorer issue I was having. The problem there was that the Windows Update system was corrupted. Various version of IE were half installed and half un-installed, leaving the system in a state where it wouldn't allow you to install the updates because of corruption, but you couldn't UNinstall them either (because they are not listed as installed) to clear out the corrupted or half-installed versions.

This time the problem was with the .NET framework. I ran the installer in the redist subdirectory, but it would never complete. I ran the installer that now comes in Windows Update for .NET with the same result. I tried downloading and running a few installers that I found online on the Windows web site with the same result.

I ended up following directions like those found here to eventually clean up the previous partial installs of .NET and solve the problem.

Troubleshooting is hard without any error messages - and how you can get SOME error messages related to CloD problems
    By the way, my clue to the fact that .NET was the core problem, is that I had another program that was malfunctioning at the same time. The big difference was that the other program actually exited with an error message that told me what the problem was--.NET framework not installed. (In this case it was the EDTracker software; it doesn't really matter what it was though--important is that it was software that gives a proper error message when it's failing instead of just hanging/freezing indefinitely!) At that point I knew what to do to solve the problem. When the problem is as vague as "It's hanging up" you don't even know where to start . . .

One of the difficulties of troubleshooting CloD is that it does not usually give helpful error messages when it crashes. This leaves you fumbling in the dark quite a bit. One technique that is helpful here is to take a look at the Windows "Event Viewer" - search for "event viewer" or "event log" in the Windows start/search area to find it, or look in your "Computer Management" tool.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Feb-18-2016 at 17:21.

19. Likes ATAG_Lolsav liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Angry Re: Dealing with CloD Crashes - Master list

This is a 1st post as I cannot get CloD to run (although it did previously) and I would like to download the CloDer.exe file.

21. Likes odin3009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    171.6 KB

Try running Launcher with CloDer.exe
    Launcher.exe fails to run on start or crashes on splash screen? One of the windows updates caused a "write process memory" error with the maddox.dll. Download this program, place it in your Cliffs of Dover directory and run CloD using the CloDer.exe it should force your game to run.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ile&fileid=207

Disable Windows7 Update KB2670838
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=3528

Check the Launcher Compatibility in Steam
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...1788#post41788

Disable any sweetfx or injectfx you have running
    Remove dxg9.dll from your game folder

NVidia users, try playing with your NVidia driver settings:
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=3135
    http://thevirtualflyer.blogspot.co.u...-settings.html

Try disabling any Printers you might have installed
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...?t=3977&page=2

Update your Graphics Drivers, and try lowering your in-game Graphics settings
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=4037

Disable your Anti-Virus
    Find the anti-virus in your task bar or windows task list and disable it. It will restore when you re-boot.

Run the Launcher in "administrator" mode
    Place a shortcut to the launcher (from your game folder) on your desktop. When you want to run CloD, right-click the shortcut and select "run as administrator"

(Edited by Naked Squirrel)
    Good evening. I am afraid I have to add an other reason for game crashes! I'd like to explain my case and possibly get some help to solve the problem.
    I am playing in all different servrers , but expecially on TWC servers, where the skies are reasonably crowded and somehow easier.
    By about 3 WEEKS, exspecially after bombing targets (such as fuel damps with a lot of flames and explosions) within a few minutes (5 to 15 generally)the screen freezes ans after a few seconds becames black and the...I am out of the game ...to the desktop.
    I lower oll the craphics parameters and also the resolution (down to 1250-800). I do not know what else I can do. . Some kind TWC members tried to help me, but without success One sais it may be the video card, but why , if until 3 weeks aho it was working oerfectly and I have no problems with other servers? If can be of help. I have Windows 10, processor i-5 5°generation, video geforce 650 TI BoosObviously widows gives out an error , but without number and claiming some involvement of NET FRAMEWORK. I have on board, the version 4.7 which came inside the the operational system. Can anybody help?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    171.6 KB

Thanks for the reply. Thr solution was almost obvious: I changed the video card and , so fr, I have no problems.
    I know, it's a shortcut, but all the rest ...for me is almost chinese!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

