Thread: 2 man bomber crew instructions

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

2 man bomber crew instructions

New to IL2 and online PC games. I've been looking for instructions on how to get two players in one bomber on ATAG. Is there a good source?

Thanks!
    You're never safe...................

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Re: 2 man bomber crew instructions

I kind of forget but the bomber/pilot spawns in then the 2nd person needs to look for that bomber on the map page where all the planes are listed. I think if the person clicks on the bomber he should show up in the turret. I could be wrong though, its been a while.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Not a bomber pilot but the basics are this:
    1.- Player 1 spawns the bomber in airfield A
    2.- Player 2 spawns on any plane on airfield A
    3.- Player 2 hits escape and looks for the Player 1 bomber in the list and selects an open position in the bomber

Colander.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Keller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It's pretty easy actually.

-Both players need to spawn at the same airfield in their own plane.
    -Pilot stays in his plane and does not switch to any other positions.
    -Crew member hits [esc] and finds the pilot's plane in the list on the right.
    -Double click on an empty position in the pilot's plane.

You can jump into another player's plane while flying as long as you are close to each other, not sure what the exact distance is but most likely around 10km.
    If you're going to jump into someone else's plane online it's best to ask for permission, jumping into someone plane and taking control of the bombardier position can really mess up the pilot.

Note: Each human can occupy 2 spots in a plane.
    For example, if I spawn a He-111 and move into the bombardier's position I will occupy "Pilot" and "Bombardier", this will prevent anyone for taking either of these spots.

In the He-111H-2 the bombardier is also the front gunner so if I occupy "Pilot" and "Bombardier" this will also "lock-out" gunner position 3 and 4 as well. There are other crew positions that hold multiple positions as well.

Luftwaffe plane positions:

JU-87
    Crew 1 - Pilot
    Crew 2 - Gunner

BF-110
    Crew 1 - Pilot
    Crew 2 - Gunner

JU-88
    Crew 1 - Pilot
    Crew 2 - Bombardier/Nose Gunner
    Crew 3 - Top Gunner/Ventral Gunner

Now things with the HE-111 are a little messed up. The game only models 4 crewmen for both variants but there was usually one more for a total of 5 in a H-2 model.

HE-111P-2
    Crew 1 - Pilot
    Crew 2 - Bombardier/Nose Gunner
    Crew 3 - Top Gunner
    Crew 4 - Ventral Gunner/Waist Gunner Left/Waist Gunner Right

HE-111H-2
    Crew 1 - Pilot
    Crew 2 - Bombardier/Lower Nose Gunner/Upper Nose Gunner
    Crew 3 - Top Gunner
    Crew 4 - Ventral Gunner/Waist Gunner Left/Waist Gunner Right

Switching Positions

You can use "C" (default) to cycle through crew positions.
    The better way to do this is by using the [Alt] key combined with the numbers at the top of your keyboard.

JU-87
    [Alt] + 1 - Pilot
    [Alt] + 2 - Gunner

BF-110
    [Alt] + 1 - Pilot
    [Alt] + 2 - Gunner

JU-88
    [Alt] + 1 - Pilot
    [Alt] + 2 - Bombardier
    [Alt] + 3 - Nose Gunner
    [Alt] + 4 - Top Gunner
    [Alt] + 5 - Ventral Gunner

HE-111P-2
    [Alt] + 1 - Pilot
    [Alt] + 2 - Bombardier
    [Alt] + 3 - Nose Gunner
    [Alt] + 4 - Top Gunner
    [Alt] + 5 - Ventral Gunner
    [Alt] + 6 - Left Waist Gunner
    [Alt] + 7 - Right Waist Gunner

HE-111H-2
    [Alt] + 1 - Pilot
    [Alt] + 2 - Bombardier
    [Alt] + 3 - Lower Nose Gunner
    [Alt] + 4 - Upper Nose Gunner
    [Alt] + 5 - Top Gunner
    [Alt] + 6 - Ventral Gunner
    [Alt] + 7 - Left Waist Gunner
    [Alt] + 8 - Right Waist Gunner
    Last edited by III./ZG76_Keller; Apr-05-2013 at 14:32.

III./ZG76 2N+ZR
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Intel Core i7 4970 @ 3.6 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, GTX 980 4GB GPU

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

Thats it Colander: Sometime you dont even have to be at the same airfield. Just somewhat close: also helps to have a joystick mapped to the turret or bomb aimers position.

Knucks

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

@Knuckles, would you be able to give me the crew position info for the Blenheim in the same format as my post above? This would be a good addition to the wiki.

III./ZG76 2N+ZR

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

CMWARTIME

One more thing - case you dont know.

After assume some gunner position you need:
    1- Unpark the turret (in Br.20 - after hit the command you have time to go down to navigator cockpit and drink a sip from bottle of wine hidden under radio tabble before the torrent get in position).
    2- "Lean do gunsight" (Shift+F1)

And, map keys - I advise use "WASD" - to move the turrent (not all bombers need), to aim the gun you use mouse, is recommended go to Conf.ini and change mouse speed to 1.50 or more.
    And map another key/button for "fire current weapon" (the turrent gun) or "hold to interact with interface..." or something, because both functions are default mapped for left mouse button, which prevents moving the crosshair and shoot at the same time.

Detail: in all planes minus Br.20 the turrent Y axis control are inverted - you move mouse down the gunsight move up.
    In Br.20 X and Y are inverted, mouse down gunsight up, mouse left gunsight right, etc...

