Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How Can We Get More People to Play Clod?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

How Can We Get More People to Play Clod?

The original thread on this subject got derailed and then closed after I felt there was some real progression towards attracting more players to this sim, hence this re-thread

Please don't use this thread for anything other than topic discussion..

So, Please copy and paste your posts from the original thread here and hopefully we can start again with some healthy objective discussion.

================================================== ===========

Its a Simple question....But I haven't seen anyone ask it yet

If you are reading this then you are probably one of the folks who plays COD on a regular basis and already know just how good it is...Through ATAGS we now have a dedicated crew called Team Fusion who are taking this abandoned sim and doing something constructive with it (working wonders actually) because its a quality WWII sim with a massive potential...but the fact is that still not many people play it....If you go on to Hyperlobby and look at the original IL-2 you will still see 100+ playing the owld sim on any given night and thats dying sim....but thats not the case with COD....If it were a bad game/sim then I could understand it and there be no need for a post...but we all know thats not the case

I thought I might start a discussion at least about this....I mean if we can get more folks flying COD then we WILL create longevity with the sim we love...That was proved with the original and even though it was a niche market the numbers of faithfull flyers didn't dwindle for many years....Only a couple of years ago did the numbers drop quickly and then over a few months....to the faithfull that are still enjoying it..and who still outnumber COD players

I flew the original IL-2 for many years on servers in Hyperlobby at first like 'Flying Circus', 'Big Top' and later 'Skies of Fire' but not many of those thousands of players (and there were thousands) have migrated to this follow on sim...and that stumps me...If we have that amount of players flying COD then this sim will be at the top of the online WWII sims in terms of numbers for many years to come just as the original was...We would have guaranteed longevity

So what can we do to attract more folks?

How can we get those faithfull flyers to fly COD?

Am I right in assuming we want more flyers?....That has to be a given, surely?

I just thought I would throw this out there to you clever WWII aircraft enthusiasts who might enlighten me as to how or why...and if and but

Thank ~S~

Lew
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

2. Likes Akula93 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: How Can We Get More People to Play Clod?

I see a few of the community here have posted reviews on the Amazon website.....I just did too...But I just realised something....I initially posted on the UK Amazon site as thats the one that comes up as default for me....That is ONLY for UK customers so if you are going to take the time to write a review then it makes more sense to go the extra yard and copy and paste it and post it on the international site too which will have a LOT more traffic...It will take you 5 minutes to do this

At present there are 27 reviews on the UK site and 128 on the international site....So I'd make a guess that the international site gets around 5 times the traffic the UK site does......Also if you have put a 4 star then up it to 5 to try to dilute those 1 star negative reviews...

Hmmm.....I wonder if Amazon will smell a rat if they get 100 reviews all with 5 star and the same date?....lol

You know, I even thought of contacting those folks who put a 1 star through their Amazon account and asking them to try the sim again and update their review...but I cant seem to be able to send them a message without it being seen....hehe.....SUBTERFUGE!!!

Amazon International:

http://www.amazon.com/IL-2-Sturmovik...+il2+sturmovik

Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturmovik-Cl...pr_product_top

Do we have a list of sites that CLOD is sold on that have a customer review option?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I really don't believe there is any chance of us overselling this product..at the present time there are 15 people playing it online.....in the world!

First the influence we are going to have, if we pull out all the stops, over the present population is not going to be massive...It will be small scale...I don't think we are going to overhaul the majority opinion that CLOD is to be seen in a negative light...But I don't think we can do any harm if we start to tip the balance in our favour...more than it is...

I want to see more people in ATAGS servers.....I want it to be full when I come to play....I want to have to wait and keep hitting that 'Enter server' key repeatedly in frustration because the server is packed and I can't get in....For me thats what it deserves.....We have the quality brains behind the transformation of this sim in the TF who are doing a blinding job....however, for any product it does not matter how good your team is if you can't sell your product then you have lost...

All I'm saying is lets try to tip the scales back to the positive, and encourage new blood by hitting the first point of contact which is when someone says...'Hey I'd like to play a WWII flight sim, now lets see the reviews of whats on the market' ...that includes reviews and video sites

So with the clever fellas we have here and this community surely there is something we can do toward getting those servers full.....constantly

What say you?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for trying to keep this discussion moving, that last thread was a sad show indeed at the end.

