Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IL2 CoD Keyboard Layout

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

IL2 CoD Keyboard Layout

Hey guys,

I've just taken the game up after finding the awesome MODs available here (previously would not run very well on my machine).

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good starting point for my keyboard layout? There are alot of controls available, and i dont know where to start with the key mappings.

Alternatively, would any kind person be willing to upload a copy of their own keyboard layout? I really just need a place to start.

Thanks!

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: IL2 CoD Keyboard Layout

Hi mate,

Unfortunately, the control inputs for each aircraft vary- that is some aircraft require many more controls than others. Also, all of us have different hardware, so some of the controls are mapped to joystick buttons or other control surfaces (pedals, even Ipads!).

The default mappings that ship with the game don't even provide you with everything to need to comfortable get most aircraft stared, and operating, let alone for combat situations.

It would be difficult, even impossible to provide you with something that is easily transferable.

So, here would be my 3-step suggestion to help you out;

1. Pick one aircraft that you want to focus on to begin with. Say, the Spitfire 1a 100 octane, or the 109 E1. (all of the online maps generally include these types, so you'll never be in the place where the aircraft you chose to learn on is not available).

2. Let us know here, so we can find tutorials or any online videos that already exists which can help show you the controls use, so you can map the ones you need/want

3. Get yourself on team speak, and jump into the ATAG TS room. As someone for help setting you up. People are helpful. We want more people to play this game, so no-one should turn you away or treat you poorly.

Does that help?

For the recrod, here are my mappings; (also perform the same functions on all other types of aircraft):

Radiator open/close - assigned to buttons on joystick
    Fuel Cock toggle - ctrl+f
    Properllor pitch up/down - assigned to buttons on joystick
    Flaps up/ down - assigned to buttons on joystick
    Magneto #1 on/off - 1
    Magneto #2 on/off - 2
    Engine ignition - I
    Landing gear up/down - G
    Open/close canopy - ctrl+space
    Gunsight illumination - ctrl+l
    Drop ordnance/ bombs - backspace

trim rudder left/right - left/right arrow keys
    trim elevator - up/down arrow keys

Field of view - delete, end & page down

Fire weapons - trigger on joystick
    Last edited by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P); Jul-19-2013 at 06:02.

3. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

This is not really a guide, but was created to help work out your own layout for keyboard commands:

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/...mmand-kit-v1-0 - NO LONGER VALID

DIRECT LINK TO FILES ON ATAG: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ile&fileid=265

Page: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...&downloadid=69

(updated link on April 20, 2017)
    Last edited by Marmus; Apr-20-2017 at 15:02.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the info guys,

Ive been having a go with the spitfire, and have begun mapping out the keys you listed. finding it much easier with these keys mapped than to try to use the clickable cockpit.

Any tutorials you could point me towards would be awesome. The realism settings are really making it tough! stalls and engine trouble everywhere.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Help to if you inform what kind of josytick you have, to allow people better suggest what map in joystick buttons, what map in keyboard, plus - as Philstyle say, the preferred plane.

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSake View Post
    Any tutorials you could point me towards would be awesome. The realism settings are really making it tough! stalls and engine trouble everywhere.
    I think Roblex has a tutorial someplace online (youtube video). I will try to find it.

Otherwise, I'll make one myself this weekend, talking through all the main necessary controls, and some suggestions for where to map them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi PaladinSake and welcome as the 3,446th member of this forum!

Your query is very timely since we're currently running another thread discussing how to encourage new players to try and fly Cliffs of Dover. A lot of game tweaks and fixes tend to be missed by longtime players since, having instituted them on our systems long ago, get taken for granted and overlooked. Seeing Cliffs of Dover through fresh eyes such as yours gives us invaluable feedback on how to make Clod more user- friendly.

It's great to see you getting some really helpful tips by some veteran players here on the forum. As you're experiencing, the strongest asset to Cliffs of Dover -- it's historically accurate modelling of the period aircraft -- also presents an extremely steep learning curve. Not only do the different types of aircraft have specific and different controls and engine management procedures.....even the different variants need to be operated differently! For instance, engine settings and operation that work well for the Spitfire 1a 100 octane in this sim will very likely cause the engine of the Spitfire 1 100 octane to overheat and fail! Historic? Yes! Frustrating? You bet! At least, at first. As you gain mastery over a model type and achieve your first victory over a human-flown enemy counterpart, I guarantee the rush of excitement and jubilation will be almost overwhelming!

I hope you join us on Teamspeak. Coincidentally the Spitfire 1a 100 octane is my preferred aircraft, so I'd be glad to fly some missions as your wingman where we can discuss the best settings to fly, what controls are most important to setup on your joystick, and a hundred other things as we fly along. I know many others that would likewise be glad to do the same. We're a friendly bunch, very laid back, and just want to have fun and shoot down other planes.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi PaladinSake,

I can recommend following youtube channels:

-Jean-François SIMON made tutorials mostly for the RAF side, covering almost everything you need now, his "Aircraft Aerodynamics" video should also help with the stalls.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jfsimon1981/videos

-If it will happen that you choose the "wrong side" there are great JG27 Farber's videos focusing on the Bf 109 operations.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/5jg27far...ndex=0&sort=dd

-Finally when it comes to the dogfight and maneuvers there is a great set of videos made by IRFC Requiem, there are made for Rise of Flight but some of them could be applied also in CLoD, but to less dramatic extent.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS?feature=watch

I think that Philstyle had some tutorials in his channel but I lost the link to it.
    ~S~

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the info. I'll have a better browse of those Youtube channels as soon as I get a chance to sit down and go through them properly. Time can be short in this household.

I have been playing with a couple of the spitfires (not sure which, they all seem pretty similar to me atm) but it is becoming apparent that my limited experience with fighter sims has been rather arcade, and the realism settings are giving me a huge amount of trouble. It is a battle just to get in the air, let alone trying any sort of combat.

I have a few questions, but please feel free to direct me to another section of the forum if this isn't the place.

What would be the best plane for newbies to learn in? Am I better off picking the plane I wish to master, and learn everything specific to that, or start in an easier plane and then adapt to the more difficult ones down the line? I am mainly a fan of the British planes, so that's where I am aiming. I have heard the spitfire 1a 100 octane referred to a bit, so how does this plane compare to others?

Are there any training missions, or tutorials available that can take me through the basics of flight using the realism settings? Not being a pilot I would like to start from scratch to make sure I fully understand what im doing. I found the single player training to be buggy and unhelpful.

I will try to dig out my headset and mic later this week so I can jump on TS and see if I can get some help from anyone who is available.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Hi PaladinSnake;

Got as far as getting airborne and climbing out in the Spitfire (1a 100oct)

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSake View Post
    What would be the best plane for newbies to learn in?

Am I better off picking the plane I wish to master, and learn everything specific to that, or start in an easier plane and then adapt to the more difficult ones down the line? I am mainly a fan of the British planes, so that's where I am aiming. I have heard the spitfire 1a 100 octane referred to a bit, so how does this plane compare to others?

I will try to dig out my headset and mic later this week so I can jump on TS and see if I can get some help from anyone who is available.
    Point 1 -I'm sure others will disagree, but I'd say the Hurri Rotol or Spit Ia, not the 100oct versions, at first. The 100octs have additional power from the emergency boost, buts this adds difficulty to the engine management, with time limits to remember and more attention required to keeping things cool. The extra power tails off around 15k feet, too, IIRC.

Point 2 - Yes, but see above. The Spit Ia 100oct is the one to choose for 15k ft and under. If you're planning to be a high flyer, you may be better with the IIa, but that again has the added complexity of emergency boost management.

Point 3 - Go for it. TS is the place to get yourself airborne and fighting with the minimum of fuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    I think Roblex has a tutorial someplace online (youtube video). I will try to find it.