For future reference, whenever u have problems it is necessary for us to know your system specs as in my sig below.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    171.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ilario38 View Post
    Good evening. I am afraid I have to add an other reason for game crashes! I'd like to explain my case and possibly get some help to solve the problem.
    I am playing in all different servrers , but expecially on TWC servers, where the skies are reasonably crowded and somehow easier.
    By about 3 WEEKS, exspecially after bombing targets (such as fuel damps with a lot of flames and explosions) within a few minutes (5 to 15 generally)the screen freezes ans after a few seconds becames black and the...I am out of the game ...to the desktop.
    I lower oll the craphics parameters and also the resolution (down to 1250-800). I do not know what else I can do. . Some kind TWC members tried to help me, but without success One sais it may be the video card, but why , if until 3 weeks aho it was working oerfectly and I have no problems with other servers? If can be of help. I have Windows 10, processor i-5 5°generation, video geforce 650 TI BoosObviously widows gives out an error , but without number and claiming some involvement of NET FRAMEWORK. I have on board, the version 4.7 which came inside the the operational system. Can anybody help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Good morning <again. As for my second message I have now a new video card Asus Strix 1050 TI 4 GB. BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST! I cecked the Processor temperature and ahe maximum temperature recorded was 68, so il may not be the reason. I tried to enclose rthe cef. log from the "belly" of the game but it is too big.
    Any suggestion is welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Good morning <again. As for my second message I have now a new video card Asus Strix 1050 TI 4 GB. BUT THE PROBLEM PERSIST! I cecked the Processor temperature and ahe maximum temperature recorded was 68, so il may not be the reason. I tried to enclose rthe cef. log from the "belly" of the game but it is too big.
    If you bomb with He 111, Br 20 or Blennheim, trying to use the bombsight and crash with net framework, if you do so, then you have the same problem as me (GTX 780).
    Only way to avoid the crash is not using the "move to gunsight" at the bombsight and bomb "blind" when your mates with the same speed and altitude tell you to drop the bombs.
    I can only use the Ju88 bombsight mostly fine if I don't use my hatswitch during the movement towards the bombsight view.

If it's not the same problem, you you can try to "refresh" the latest framework 4.7.2 version located inside the folder "Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.7"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have had the same exact symptoms during the TWC Campaign on July 16, 23, & 26, 2019, (and earlier as well). It's impossible to evaluate, but after changing Nvidia drivers and tweaking nearly every setting on my system, I feel that it must be related to the server data stream. I flew 48 sorties between failures, so I don't think it's my system. That leaves TWC or the Internet as the culprit...

These three events caused me to die in the game, busting me back to "Tyro", even though I was clearly over England at the time. If disconnects really act like a bailout as advertised, these were the only unsuccessful reserve parachutes in recent history for me...

EDIT 20190823: Reducing my overclock settings has eliminated these VGA failures. I've had over 100 trouble free sessions, each with multiple sorties as of Aug 23, 2019.
    Last edited by Baffin; Aug-23-2019 at 21:31. Reason: VGA Overclock reduced
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

28. Likes kaper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

ok gang: been fighting crashes for a month now, haven't had a crash/freeze for years
    could somebody post a link or directions how to access the "event logs" sp perhaps I can locate the culprit

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

30. Likes kaper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knuckles View Post
    ok gang: been fighting crashes for a month now, haven't had a crash/freeze for years
    could somebody post a link or directions how to access the "event logs" sp perhaps I can locate the culprit
    I have tried opening the .dmp files in the ccpcrash folder but haven't had any luck. Let me know when/if you find something. I didn't feel like downloading the windows developer kit and all that.

These crashes you guys are experiencing sound like the same thing happening on my pc. My temps are high but not extraordinary. Temps were the first thing I thought could be the problem because it's 35 degrees here the last few days and that seemed like to much of a coincidence.

The crashes happen at very random intervals between 5 and 30 minutes of flight. I thought it was twc campain server related but I played some single player and had a crash there aswell although it took way longer before it happend.

I'm going to try resetting my cpu clock to default (doing this hurts my soul). I'l report back in a while with the results.