Anyway, here is my major contribution from the last forum that I will copy/pasta here.

I just had a thought while on the DCS subreddit, they have something called "Tuesday night noob" where they essentially set up a large scale training area where there are a large groups of targets at varying degree's of difficulty (ranging from simple trucks to concealed SAM systems), this gives new players not only a safe place to practice but also gives them direct access to more skilled players who spend time their to teach.

Rise of flight also has this in the form of the New wings server, again, it is a area where one who just started can go and get the info they need to do the basics in a relatively safe atmosphere.

Perhaps this would be something that ATAG could look into, perhaps this server does not need to always be up like New wings, perhaps it could just be a specific day of the week (frequent enough so that new players don't have to wait long to use it) and experienced players (I would even be willing to help with what I have learned myself) could hop in and help with everything ranging from CEM to basic combat.

Another thing that might help is actually starting a subreddit that is directly CloD related (as opposed to IL-2 in general), it might even be a good idea to use that subreddit as a way to organize players for online play without having them join a squadron (something that might intimidate new players), as a extension of that, it would be a good way to allow squadrons to non-aggressively recruit new members.

Reddit is a pretty popular place and a lot of flight simmers hang out there, I would be willing to start the subreddit but I am going to need help to get it going.

Lastly, I still think that keeping a eye on the War thunder forums is a good way to grab players, we would be doing them a favor anyway (money wise).

Quick update, I created the subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/IL2CliffsofDover

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I would agree that a nice instructional mission showing how to take off and do a circuit using CEM would be useful. What we would have to avoid though is making them too complicated! I cringe when I see a tutorial showing people how to adjust twenty different switches and levers before you even start the engine. That sort of thing just convinces newbies that the game is overcomplicated and that they will never learn enough to even get off the ground so why bother trying?

Show them how to turn on the fuel, start the engine, wait for optimum temperature, open the rad then take-off and raise the undercarriage. Then show them how to reduce the pitch a bit, maybe prompt them to try different pitch settings so they understand what it is doing, perhaps talk about rad settings, then bring them back to the field and talk them through the landing and flaps, pitch etc. then stop the engine using fuel switch.

This gives them a basic understanding and more importantly shows them that they can take off and do a circuit without blowing up. Once they know they can fly a circuit then they can look elsewhere for the fine details. There is no need to even mention mixture, magnetos, carb heating etc in this first lesson. I would say the majority of the online tutorials we have are overcomplicated and do more harm than good. I looked at this months issue of 'PC Pilot' and the article on how to fly the Blenheim was horrifying in it complexity! Nobody will come to CLOD after reading that!
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    I would agree that a nice instructional mission showing how to take off and do a circuit using CEM would be useful. What we would have to avoid though is making them too complicated! I cringe when I see a tutorial showing people how to adjust twenty different switches and levers before you even start the engine. That sort of thing just convinces newbies that the game is overcomplicated and that they will never learn enough to even get off the ground so why bother trying?

Show them how to turn on the fuel, start the engine, wait for optimum temperature, open the rad then take-off and raise the undercarriage. Then show them how to reduce the pitch a bit, maybe prompt them to try different pitch settings so they understand what it is doing, perhaps talk about rad settings, then bring them back to the field and talk them through the landing and flaps, pitch etc. then stop the engine using fuel switch.

This gives them a basic understanding and more importantly shows them that they can take off and do a circuit without blowing up. Once they know they can fly a circuit then they can look elsewhere for the fine details. There is no need to even mention mixture, magnetos, carb heating etc in this first lesson. I would say the majority of the online tutorials we have are overcomplicated and do more harm than good. I looked at this months issue of 'PC Pilot' and the article on how to fly the Blenheim was horrifying in it complexity! Nobody will come to CLOD after reading that!

While I do agree that some of the theory involved in CEM is difficult, I don't think (to the extent that it is modeled in CloD) that it is terribly complicated to teach the basics, I mean, we are not talking about doing a full start-up in the A-10C or the Ka-50 after all.