Otherwise, I'll make one myself this weekend, talking through all the main necessary controls, and some suggestions for where to map them.
    I have only done one for the Blenheim and it was designed for pilots who know the basics of flying a British fighter but want to try a blenheim.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/63950/

It is based on my philosophy of 'Don't overcomplicate things by teaching them things they will never have to do' e.g. you will find many tutorials showing you how to switch your magnetos on but they will switch on by default as soon as you start the engine and you can stop your engine after landing by shutting off the fuel. Same goes for mixture; hardly anyone needs to adjust the mixture *ever*. The only time you might adjust the mixture is climbing to extreme alt, eg 30,000ft, and even then it is not 'vital'. You might also use it if very low on fuel far from home and trying to limp home at low revs but I don't know anyone that can truly say that reducing his mixture was the only thing that got him home.

Bear this in mind when you are watching the fighter tutorials and finding it a bit overwhelming before you have even started the engine! The reality is that in order to take off in a fighter you only need to know how to turn on the fuel, start the engine and wait for the engine to reach operating temperature then open the radiator(s). You don't need to turn on the magnetos, adjust the mixture or adjust the prop pitch as all are in the right place. Once off the ground you need to raise your undercarriage then possibly reduce the prop pitch a bit and set the trim controls. You can fly all day with fully open radiators but it will help to know how to close them a bit to reduce drag (the amount varies between aircraft) Yes there are things you can tweak all through the flight to get optimum performance but just get used to the mechanics of normal flight first then learn the fiddly bits later.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    528.14 MB

Thread is pretty old, however I did not wanted to create new one.

I am flying occasionally, but I do it with 109, 110, Stuka, Ju-88. Maybe Red side in some time (so I mapped boost cut out too).

I looked for 'universal' layout - did not found one. So, I took existing elongated template and did this:

Keyboard Template Elongated v1.0.png

And it is true, that it depends on joystick - mine is Extreme 3d Pro.

Some maping does not make sense for CloD - I was thinking also about other sims.

This way I have two config files - one fot direct governors like 109, other for constant speed proppelers like Stuka to have similar behaviour to increase/decrease proppeler rpm.

I can attach editable (*.odg file).
    Last edited by b0czek; Oct-03-2015 at 17:15.

15. Likes Bichu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by b0czek View Post
    I looked for 'universal' layout - did not found one. So, I took existing elongated template and did this:

Keyboard Template Elongated v1.0.png

And it is true, that it depends on joystick - mine is Extreme 3d Pro.

Some maping does not make sense for CloD - I was thinking also about other sims.
    Well, for CloD don't make sense use joystick buttons for map things like "bombs and rockets" - no plane fire rockets and bombs* is used only one time, during 1 or 2 seconds. :
    IMO - Joystick buttons is for control: vision and primary weapons (MG and cannons), and if possible primary engine controls.

* If player is dedicated bomber pilot, assign the button for release bombs associated with modifier, as "security".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

If realistic Spitfire simulation is your goal, this may help...

I have programmed the following commands into my keyboard in order to more closely simulate controller position and hand movements a Spitfire pilot would use: (No numerals are used) While not required, you may wish to set up a /CLoD/ Options/ Controls/ Save As profile in the game for these keys.

CloD does not display a start switch. In the Spitfire, the start switch is on the panel, just above the fuel cock. So, I startup with the "Home" key just above the "End" (Fuel Cock) key instead of the default "I".
    Close canopy/hatch door-Numpad-9
    Open canopy/hatch door-Numpad-3
    Flaps up-F3
    Flaps Down-R
    Radiator Open-F
    Radiator Close-V
    Gunsight Illumination-F5
    Decrease Primary Illumination-M
    Increase Primary Illumination-Comma
    Decrease Secondary Illumination-Period
    Increase Secondary Illumination-Slash
    Raise Undercarriage-Numpad-8 (Manually-Alt Numpad-8)
    Lower Undercarriage-Numpad-2 (Manually-Alt Numpad-2)
    Engage Under carriage emergency system-CTL Numpad decimal point)
    Full Wheel Brakes-B (Try to assign this to a joystick index finger push button)
    Decrease Sight distance-CTL Underscore (_)
    Increase sight distance-CTL Equals (=)
    Adjust sight Left-Open bracket ([)
    Adjust sight right-Close bracket(])
    Magneto 1-Q
    Magneto 2-W
    Fuel cock #1 Toggle-End (usually between delete and Page down)