EDIT - For Br.20 top turret don use mouse control, use joystick X, Y axis plus a modifier key , ie ALT+JoyX, ALT+JoyY
    this result in the best turret control seen in WWII sim.

And finally, if the bomber made vertical movements above of 5m/s the guns locks...

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; May-22-2013 at 09:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

And finally, if the bomber made vertical movements above of 5m/s the guns locks...

Sokol1
    Solol1 you have mentioned this many times and it has finally sunk in what you mean by it! I started to doing tests to confirm what you have been saying and it works like a charm with both gunning for yourself or having someone else gun for you.

Your gun positions will fire if you are in a climb, dive, or transitioning in between if the climb/dive rate is under 5 m/s.

If you are in a climb/dive at a rate above 5 m/s, even if you are not pulling any g's, your guns will not fire.

You can test this for yourself by first flying straight and level, jump in a gunner position and verify they will fire. Next climb at a steady 4 m/s and test again (still will fire). Then climb at a steady 6 m/s and they will not fire. Drop back down to a steady 3 or 4 m/s climb and they should start firing again.

So bombers if you want to gun for yourself or have someone else gun for you, make sure you are flying in the narrow envelope of keeping your climbs and dives shallow, kicking some rudder doesn't seem to affect it though.

Thanks to Keller and Catseye (unwittenly) for helping me test this.

S! Sokol1

Torric
    Last edited by Torric270; Apr-06-2013 at 03:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

For ATAG_Keller

Blenheim

Crew 1 Pilot
    Crew 2 Bomb Aimer
    Crew 3 Rear Turret

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    161.38 MB

DOH! i wish i had read this thread sooner, me and a squad mate thought we would have a go at being a rear gunner in the 110 after i read that it could be done on hear somewhere( i believed it wasn't possible) anyway after much flaffing about we finally got all the keys sorted and mouse aiming etc only to get really hacked off with the MG intermittently firing and having no clue as to why (now we know thanks Sokol1 ) Could a set up guide be added to the Wiki on this subject possibly ?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Little addition, you don't have to spawn at the exactly airfiled as the bomber you want to join, as long as you are close enough. My Bombardier had a launchercrash yesterday as i was already north of calais (startingpoint tramecourt) and it was possible for him to spawn at marck and jump in. It was mentioned already above but i would say it was more than 10km away of the airfiled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I seem to remember reading somewhere something about 'If a single player goes to the gunner position, when he returns to the pilot position the AI gunner will not take over again unless he returns via the bomb aimer position'.

Anyone confirms that? What is the exact rule?
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Yes, human player always occupies the two last handled positions.

So return to pilot cockpit via bombardier/navigator cockpit is the "rule".

If you check online stats see: Player X pilot, navigator...

In Ju-87 need "leave" the plane for IA (Alt+F2) and take control again...

Thanks to "UBIZ00 wishes"...

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes, as 1lokos said. If I go to a rear gunner position in the He-111 I always go Bombadier > Pilot to make sure the AI has taken over the gunners.

III./ZG76 2N+ZR

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

this type of information should really be provided in the CoD manual, to avoid frustration for the many new people who try CoD

can some of this also be streamlined with the future ATAG patches ? eg, correct gunnery directional behavior with mouse control (or a setting in the options that allows the user to invert its controls at least), and maybe warning msg's being displayed when leaving a plane gunner position that you need to transfer to the copilot/navigator position to have AI take over control of the gunner position you leave. improvements in making CoD more intuitive and more user friendly to new people is important if we hope to increase its popularity in the future
    The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.- Thomas Jefferson
    Fascism is simply the convergence of government and corporate power - Benito Mussolini

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey all..

I was flying He111 and my friend was manning the bombardier position, he did set the bombsight altimeter and velocity. He also armed bombs, opened bomb bay doors and set bombsight automation on. Also bomb distribution was set and delay and salvo.

While I kept the plane level and steady he kept his eyes on bombsight all the way over the target, until bombsight automation turned off. But we are quite sure that bombs never dropped. So im asking if it is even possible for anyone else except the planes owner to drop the bombs.

He also shot one Hurricane down on the same flight

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Siiseli View Post
    Hey all..

I was flying He111 and my friend was manning the bombardier position, he did set the bombsight altimeter and velocity. He also armed bombs, opened bomb bay doors and set bombsight automation on. Also bomb distribution was set and delay and salvo.

While I kept the plane level and steady he kept his eyes on bombsight all the way over the target, until bombsight automation turned off. But we are quite sure that bombs never dropped. So im asking if it is even possible for anyone else except the planes owner to drop the bombs.

He also shot one Hurricane down on the same flight
    Yes, I have dropped successfully as the bombardier both using the automation and manually (BR20) I suggest setting the plane up in mode 22 and then you (the pilot) go to the ventral gunner spot and watch and see if he can drop the bombs manually and with automation. The problem may be which bomb fuse you used as there is a bug sometimes when switching back from low level to high level fuses at times.

xvii-Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by Siiseli View Post
    We've regularly used two players (pilot + bombardier) in the Ju 88, so it works there. In addition to Torric's good advice, check that your bomb doors were actually open. On the Ju 88, this is a pilot-task, not a bombardier task, and it may well be the same for the He 111.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

nah, cant see the 111's doors...
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the fast replies! We will try again soon. Any hints or tips for the bomb load and bomb types/fuses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Thread stickied. May come in handy for Zim's event later today.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz