Thread: FOV control - Alternatives beyond "head track"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

FOV control - Alternatives beyond "head track"

Perhaps useful to new (to simulation) players:

That's is: You dont have TrackIR, or webcam/wiimote and D.I.Y. skill to set your own headtrack (Freetrack, FreetrackNoIR...).

The default FOV (field of view) control system in il-2:CloD - same of il-2:1946 is crude and restrictive (IMO).

PAN: You press your joystick POV HAT Right/Left/ and you viewing angle move ~25 degree and stay in this position when the pressure on POV HAT is released,
    press again, move more 25 degree... etc until reach end o allowed field of view. Some for Up/Down and same to return to center.

You can reduce this workload mapping a joystick button to reset the view (look front), instead use HAT backward.

The CloD GUI (somewhat incomplete, criticized by many...) have nice features, its various categories allow you to map functions - from different categories - in the same button/key,
    so you can use one button/key to reset view (to front) and at the same time set FOV in 70 degrees, for example.

Other nice feature is create create copy of commands, that's mean have the same function in various buttons/keys (some suitable for a certain plane, some for another, ie PP control for 109 inverted relative to Spit).

SNAP: You press your joystick POV HAT right /left/up/down and you viewing angle move 90 degrees and return to center if you release pressure on POV HAT, or move more 90 degrees if you release and press again fast.

You can alernate between these two FOV control methods with F9. But if you dont have skill with fingers like a Korean Starcraft player you are "blind".

Beyond control FOV with HAT you can control this with mouse - assuming you have skill with the left hand (or vice versa if you're left-handed),
    since usually you use this hand to control engine power, prop pitch, radiators, etc.

If you have ability to control mouse with both hands, you can add some vital commands in mouse buttons, ie engine power +, engine power-.

A improved to this method is map this "mouse view" to your HOTAS throttle mini-stick or HAT - if allowed - using the manufacturer software (ie. X-52).

Players with basic joystick without manufacturer software can use JoyToKey to transform HAT movements in mouse movements and control FOV in similar way.

Above setting the HAT UP to move mouse cursor Up, with speed of "85" - aceleration of 50 at end of movement (optional), and at the same time pressing
    the mouse whell button - necessary to momentary allow mouse move POV in game (due the clickable cockpit feature) and to hide mouse cursor.

This, more a button to reset view/look front allow (IMO) a improved FOV control over game default.

Combining JoyToKey camera moves and the for "Hold to Adjust Field of View" you can obtain certain "6DOF" on cockpit,
    e.g. lean to side in take off or landing, look at P-8 Compass...

JoyToKey is too a keymapper, allow up to 16 profiles, with basic macros ability. You can use to set one joystick button to alternate between FOV 30/70/90 degrees.

NewView - Since IL-2 early days the Russian guys use a software that "emulated" TrackIR movements with HAT (this mater deserve a dedicated topic).

Edit. With TF 4.0 patch JoyToKey is no longer need for ZOOM. Set keys/buttons for "Adjust FOV +, Adjust FOV -", in Controls > Camera.

Notice that if you set in CLoD shortcut to "Run as Administrator" is need do the same on JoyToKey, or the move dont move over game screen.

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Dec-14-2014 at 18:28.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Re: FOV control - Alternatives beyond "head track"

hey, don't mind me if I bump this.

i stumbled upon this and as a hat switch user, I wouldn't mind figuring out how to make the head movement go FASTER. i'm comfortable using hat switches but I wouldn't mind having everything be a bit snappier. As of right now I have both "analog acceleration" and "adjust mouse cursor speed" to max setting and it's hardly faster than stock clod. thoughts?

E: Actually on second thought it's not the program's problem. Rather it's CLOD itself. Even when I use the mouse to pan around, the speed is severely limited. I see people on youtube with trackIR set ups who can snap to look backwards REALLY fast and then snap back forward REALLY fast, but I don't have that kind of responsiveness. I wouldn't mind have it though. Is there a way to have the cursor move faster in clod itself?
    Last edited by Incog; Apr-25-2014 at 04:47.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Incog View Post

i stumbled upon this and as a hat switch user, I wouldn't mind figuring out how to make the head movement go FASTER. i'm comfortable using hat switches but I wouldn't mind having everything be a bit snappier. As of right now I have both "analog acceleration" and "adjust mouse cursor speed" to max setting and it's hardly faster than stock clod. thoughts?

E: Actually on second thought it's not the program's problem. Rather it's CLOD itself. Even when I use the mouse to pan around, the speed is severely limited. I see people on youtube with trackIR set ups who can snap to look backwards REALLY fast and then snap back forward REALLY fast, but I don't have that kind of responsiveness. I wouldn't mind have it though. Is there a way to have the cursor move faster in clod itself?
    This link might help you with regards the cursor mouse speed,I'm using a logitech track ball to pan around the cockpit.
    My joystick is a MSFF2, using the hat switch to cycle the near and far view.
    http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=27665

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Incog View Post

Try adjust mouse speed in Conf.ini

Default is 1.0

Code:
    [rts_mouse]
    SensitivityX=1.80  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    SensitivityY=1.80  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    SensitivityZ=1.0
    Invert=0
    SwapButtons = 0
    If you use too fast may appear graphical glitches...

Sokol1

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

thanks gyuys, will try these fixes