Directional Gyro decrease-Semicolon
    Directional Gyro increase-Quote
    Course setter decrease-right (Right arrow key)
    Course setter increase-Left (Left arrow key)
    Field off view 30-Numpad-4
    Field off view 70-Numpad-5
    Field off view 90-Numpad-6
    Whatever you use for "bail-out", I recommend you add a modifier (CTR, ALT or Shift) so that two hands are required and inadvertant bail out is impossible. I prefer Ctrl Numpad - Minus (-) (Easy to find... Hard to forget)

To keep all this straight, try little stickers on your keys. For around $15 US online, you can even get a separate thin keyboard just for CLoD to velcro under and in front of your monitor like a control panel. Multiple USB keyboards work just fine.
    Last edited by Baffin; Oct-07-2015 at 09:10.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

18. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

To be fair this commands has only usage for "what if" (YT videos):

Magneto 1-Q
    Magneto 2-W
    Switch magnetos in CloD has no practical use (unless to turn OFF engine in G.50 due bug in this plane), the "magical" E turn ON the magneto switch's (turn OFF and ON if you turn ON first).

I enjoy simulate procedures, but hate fool "what if" - like the weapons release cover in DCS Mig-21.

CloD "complex" engine startup is resume in: open the fuel cock and press "E"...

Anyway, notice that Luftwaffe planes use different method (keys) to switch magnetos than British planes (sequential x toggle).

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    528.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    If realistic Spitfire simulation is your goal, this may help...

I have programmed the following commands into my keyboard in order to more closely simulate controller position and hand movements a Spitfire pilot would use: (No numerals are used) While not required, you may wish to set up a /CLoD/ Options/ Controls/ Save As profile in the game for these keys.
    Wow!
    This is very different approach - very interesting.
    My goal was very different - to have one-for-all solution.

1lokos - come on, magnetos is a must...
    Don't you wear silk scarf while "flying" CloD?

21. Likes Kendy for the State liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by b0czek View Post
    Wow!
    1lokos - come on, magnetos is a must...
    Agree, but only if has real use... not this "what if".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Agree, but only if has real use... not this "what if".
    One day, we'll get to it: http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/479

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    233.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marmus View Post
    This is not really a guide, but was created to help work out your own layout for keyboard commands:

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/...mmand-kit-v1-0
    The above link seems to be dead. Are there any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Antz View Post
    The above link seems to be dead. Are there any other suggestions?
    download section of this forum? I think that what you are looking for is there for download
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ile&fileid=265
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    download section of this forum? I think that what you are looking for is there for download
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ile&fileid=265
    Thanks Stormrider. I updated my original post above (#3) to include the updated link location. Airwarfare.com no longer exists.

Page with explanation of files: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...&downloadid=69
    Last edited by Marmus; Apr-20-2017 at 15:02.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

this is what i've been looking for ...Thanks !

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.52 MB

DIRECT LINK TO FILES ON ATAG: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ile&fileid=265

Thanks for this

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.23 MB

Thanks Stormrider. I updated my original post above (#3) to include the updated link location. Airwarfare.com no longer exists.

Page with explanation of files: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...&downloadid=69
    Thank you for posting the link!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I guess I have to post something to get a download. Just got CLOD (normally CFS3 or BMS Falcon player) so looking for possible set ups.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    284.77 MB

Hello,

Thank You Very Much for the Link! Will be quite helpful as I begin a CloD career.

Mike

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.27 GB

thanks

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.20 MB

hello

34. Likes farley liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Hello flourizz.

Welcome to the ATAG forum.

Did you say hello in this thread because you need help with the keyboard layout? If you need help let us know what it is.

If you just wanted to say "Hello" then welcome to the party.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

36. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast