Thread: how do you load a bomber with bombs?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    196.73 MB

how do you load a bomber with bombs?

Hi all,

ok, i've had the game since it first came out and i've never mamaged to drop a bomb on anything and have it explode with the Ju87. so after always messing around with fighters i thought i'd give the german bombers a try. I've been on multi player and loaded up with bombs on the HE111 H2 but when i fly in either multi or single player the bomb bay is always empty. Can some one please give me a step by step guide on loading up with bombs, selecting a fuse and successfully dropping them. I'm not even bothered about the bomb site or even bombing england yet, just drop a bomb and have it explode will do for now. Cheers.

PS. TF.........love i!.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    196.73 MB

Re: how do you load a bomer with bombs?

Mmmmmmmm, come on guys. no body willing to help out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by keeno View Post
    Mmmmmmmm, come on guys. no body willing to help out?
    Hi keeno, I'm a little surprised no one has helped you yet.

A couple things about bombing things: Single player quick mission loadouts are glitched and therefore that might be the issue.

For multiplayer, it doesn't have these issues but a couple things to be made aware of: check your bomb fuses and make sure you are releases high enough for the bombs to go off and account for the delay that might exist with the fuses.

For the He-111 you need to make sure your bomb bay doors are open.

Last and most important: make sure your bombs are ARMED (by default, they are not) to make sure they go off.
    In other words, if your bombs aren't set to go boom, then quite simply, they won't go boom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

To be honest I don't know where to start because you say you have loaded up with bombs, which means you have been to the loadout screen and know how to select bombs, then you say your bomb bay is empty.

Possibilities:-
    If you are testing using a standard single player mission then the bombload has already been specified by the person who wrote it and they may not have allowed you to chose a different loadout, even worse they may not have specified you have any bombs. I have not tried the LW ones that come with the game but I know the Blenheim cross country mission has no bombs and wont allow you to add them.

The Ju88 has two bomb bays and wing racks so if you put bombs in all three slots you will see bombs under your wings when you spawn in and also from the lower gunners view. From the loadout screen you also will have seen the weight of your aircraft increase when you added bombs and it will probably turn red to say you are overweight and need to reduce the fuel load to get off the ground safely.

If you see bombs under the wings before you take-off then the problem is that they are not exploding.
    Before dropping the bombs you must open the bomb bay doors. Do not use 'Toggle Bomb Bay Doors' because it wont work on a JU88, you must set a key for 'Open' and another key for 'Close'. This is because the doors are manually operated, only electrically operated doors can use 'Toggle'. You must also have a key for 'Arm Bombs' or all you are dropping is heavy weights.

Can I assume you also saw the third tab in the 'Loadout' screen that allows you to set the fuses? For the purposes of testing you should set them to 'Low Level' fuses on all the bombs you have loaded. GP250s will accept low level fuses so load them in both bays and under the wings then choose low level fuse for the GP250s.

Go online in a JU88 and when you are sure you can see bombs under your wings (the ATAG server does not allow external views so go to the bottom gunner and look sideways) then take off and fly a few minutes away from the airfield then turn 180. As soon as you are lined up on the airfield open the bomb doors (you will see doors open from bottom gunner) and press the key to arm your bombs then fly over the airfield at low level, e.g. 500m, and as you approach the near boundary of the airfield press the 'drop bombs' key. Immediately jump to the bottom gunner and you should see the bombs dropping. Jump back to pilot before you crash and do a steep turn so you can see the bombs hit the airfield. Don't forget the low level fuses will have a 14 second delay before they explode.

I have no bothered telling you about choosing which bomb bay to drop from or choosing between 'Salvo', 'Series' and 'Single' drop modes because if you don't change anything the default is to drop everything as soon as you hit 'Drop Bombs' and that is ideal for our test purposes.

Two final points:-

There may be a bug in the JU88 (and maybe the He111?) because many people have complained they opened the doors before starting the attack then found they had closed again on their own. I have seen this myself but can't be absolutely sure I did not forget or do something else stupid. I don't think anyone has 100% proved this is happening but to be sure, don't open the doors more than a minute from drop and then immediately go to bottom gunner to confirm the doors are open.