That said, I think I am thinking of less of a straight up organized and specific tutorial and more of a general learning environment where newbies can come on to the server and have a low pressure (and low risk) place to learn everything they want to learn, this could be done with a few helpful veteran pilots hanging around who are willing to teach whatever comes up.

I mean, organizing it like you would organize squadron training is a bad idea, it places too much pressure on the new players who are not even sure they want that kind of commitment, setting up a weekly server that is open all day (with different veterans coming in and out as desired) would provide a low pressure atmosphere where new players won't feel like they are going to get tested on what they have learned or anything like that.

We just want to give them that first push and not scare them away with too many formalities or stuff like that.

I agree that it should just be the basics, enough to give them context for their own study.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by startrekmike View Post
    While I do agree that some of the theory involved in CEM is difficult, I don't think (to the extent that it is modeled in CloD) that it is terribly complicated to teach the basics, I mean, we are not talking about doing a full start-up in the A-10C or the Ka-50 after all.

That said, I think I am thinking of less of a straight up organized and specific tutorial and more of a general learning environment where newbies can come on to the server and have a low pressure (and low risk) place to learn everything they want to learn, this could be done with a few helpful veteran pilots hanging around who are willing to teach whatever comes up.

I mean, organizing it like you would organize squadron training is a bad idea, it places too much pressure on the new players who are not even sure they want that kind of commitment, setting up a weekly server that is open all day (with different veterans coming in and out as desired) would provide a low pressure atmosphere where new players won't feel like they are going to get tested on what they have learned or anything like that.

We just want to give them that first push and not scare them away with too many formalities or stuff like that.

I agree that it should just be the basics, enough to give them context for their own study.
    This is very true. I don't think the basics of it all should take much more than a few hours. Obviously it helps if you understand the basic principles of an airplane with its controls, engine(s), and props etc.

I think one of the basic things is you have to have a passion for it in the 1st place. I started out on Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe back on the old 3.5" disk. And then went on to things like mechwarrior, wing commander etc, all sort of a simulation (more complex game) then to good ol Janes stuff. I honestly didn't even know about IL2 until I happened to stumble across it in the bargain bin at Best Buy one day. To my amazement there was this huge online community following etc, that I learned about more and more everyday.

So I think the target audience for a realistic sim almost has to be that same type of player to begin with. Someone that wants a little more than your average FPS go die real quick and respawn game. But the biggest problem I see in attracting new players to flight sims (those who aren't already simmers) is the initial investment they to need to make on equipment to get up and flying. Sure, there are cheap joysticks and what not around, but we all know how much of an experience and the type of immersion you get when you have a proper stick, throttle, rudder pedals, and track ir. That in itself has to be a sticker shock to those that research these hardcore type of simulations. Obviously, I think we can all agree on just how important all that equipment is. But until you've witnessed it 1st hand I don't think any newcomer will quite get the same satisfaction or replayability of it until they are fully immersed in the experience.

Getting to that level IMO is the hard part. But to want to buy all the equipment takes a passion for simulators as well. For new folks or those on the fence, this is like a catch 22.

My .02c

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
    the biggest problem I see in attracting new players to flight sims (those who aren't already simmers) is the initial investment they to need to make on equipment to get up and flying. Sure, there are cheap joysticks and what not around, but we all know how much of an experience and the type of immersion you get when you have a proper stick, throttle, rudder pedals, and track ir. That in itself has to be a sticker shock to those that research these hardcore type of simulations. c
    This is an important consideration, and one reason why I think the existing simming community is really the most important target. they already have the overcome what is possibly the largest barrier to entry - the cost of hardware.

Players who are completely new to simming of this nature don't turn up in large numbers, they trickle in as they stumble across the genre, often because they have a friend who already plays, or because they are pilots, or aviation fans in real life who can't afford to leave their jobs and fund pilot training for themselves

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    This is an important consideration, and one reason why I think the existing simming community is really the most important target. they already have the overcome what is possibly the largest barrier to entry - the cost of hardware.

Players who are completely new to simming of this nature don't turn up in large numbers, they trickle in as they stumble across the genre, often because they have a friend who already plays, or because they are pilots, or aviation fans in real life who can't afford to leave their jobs and fund pilot training for themselves
    One consideration is the very nature of a hard core sim and the type of player it attracts. Be it Clod, the DCS series, even FSX (ie. Wings of Power 3 series of WW2 aircraft), the person attracted to this kind of high end simulation is not of your average horde of yank 'n bank console game players. (Not knocking them -- but the simplified controls and flight/weapon modelling work fine with basic & cheap hand controllers). Be it photography, golf, bicycling, clay bird shooting, etc etc ........any sport or hobby can be started at entry level (ie. cheap joystick with hatswitch and twist-rudder) but, to excel, usually demands higher end equipment to accommodate (HOTAS, rudder, TrackIR, etc).

Elsewhere in this forum I recommended to a newcomer the TM16000 stick (currently $43 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-29607...ywords=Tm16000)

I have one. It works very well for Clod. Heck, no less than MK.MR.X eschews TrackIR, as do many other successful pilots. So, 43 bucks and you're in the game. Or, you can lay out for custom-built Ben Hogans and get a Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, a GTX780 card, etc -- and still get shot down! LOL

All to say, I believe Clod has the depth of play to accommodate beginners with minimal peripherals to the all-out enthusiast willing to invest heavily in his passion. Win -- win for everyone.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have to agree Snapper - I played with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro only, for the first year, and loved every minute of it. And that was as a totall newcomer to flight sims. The biggest thing that pulled me in, personally, was the community and several in particular at the beginning who talked me through the take-off procedure. For me, pushing videos out there showing great action and team-work is a big thing, and then tutorial videos on how to get going quickly, for beginners, for each plane so they can at least get in the air. You don't need to bombard them with the details that make for the perfect take-off and landing, just get them in the air, get them hooked, then the details come through talking to other players over time - such as prop-pitch, radiator settings etc.

Now I have TrackIR and I wonder how I did without it, but it's not really needed at the start.

On a good day you can still hear the rumble of the Merlin flying overhead.

12. Likes Gizz liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I think it's more the PC than the controls (as much as cost goes) and as Phil and Snapper stated, the type person does tend to be a simmer versus a "gamer". CLoD was actually my first foray into sim/gaming (at an advanced age and very late to the party) and my interest came from my holding a private pilot cert for many years and secondly blundering into some of the great video's the community has posted on YouTube/Vimeo. That wasn't all that long and and since then I have upgraded my PC to decent specs and have used just about every control system know to man to get shot down .

So yes,I think that we/need to be targeting specific people and I like the idea of noob training day or something like. I have met some great people and joined a squad/staffel and have/am participating in a campaign with people from all over the world. I enjoy the casual flying and also the squad training with my Mates for the campaigns. I may have never done that had I not been encouraged to get on teamspeak and fly online.

I'm also a race simmer with all the requisite wheels and pedals and race in a league but that's another story. I only mention it because I think that that community might also contain potential flyers? I'll give that a go.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

14. Likes DOWNEAST liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

I've read the posts here and agree with most that has been said. Some of my comments echo those. In the beginning the original IL2 modding was slow to take off. It gained momentum soon after. I'm guess that there is much more that TF could do "IF" more code was released (just guessing here).

And as for advertising CloD, well as pointed out, many video enthusiast have put a LOT of time in their support here. Visual aids do more than many words will. AS for word of mouth, many of us do this as often as an opportunity provides itself. However here the opposition has been from both sides of the aisle.

From the OLD IL2 modding community I suspect that from the many angry words that cane from there that many felt that ALL their present or past work would be thrown away for CloD. Then there were the ones who could not run CloD because their machines were not up to it. I, personally, will not sit and argue with someone that has already made up their minds that CloD is BAD. It's a waist of my time. I don't mind a discussion, but not an argument.

RoF, which I fly and love, has high requirement's in most cases, but their are those from that community that can not run it and thus do not support CloD. Understandable, but I guess I was raised a wee bit different in that I don't what I can't play.

Many will spend a paltry $12 on this game and feel ripped off. I spent $60 and knew what I was stepping into. Well maybe not totally, but enough so. Somehow, spelled hope, I knew that someone would take up the fallen banner and run with it as TF has.

