Thread: CH Products Pro Throttle Resistance Mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

CH Products Pro Throttle Resistance Mod

I bought a Ch Products Pro Throttle a few weeks back....I wanted one for a while as they looked very no frills and good quality..right up my street...Anyways apart from the fact there are no pots on it (which is a major big bug bear to me when you have a throttle of that quality) the main problem with it was its loose throttle slider....I would be in a dogfight and then realise that I was only on half throttle as the resistance in the throttle movement was so slack I wouldn't even feel it sliding back especially when my mind was preoccupied in a fight...I couldn't find a fix for this on the internet anywhere although I did find forums where folks had complained about this problem.

pro_throttle.jpg

So I decided to strip it and have a crack at getting some resistance in there which I did successfully by adding 2 thin strips of sticky backed velcro into the slider.

The interior of these throttles is suprisingly basic and so this mod should not be a big problem for anyone who could wire a household plug.

Here is a break down for those that want to do it....:

A Good Tips: Firstly you may want to use your phone camera to get shots inside the unit as you take it apart so you have reference when you put it back together. I tend to do this these days with anything I take apart for the first time , especially electronic stuff.

Also, its a good idea to get a dish or something to put screws and small parts into so you are not losing them around your work area or accidently brushing them onto your floor.

1) Take off the 4 rubber gromets from each corner of the underside of the base with a small flat screwdriver.

2) Unscrew the 4 screws from each corner and take the bottom off the unit.

3) Unscrew the 6 screws that hold the slider cover being carefull not to damage any of the wiring.

4) Gently pull off the potentiometer throttle paying attention to the small piece of plastic that is friction stuck to the underneath of the arm. This should slot back between the 2 uprights at the one end and acts as a resistance to the pot action.

5) Unscrew the 2 screws on the centre of the slider which attach the grip on the other side.

6) Cut 2 strips of sticky back velcro. IMPORTANT you only use the fluffy (loop) side and not the rough (hook) side. The pieces should be around 6cm by 1cm.

7) Gently pull the slider away from the base keeping all the wires intact. Secure the 2 pieces of velco either side of the slider and between the 4 slider skates so that when the unit is put back together these 2 will be on the top of the slider causing friction with the base top (as in the image below). Push the velcro down especially around the edges. You do not want any of the sticky on the Velcro to come into contact with the underside of the top body housing when compressed.

8) Screw the unit back together in reverse to the way it was taken apart. Make sure that the plastic piece resistance block that goes under the throttle pot lever is secured between the 2 uprights at the end of the push fit top. The pot and lever is a pushfit and will be secured by the halves of the unit when it is put together.

This mod worked for me and added just enough friction to the unit to keep it from moving unless I consciously moved it myself. You do not want it to jam or be too stiff. You could of course add more of less Velcro to create more or less resistance as preferred.

Hope this is of use to someone...~S~

...Lew...

Update - I have had this mod for over 2 years on my CH Products Pro Throttle with no noticeable negative difference in the performance. The mod seems to be as bullet proof as the throttle itself.
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Oct-21-2017 at 07:42.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

2. Likes flocon, Dauntless, rel4y, farley, fury1ord liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: CH Products Pro Throttle Resistance Mod

I registered here just to say thanks for that very easy mod. The loose friction was always something I didn't like with that throttle. Now it's perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Wow....Someone saw my post!....Big Thanks flexy123 for registering and the thanks....If it helps only one person then it was worth it to share it.....~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Nice Lewis, my biggest beef with the throttle as well. Mine is less than 3 months old so I'll have to get over killing the warranty

Now, what I'd love to do is mod it to where it moves over an arc like the warthog or x55 but that would be quite a bit of work.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Wow....Someone saw my post!....Big Thanks flexy123 for registering and the thanks....If it helps only one person then it was worth it to share it.....~S~
    It certainly is worth it! I'm very grateful that you took the time to post the details.

This is a superb modification to the CH throttle, taking it from a pretty unpleasant sliding action to a very nice, smooth resistance. I was able to tune the resistance by altering the WIDTH of the Velcro strip rather than the length; make it too wide and it will be hard to slide without moving the entire unit. I kept resistance slightly stiff, and used Velcro to secure the throttle to the desk. I love Velcro!