It is very easy to forget to arm the bombs as you attack so double check
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Keno,

It's not difficult load bombs - how do this offline(1):

In CloD main menu select PLANE. In the next screen double click on status bar (plane name) above Spitfire picture, this open the plane list, select from this list the He-111 H-2 (example):

He111bombs (1).jpg
    He111bombs (2).jpg

Then click in LOADOUT:

He111bombs (3).jpg

In the next screen (PLANE LOADOUT OPTIONS) click on "Weapons set" tab, an in the click in "Central bomb Bay", clink on arrow down left of "Empty" and from drop list select the desired bombs (in example 32 GP SC 50).

He111bombs (3).jpg

Notice that in "Weapons preset" box the "Default(Stock)" name now have a * - this mean that you need save this new settings.

He111bombs(41).jpg

So click in "Save as" and type a name for you new bomb settings, ex. 32x50. OK.

He111bombs (4).jpg

BTW- If you don't plan go to bombard Fort Lamy probable don't need 100% of fuel, reduce then in this screen. )

Now click in "Bombs" tab (TF guys: this tab should by called "Fuses"). Select the appropriated fuse (High level, dive, low level...) notice that 32x50 name (created in previous screen) now have the * that means save the new settings again. Save and hit OK.

He111bombs (5).jpg

To test, select any Quick Mission (In example 3 - Free Flight), double click in plane picture and in list select He 111 H-2. (Attention for the note on final).

He111bombs (52).jpg

And IMPORTANT, in the drop box bellow plane name select the created bomb load settings "32x50".

He111bombs (53).jpg

Hit FLY button.

After the mission load, in the plane screen you are able to check what LOADOUT was on board, but but CAN NOT not change anything unless convergence.

He111bombs (9).jpgHe111bombs (8).jpg

So, hit FLY again to start the flying, open the bomb bayand watch the "bombs away".

He111bombs (10).jpg

(1) Myth: "CloD don't allow change bombs loadout offline".

NOTE: As you are changing a existent Quick Mission and not creating a new Quick Mission like in IL-2:46 you can't open the loadout for default plane in selected mission before choose new plane, for example 3 - Free Flight, BF 109:

He111bombs (7).jpg

Because when you change plane type - no He 111, the game will see only the loadout for default plane (Bf 109).

He111bombs (6).jpg

Another Greemlin "It's CLod!".

Is important understand that CloD dont have a Quick Mission Builder (like IL-2:46), but instead has rushed Quick Missions that allow only change plane type - but not sides - time of day, clouds and nothing more. Is not the same thing. "It's CLod".

Sokol1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-16-2016 at 02:43. Reason: Replace images "lost" by Imageshack

6. Likes sw1ive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

Sokol1
    So why did you recently write a post that included a link to a new version of the cross country mission that allowed bombs to be chosen?

In the file linked bellow the "infamous" Cross-Country mission edited, now Blenheim have bombs- and are two small "eastern egg".

https://anonfiles.com/file/611f12b41...4fe2addb28b9ca

Sokol1
    Last edited by Roblex; Jun-02-2013 at 12:15.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: how do you load a bomber with bombs?

Because I did the same thing: previously create custom loadouts to be able select then in QM.

That is boring (like set ammo belts...), Blenheim for example:

2 types of bombs
    4 types of fuses
    4 delay settings for some fuses (one with 5 if someone plan use a 144 hour delay...?)

We need accept that what is not possible in CloD is change loadout "a la il-2 1946" - then we can do is adapt.

BTW - It's similar to COOP, is not possible do COOP "a la il-2 1946" in CloD, but is possible do COOP (some players done a preset mission).

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jun-02-2013 at 13:53.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    196.73 MB

thanks for all this guys, exactly what i was looking for. can't wait to try and shift some earth now!. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

This is a great thread. I've "stickied" it so it's a little easier to find for reference.

Thanks to all for contributing.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In primis Hello Everybody!
    I'm Sorry for my bad english, but i try to explain the problems that me and 72sq_Popale we found with german's bombs.
    We tried to load out bombs (8 + 250 kg in level bombing) with He111 without automatic pointer. We have armed bombs, open bay door and dropped. None explosions.
    So we tried bf109 E1/B with 1 bomb 250 kg with level bombing fuse, but none explosion
    We tried bf109 E3/B with 1 bomb 250 kg with level bombing fuse and we see explosion
    We tried bf110 C7 with 2 bombs 250 kg with level bombing fuse.... none explosion
    We tried bf110 C7 with 1 bomb 500 kg with low level bombing fuse and we see explosion....

The question it's this... Where we can read every combination (plane - bomb - fuse) of german side?