Flight sims as has been explained to me is a Very small group. And as such, there will never be a real large following. Especially when split between other flight sims. Those that play games like BF3 exclusively (not knocking the game) have a tendency to enjoy quick Arcady battles like you'll find in War Thunder. They are not in to a sim of reality where you have to navigate or 'find' your prey. They want quick action and then pull the plug.

Please, do not get me wrong. If this is their choice, so be it. But any sim worth it's salt has to be worked at. CloD is one of those. Hell DCS with all it's button still whips my arse. But I still like it.

But all my rhetoric does not answer your question. As enthusiast we keep on as best as we can. We support CloD and those that want to help it succeed. We Inform where we can without getting into a sunny brooke over it. What else can we do?

AS for present numbers on the servers, well let's not forget it's summer time most places and that means outdoor stuff.
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    There is no need to even mention mixture, magnetos, carb heating etc in this first lesson. I would say the majority of the online tutorials we have are overcomplicated and do more harm than good. I looked at this months issue of 'PC Pilot' and the article on how to fly the Blenheim was horrifying in it complexity! Nobody will come to CLOD after reading that!
    A proper Blenheim tutorial here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=121341795

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    A proper Blenheim tutorial here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=121341795

Sokol1
    OK. I was not going to blow my own horn but now you come to mention it, that is a great tutorial

To be serious, what I am objecting to is tutorials that show you switching on both magnetos (even though they are switched on by default) then moving the mixture from Rich to Lean and back to Rich (Not only is it already Rich but you will rarely change it to Lean anyway) then do the same with the pitch that is already in the right place or maybe change it just for the warm up when it is not necessary. They might even insist on checking the oxygen flow and hydraulic pressures. When a newb has tried using CEM and seen his engine blow up 5 times in row before he has even reached the end of the runway then this sort of tutorial will be the final straw that makes him delete the game and put a bad rating on Amazon.
    Last edited by Roblex; Jul-11-2013 at 14:52.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

Sokol1
    That is a top tutorial and it exactly how I fly her.

Lets get down to brass tacks here, I can fly that bird upside down through the eye of a needle with a full bomb load and still come out unscathed.

I only take 20% fuel though, thats just enough to reach the moon in the Blennie. Plus its usually a one way ticket anyway.

Excellent work Roblex
    i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz | nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 11 Pro

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    One consideration is the very nature of a hard core sim and the type of player it attracts. Be it Clod, the DCS series, even FSX (ie. Wings of Power 3 series of WW2 aircraft), the person attracted to this kind of high end simulation is not of your average horde of yank 'n bank console game players. (Not knocking them -- but the simplified controls and flight/weapon modelling work fine with basic & cheap hand controllers). Be it photography, golf, bicycling, clay bird shooting, etc etc ........any sport or hobby can be started at entry level (ie. cheap joystick with hatswitch and twist-rudder) but, to excel, usually demands higher end equipment to accommodate (HOTAS, rudder, TrackIR, etc).

Elsewhere in this forum I recommended to a newcomer the TM16000 stick (currently $43 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-29607...ywords=Tm16000)

I have one. It works very well for Clod. Heck, no less than MK.MR.X eschews TrackIR, as do many other successful pilots. So, 43 bucks and you're in the game. Or, you can lay out for custom-built Ben Hogans and get a Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, a GTX780 card, etc -- and still get shot down! LOL

All to say, I believe Clod has the depth of play to accommodate beginners with minimal peripherals to the all-out enthusiast willing to invest heavily in his passion. Win -- win for everyone.

I find that when i can get a beginner to pop onto Teamspeak, i can turn them from 'frustrated about to chuck the game' guy to the 'shooting down some unsuspecting player' guy in under an hour usually.
    We need to implement something that forces if not severely guides these newcomers to the ATAG forum and the ATAG teamspeak..with Direct links or even missions that go over all that lovely WIKI planes info so that players arent like "wtf why dont my brakes work on this piece of shit spitfire" just like i did. PLUS choosing planes and loadouts etc is completly counter intuitive there needs to be a video made for all of this shit that yopu have to watch before you can install Team fusion Mods. or atleased put the video in with the mod ..Imagine the newcomers download the mod and he watches the vid, the video tells him how to make planes how to get into multiplayer, what servers are for what, visibility settings, graphical bs, controls basics and understanding, forum plane wikis, the teamspeak they need to be in(even no mic), ETC ETC ETC we could make something like this and im sure it would ease the pain for newcomers and we could get a increase. Also, i was a lame arcader thinking i was cool in my jet in battlefield 3 ... now with the help of these forums and always being on TS i can shoot down the best of them.........................................somet imes.