If you don't mind, I'd like to post a link to your mod on other forums.

8. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to post a link to your mod on other forums.
    Thanks for the positive feedback...and of course please share it with as many folks and forums as you wish...~S~

and...

Welcome to the community and forums Zakalwe....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Zakalwe Fan of Mr Banks by any chance?

By the way, if anyone needs replacement HAT switches (the main group of three, plus mousestick - all on a single board) for a CH throttle, drop me a PM. I've got a spare kicking around here somewhere.

FS~Valisk 'Val' FY-V COUPE DES CLUBS CHAMPIONS EUROPÉENS VAINQUERS SIX FOIS
    Rome. London. Paris. Rome. Istanbul. Madrid.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

11. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Chaps! Great forum by the way. I'm an old Rowan's Battle of Britain flyer now returning to the air after a break of far too many years. Good to be back

ATAG_Lewis: The Velcro mod has transformed the throttle! I've been using it daily since my first post on this thread and it's maintained the same smooth, even resistance. Love it.

Valisk_61: How did you guess? Someone bagged Zakalwe for Elite: Dangerous though. Disaster! I've had to resort to one of those sarcastic ship Mind names instead....'GCU Object Lesson' it is then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

If you come from a Battle of Britain game already then this should be right up your street....This is simply the best Battle of Britain sim in the history of Battle of Britain sims...hehe...Any questions then fire away in the forums...All in the name of fun..~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

If you come from a Battle of Britain game already then this should be right up your street....This is simply the best Battle of Britain sim in the history of Battle of Britain sims...
    As a member of Team Fusion, I appreciate your vote of confidence, and certainly, CoD has much better graphics and flight model... but our AI routines are not up to the standard of the modded version of Rowan's BoB, and some the campaigns in that game were also very good.

But we are hoping to make improvements in the upcoming patches.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Already extremely impressed with the Cliff of Dover mods. It's a jaw-dropping game. Rowan's BOB has a special X factor that's hard to define though. I was having AI dogfights 10 years ago that have yet to be matched in any sim. How the Hell did they do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
    Already extremely impressed with the Cliff of Dover mods. It's a jaw-dropping game. Rowan's BOB has a special X factor that's hard to define though. I was having AI dogfights 10 years ago that have yet to be matched in any sim. How the Hell did they do it?
    They spent the time to create elaborate and realistic AI routines.

Which we hope to do at some point for CoD.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Dinosaur post but if you want to increase the CH stick stiffness try this mod. Been using it for yonks

The original idea of this mod actually came from a Russian forum where a creative Russian actually used Condom err retaining bands \:\) I thought standard Rubber bands might be just as good. After one failure (detailed below) the mod has performed flawlessly for over 3 months with no further failures.
    No additional loads are placed on the stick as the rubber bands are effectively working on themselves.

The one area I think is a poor in the CH stick is too much throw and weak springs.
    This simple mod transforms the feel of the stick. In flight it also seems to dramatically smoothen or damp the mini CH induced PIO's Its a keeper for me. You now can genuinely feel stick pressure and trimming is really required. In the past out of trim stick forces were so low trimming was perhaps a little academic.
    I might need to modify the CH programming to increase Trim rate per blip.

For those who know how Stiff the cougar is and how slack the CH stick is the result is about midway between and very very nice.

Structurally theres not to much that can wrong as no extra pressure is placed on the stick components. The extra force is simply between the Spring attachment points and in effect it is working against itself.

The mod takes about 5mins total to complete.

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
    1 small Phillips head Screwdriver
    1 small Flat screwdriver (to lever off rubber feet)
    2 Elastic bands of suitable dimension or 2 O rings (3-4cm diam)

METHOD
    1. Place the Stick upside down between your legs.
    2. Remove rubber feet which use a small amount of Contact adhesive
    3. Remove 4 screws that were hidden under the rubber feet.
    4. Remove 4 inner screws
    6. Remove base.
    7. Put elastic bands around the Spring holders for both axes.
    8. Reassemble.
    9. Enjoy your stiffer stick.