Sorry again for my bad english

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi

if you use the level-bombing-fuse, the bomb will not explode when dropped under 1000m. So climb above 1000m or use another fuse!
    I think that should solve your problem!

Cheers!
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Basically, the >1.000 m level-bombing fuse triggers the bomb based on time and not on altitude.

The 1.000 m is only an indication. Meaning, if you drop your bombs at 1.000 m in level-flight it should be just enough time for the fuse to arm the bomb before it hits the ground. But if you drop your bomb in a high-speed dive not even 2.000 m might be enough.

If the bomb type has the option I always go for the low-level fuse. No matter if you drop it from low or high-altitude or in a dive - it will always explode. Sadly, it is only available for the SC-bombs and not the SD-bombs.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Good info in this thread. Nevertheless have encountered now online a situation that even selecting bombs they are not there when creating the flight. Happened so far on Bf109E jabo variants and the Bf110C-7, propably on the Blenheim too. Easier to see in German planes though as there are indicators for the bomb load.

EDIT: Took Ju87B-2 and selected custom loadout aka 500kg. Saved as and created flight = no bombs. Then tried Ju88A-1, took 4 x 250kg and low level fuze. Bombs appeared, dropped them on target at around 400m, but they did not go off Pretty darn frustrating to be modest.
    Last edited by Flanker35M; Dec-11-2014 at 14:50.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the infos. Nice thread

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.59 MB

Keno,

It's not difficult - how do this offline(1):

In CloD main menu select PLANE. In the next screen double click on status bar (plane name) above Spitfire picture, this open the plane list, select from then the He-111 H-2 (example), then click in LOADOUT.

In the next screen (PLANE LOADOUT OPTIONS) click on "Weapons set" tab, an in the click in "Central bomb Bay", clink on arrow down left of "Empty" and from drop list select the desired bombs (in example 32 GP SC 50).

Notice that in "Weapons preset" box the "Default(Stock)" name have a * - this mean that you need save this new settings. So click in "Save as" and type a name for you new bomb settings, ex. 32x50. OK.
    BTW- If you don't plan go to bombard Fort Lamy probable don't need 100% of fuel, reduce then in this screen. )

Now click in "Bombs" tab (TF guys this tab should by "Fuses"). Select the appropriated fuse (High level, dive, low level...) notice that 32x50 name (created in previous screen) now have the * that means save the new settings again. Save and hit OK.

To test, select any Quick Mission ( In example Cross country), double click in plane picture and in list select He 111 H-2.

And IMPORTANT, in the drop box bellow plane name select the created bomb settings "32x50". Hit FLY button.

After the mission load, in the plane screen you are able to check what LOADOUT was on board, but but CAN NOT not change anything unless convergence. (2)

So, hit FLY again to start the flying, open the bomb bay and watch the "bombs away".

(2) Online (MP), in the mission screen click in PLANE, then in LOADOUT and select bombs in the same way explained above.

Sokol1
    I tried this and the setting were saved but when I play the missions the bomb bays are empty so I end up just flying around and eventually shot down

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Since Imageshack has "lost" the original images, I did the same procedure to take new images and create loadout in PLANE offline work as explained.

Pay attention in notes on final, because if click in wrong place the game don't see the loadout for the plane replaced in Quick Mission, only for the original plane in that mission.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    92.59 MB

Since Imageshack has "lost" the original images, I did the same procedure to take new images and create loadout in PLANE offline work as explained.

Pay attention in notes on final, because if click in wrong place the game don't see the loadout for the plane replaced in Quick Mission, only for the original plane in that mission.

And IMPORTANT, in the drop box bellow plane name select the created bomb load settings "32x50".

He111bombs (53).jpg

That is the part I was missing. Will try it out tonight. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.81 MB

Can someone help me please with this bomb loadout. I've tried everything suggested here but bf109 e1/b remains with the bays empty in the single mission. Should the bombs stay outside or they are inside and the dors must be open before the drop. Are the bombs visible before take off? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by delta_tango View Post
    Can someone help me please with this bomb loadout. I've tried everything suggested here but bf109 e1/b remains with the bays empty in the single mission. Should the bombs stay outside or they are inside and the dors must be open before the drop. Are the bombs visible before take off? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    No doors on E-1B... bomb is carried on the rack.

You must select the rack... and then you must select the bombs to go on it.

And then you must select the type of fuse on the bombs.