PS; snapper is correct as far as peripherals, i know plenty of very deadly pilots that dont use track ir nor $500 joysticks.. Kellem and Bear pilot to name a few
    Last edited by rollingstoned; Jul-11-2013 at 17:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Done the Amazon thing on both sites.

As many have said this is for simmers not gamers. Gamers play a game, strip it of its content and move on to the next one. Flight sims are different, especially if you play on line, because the sorties are always different even for repeat missions and the attraction is pitting yourself against real people.

Best source of new players is old players, those that abandoned CoD when it was first released, those that are in other combat and flight sims. Also new and perhaps younger guys that didn't experience the initial CoD failures.

Best method? Word of mouth, chat, facebook, etc, i.e. social media which is where people go these days to find out what's what. Also go to those gaming and sim sites where CoD reviews were bad, like SimHQ etc, and start posting the good news.

Then start creating some new full switch servers or increase server on line capacity because we will need it. At the moment we have two very capable serious servers (ATAG and ACG) and apart form scenarios they are never both full but will quickly fill if many more people take it up.

So here's a question. Do you really just want more people buying and playing CoD or do you really want bigger player capacity servers and bigger scenarios and therefore perhaps need more players?
    klem
    http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.6 GHz / 12Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked /128Gb SSD + 256Gb SSD/ Corsair 750HXUK 750W PSU
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / 3 x AOC 27" e2752vq @ 1920x1080 in Nvidia "Surround" plus 23" 1920x1080 instruments display below/ TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro, MFG Crosswind Rudders / CH CM

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRedCloud View Post
    And as for advertising CloD, well as pointed out, many video enthusiast have put a LOT of time in their support here. Visual aids do more than many words will.
    Visually in STEAM il-2:CloD comunity page the game is well advertising, nice pictures and videos, even SU-26 airbatics and racing are show by users.
    But between this are many new users claiming post about game throubles (dont start, Laucher crash, josytick dont work...).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/63950

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

New content. I understand TF can only do so much at once, and fixing all thats broken first before rolling out new stuff is probably the best path, but I wouldnt expect to see many new guys to the sim until you get a new theater/planes. Until then its still just spits vs 109s over Manston and you can only do that so many times

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    New content. I understand TF can only do so much at once, and fixing all thats broken first before rolling out new stuff is probably the best path, but I wouldnt expect to see many new guys to the sim until you get a new theater/planes. Until then its still just spits vs 109s over Manston and you can only do that so many times
    I don't want to push this off topic but, as I see it, for new content 3D modelling (aircraft etc) is probably the most work. I think Maps are being looked at. So it would be a good idea if any 3D modellers not already in TF were to PM one of the TF guys like Bliss, Buzzsaw, etc to offer their services. It would be for the longer haul (1941, 1942, 109F, 109G, FW190, SpitV, Spit IX etc.) but the earlier it's started...

So don't bloat this thread on the subject, if you think you have the skills just PM one of the TF guys.
    klem
    http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.6 GHz / 12Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked /128Gb SSD + 256Gb SSD/ Corsair 750HXUK 750W PSU
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / 3 x AOC 27" e2752vq @ 1920x1080 in Nvidia "Surround" plus 23" 1920x1080 instruments display below/ TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro, MFG Crosswind Rudders / CH CM

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Hi Guys,
    Just a couple of thoughts.

I do not think that we can rely on additional sales of the raw product nor the addition of newcomers to CLOD to be the solution to increased CLOD participation online. I truly believe that CLOD has maxed out in the sales area.

I think that the existing volume is there as evidenced by the sudden surge of players (80+) when the first TF update arrived. It stayed that way for a couple of weeks then dwindled off to where it is now.