First Mod attempt

Stickmodc.jpg

First update to the mod kit due fatigue failure of aileron rubber band.
    Post crash investigation revealed that initial routing of rubber bands as shown in first images in earlier posts allows the band to rub on the plastic central support as the spring extends and retracts.

To solve this problem I used 2 rubber bands (dual redundancy to enable "Fail Passive" operation . In addition re routing the bands such that they are no longer routed behind the Spring support arm See images below.

To do this simply deflect the spring, place one end of the band over the spring support as in "A" then guide the straight portion of the band immediately over the top of the spring. Then deflect the spring in the opposite direction and drop the other end of the band over the spring support post. The band is now running directly down both sides of the spring and not behind the centre support structure as in "B" and "C" The result is no more rubbing, and hopefully longer life.

Final Mod
    chmod3a.jpg

I tried some O rings but these didn't have enough give. Unless some very elastic O rings can be found the humble elastic band is the best shot. I ended up using those shown below 75c for a lot of spares. These work well doubled up.
    Also this technique is pretty adjustable to your own stick force taste. To vary the spring tension just use bigger/smaller/fewer rubber bands. You can also vary the tension between axes, something not available to non"IvanKUberRubberbandChStick" modded sticks. In my case at the moment Pitch is about twice as stiff as and Roll.
    Last edited by Ivank; Oct-26-2017 at 16:51.

19. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Lewis - I have a different CH Pro Throttle issue, that someone might be able to advise me on. My case is throttle drift. No matter how I set contol sensitivity it tends to drift upwards in RPM when set all the way closed (retared) or when in any other position. In game I have to keep adjusting throttle position to retard RPM as it creeps up. The throttle position itself does not seem to be controlling unless to stop the drift condition by retarding.

Is there a defect in the throttle or is there something in control setting I should be doing differently? Is there a better throttle to purchase without the resistance issue addressed by this thread or the problem I am having?

I welcome any ideas, or suggestions
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Hey DOWNEAST,

Is there a chance that you have the throttle set to more than one axis or key binding or something similar?
    I know that in DCS if an axis is also bound to a key then the throttle or stick or whatever can bounce around.

Your problem doesn't sound quite like this, but nothing lost by checking i guess.

Good luck with it.

I have the CH throttle and fighterstick, and have not experienced throttle creep at all (but the stick has gone really wonky when bound to a key).
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Red face Re: CH Products Pro Throttle Resistance Mod

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Hey DOWNEAST,

Is there a chance that you have the throttle set to more than one axis or key binding or something similar?
    I know that in DCS if an axis is also bound to a key then the throttle or stick or whatever can bounce around.

Your problem doesn't sound quite like this, but nothing lost by checking i guess.

Good luck with it.

I have the CH throttle and fighterstick, and have not experienced throttle creep at all (but the stick has gone really wonky when bound to a key).
    Thanks Farley, I will check.
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

23. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DOWNEAST View Post
    Lewis - I have a different CH Pro Throttle issue, that someone might be able to advise me on. My case is throttle drift. No matter how I set contol sensitivity it tends to drift upwards in RPM when set all the way closed (retared) or when in any other position. In game I have to keep adjusting throttle position to retard RPM as it creeps up. The throttle position itself does not seem to be controlling unless to stop the drift condition by retarding.
    CH Products are indeed durable - My 1998 CH F-16 Combatstick still working (in meantime modernized with USB controller) - and use the best potentiometer used by josytick industry (what with today cheap contactless sensors available mean little), but has a major flaw:

Their potentiometer wires is not welded (solder) in potentiometer tabs but use a kind of crimped plug.

A "internet legend" say that this is for allow users replace their potenciometer when need, as potentiomter worn down with use, without need use solder iron, and so avoid the risk of burn their fingers and sue CH in "one million" dollar in USA market.

Occur that this tab connector can develop bad contact, what make the potentiometer signal intermittent and cause issues like you describe.

You can can open the throttle base, are four Philips screws under rubber pad - if throttle are not under warranty, was open invalidate the warranty*, and with pliers press that tabs for improve their contact, or at your own risk apply solder there.

And since the base is already open remove the pot' - is just fitted, and clean inside with contact cleaner spray or wash with Isopropyl alcohol.

* If throttle are under warranty contact CH, they could will send new pot for you, or if not could sell a replacement - is the only brand which regularly provides replacement.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-14-2017 at 10:20.

25. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    CH Products are indeed durable - My 1998 CH F-16 Combatstick still working (in meantime modernized with USB controller) - and use the best potentiometer used by josytick industry (what with today cheap contactless sensors available mean little), but has a major flaw:

Their potentiometer wires is not welded (solder) in potentiometer tabs but use a kind of crimped plug.

A "internet legend" say that this is for allow users replace their potenciometer when need, as potentiomter worn down with use, without need use solder iron, and so avoid the risk of burn their fingers and sue CH in "one million" dollar in USA market.

Occur that this tab connector can develop bad contact, what make the potentiometer signal intermittent and cause issues like you describe.

You can can open the throttle base, are four Philips screws under rubber pad - if throttle are not under warranty, was open invalidate the warranty*, and with pliers press that tabs for improve their contact, or at your own risk apply solder there.

And since the base is already open remove the pot' - is just fitted, and clean inside with contact cleaner spray or wash with Isopropyl alcohol.

* If throttle are under warranty contact CH, they could will send new pot for you, or if not could sell a replacement - is the only brand which regularly provides replacement.
    Thanks for your suggestions. Your help on this is one of several times you have assisted me, and it is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DOWNEAST View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. Your help on this is one of several times you have assisted me, and it is appreciated
    1Lokos - It worked. I breached the warrantee and opend the Pro Throttle and found the center pot connection quite loose. I crimped it tight with long nose pliers and it solved the creep issue. While I had the throttle opened I made the slider plate resistance modification (velcro) suggested by Lewis in the above thread. Works like a charm now.

Thanks to you both, very happy again with my CH throttle

28. Likes farley, ATAG_Lewis, Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    989.92 MB

Finally got my hands on sticky backed velcro.
    Well, what can I say? Such simple thing made my CH Pro Throttle much more consistent and reliable during firefight!

ATAG_Lewis, thank you for sharing with us with this small but much needed upgrade!
    No. 303 RF-H (P3939) - Sgt Stefan Wójtowicz

Monitor: Eizo EV2455 24.1" CPU: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.3 Ghz Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING RAM: DDR4 Corsair 16GB 3200MHz Vengeance GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock 8GB HDD: WD 1TB Blue SSD: GOODRAM 240GB Iridium PRO PSU: Corsair Corsair RM550X 550W Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Throttle: CH Pro Throttle Rudder: Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals Tracking: TrackIR 5 + LaserClip

30. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This mod article is ancient, but invaluable! I have a CH Flight Sim Yoke and Pro Pedals that I have had for about 17 years, and other than a broken throttle handle, they both work great. 17 years is a long time! This lead me to recently purchase a new CH Combatstick and Pro Throttle. CH K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) philosophy results in durable and reliable products. When I received the Combatstick and Pro Throttle, I was unhappy with the loose and floppy resistance of the throttle. But I had anticipated this because I read many reviews and this article! The reviews made me aware that CH hasn't modified (some would say improved) their designs over the years. This was encouraging to me. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" This article made me aware that the biggest shortcoming (the throttle resistance) could easily be overcome!

The fix for this throttle works great and was simple! Even 4/6 into a 6 pack of beer! (Craft beer...not training beer) I opened up the throttle, installed the Velcro strips and put it back together in less than 10 minutes.

Hopefully you are still around and monitoring to receive my thanks for bringing this simple fix to light. It works!!

SFC_Scott

32. Likes MrSteven, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

The CH gear holds up pretty well. I’ve had my throttle quadrant and combat stick for around 15 years and still use them as backup. I recently used the elastic band trick on the Combat stick while my TM Warthog HOTAS was giving me grief. Worked a teat.
    ATAG_Bubba