Notwithstanding the need for players to come to grips with the new more realistic engine management, flight model/performance changes (we will always lose some players who don't wish to become too involved with aircraft dynamics), and other overall improvements - but I think the need to provide more variables and challenges in mission types would go a long way to maintaining a larger interactive group pending the release of the next TF update.

I do know that Bliss is having a heck of a time getting mission-builders to get involved in the process and also to adhere to his guidelines to maintain server performance within the constraints STEAM/CLOD has in place at this time. I am guilty myself of trying to modify existing missions (which work well at home - and to me have some exciting moments) but I personally have difficulty with the script and also my involvement with TF is taking up a lot of my time.

If there are any mission builders out there that could get into making at least 4 additional mission types that can challenge both DF and Historic pilots, it would go a very long way to drawing back some clientelle and the next TF release should help to kick it over the top. Also, additional scripting Gurus could help by introducing new dynamics to new and existing missions.

Client interest/retention of existing players through mission variety coupled with TF changes I think is the key.

Cheers,
    Catseye

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

post deleted
    Last edited by No.401_Speed (YO-R); Nov-16-2016 at 10:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Catseye View Post
    If there are any mission builders out there that could get into making at least 4 additional mission types that can challenge both DF and Historic pilots,
    Is not possible add some "target of opportunity" in actual mission - and not informed localization in briefing?

Suggested here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ll=1#post37712

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-13-2013 at 21:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Excellent idea DNR, That of the squads night. It might encourage flyers to join a squad possibly too. Maybe it would have to be done on the overflow server, I don't know but I do know that it could be great training to coordinate staffels/squadrons in challenges or just knowing they are out there.
    In my unit we would spend half the training time practicing something and then the other half jumping in to the server to try it out in "reality" relatively speaking.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

post deleted
    Last edited by No.401_Speed (YO-R); Nov-16-2016 at 10:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Set up one day per week on the ATAG server to host a squadron flyoff. The server remains open to all, and the non-affiliated folks who jump in to fly just get added to the fog of war, so that over a twenty-four hour period each squadron can jump on, do their thing against bombers, tank battalions, airports or just plain dogfight with your adversary, then tally the score. Winners get bragging rights and off you go the next week. Difference scenario each week to keep it interesting.
    But wouldn't that allow a competing squadron to fly at the same time and destroy all the targets first so the 'up' squadron have trouble finding ways to get scores? Or maybe if a particular squad gets a bit too arrogant two or three competing squads fly for the other side and shoot them all down

EDIT: I misread it, I thought you were suggesting each squadron has a timed slot to get as much score as possible but I think you are suggesting every squad competes at the same time in a mission that lasts 24 hours. Hmm, as long as there is not a squad full of students or unemployed or retired pilots with nothing better to do than fly for 24 hours flat
    Last edited by Roblex; Jul-14-2013 at 12:05.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am still waiting for Player flown Bomber AI gunners to get fixed, but sadly from what I have gathered, it was hardcoded into the .exe to the lowest skill level. (1 - hits nothing)

This is separate from the AI Bombers which can have their AI gunner levels adjusted (normally 3 ish = avg). I do not need IL-2 gunners, but when an unskilled player pilot sits on six, matching speed and plinks both engines in the most horrible of bad aspect attacks on a bomber and the ai gunners never ever even plink the engine and never do, then the player ai gunners are broken. This is not disputed.

The British having the chain home and radio callouts and German useless gunners adding weight create a situation for flying bombers solo to be half the survivability of what it was in IL-2 full switch and mostly full switch.

If I flew primarily fighters the Team Fusion patches have done plenty to make Clod more in line with where it should have been on release, and I highly recommend it, and organized squadrons flying bomber formations with fighter cover is not so bad either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Well. I just came back from the Duxford airshow and met many whole Il21946 squads who said that the main thing keeping them away from CLOD is the LOD issue and before that was fixed they wouldnt even touch the game..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Kling View Post
    Well. I just came back from the Duxford airshow and met many whole Il21946 squads who said that the main thing keeping them away from CLOD is the LOD issue and before that was fixed they wouldnt even touch the game..
    I don't follow, They can't run it at high detail or spotting?

Glückliche sieben

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 5./JG27 Ziegler View Post
    I don't follow, They can't run it at high detail or spotting?
    Spotting aircraft is the problem.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast