Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to adjust joystick curves on ANY joystick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Lightbulb How to adjust joystick curves on ANY joystick

Here's how to adjust joystick curves in CloD (this will work on any joystick):

you'll need joystickcurves by xedoc (transfers axis from a physical device to any virtual joystick device, allowing you to change them in the process) and Vjoy(which creates a virtual joystick for you)

1.) You have 2 options for VJoy

Recommended - vjoy from headsoft - signed driver
    http://www.xedocproject.com/headsoft_vjoy_1_2.exe

Alternative - vjoy unsigned, requires test mode and leaves TEST MODE WATERMARK - can be removed with WCP Watermark editor or TCP-Z Watermark remove
    http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/sit...ll/72-download

Alternative mirror old vjoy link (unsigned) : http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/sf...4_I011112.exe/

install Vjoy (might require you entering Windows test mode due to an unsigned driver) - run vJoyConf.exe and configure one device. ( For this example I created one with just the roll axis because that's the one i needed to change). In reality you will probably want to port 3 and thus create 3 axes - roll,pitch,yaw

All Joystick Devices have a unique ID. Clod recognizes the joystick thanks to this ID. Installing a virtual device will shift the ID order. Vjoy should have ID "0" (that's a valid default ID that clod will use). Your old joystick will now have ID "1". In the case you have multiple devices the ID's might be different, make sure you know what id your joystick has (http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/JoyIDs/)

What that means is CloD will no longer recognize your old Joystick binds; to make sure it recognizes them again you must change all of your joystick ID's in confuser.ini (found in C:\Users\User\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD) from "Joystick" to "Joystick1" (Simple scenario where you only have one joystick). Alternatively to whatever your old ID was to what the new ID is. This goes for everything including buttons you have assigned so do a "Find and Replace All"

Legend:

Joystick = ID0
    Joystick1 = ID1
    Joystick2 = ID2

etc

2.) get Joycurves by Xedoc: http://www.xedocproject.com/joystickcurves/setup.exe

Note: As of 27/02/2014 version 0.0.6.10 is stable and should be running fine. Joycurves is a clickonce application, which means it's put in user/appdata/apps .... you won't find the launcher, just search for it from your windows taskbar and send to desktop as shortcut.

the profiles,dll's etc. are all stored somewhere here: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0

try to avoid installing multiple versions of joycurves as removing them might be a pain - you'll have to search through the entries in the above path

Run Joystick Curves - During installation curves will call the mothership to download the latest version.

curves-install.jpg

Transfer The Roll axis from physical joystick to your virtual one. Make sure to tick the right boxes when right clicking the diagram on the right so you can see both your physical and virtual device. Assigning yaw might be a bit tricky - Joycurves will often see it as something else. My CH Pro Pedals axis is seen as throttle for instance.

curves.jpg

When done, find the appropriate line (for whatever axis you want to use your virtual device with) in confuser.ini, and change "Joystick1" back to "Joystick" like this:

[HotKey pilotMove]
    Joystick1+AXE_Z=-1throttle
    Joystick1+AXE_Y=1elevator
    Joystick+AXE_X=1aileron <== This
    Joystick1+AXE_U=1rudder

This will make sure that Clod uses the Virtual Device(that gets its input from joycurves) exactly on the axis you need. The above is a simple example with one physical joystick, one virtual one and one axis being transferred.

Run CloD - make sure to set your sensitivity to 0 now that you're running your own curves.

Note:

-You will need to remap any keys if you used an application like JoytoKey for some of your buttons ( Side effect of introducing VJoy) - Untested: Changing Joystick ID's might work too if possible and could be less hassle.
    -Joystickcurves has to be running in the background for this to work, place a shortcut on your desktop.
    -Lastly - do explore the joycurves interface, right clicking on the diagram brings up a context menu that allows you to import/export/change context of curve to absolute/multiplier etc. Multiplier works well for linear adjustments, Absolute works well for non-linear adjustmens.

That's it! Happy flying!

P.S.: I posted this as a reply in the technical corner, but thought this could be useful for people to perhaps even find stickied? I've personally looked for a solution to this for over 6 months without avail.

EDIT: Fixed the links and added a short explanation..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hnbdgr; Jan-28-2015 at 08:39. Reason: Additional Explanation

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Re: How to adjust joystick curves on ANY joystick

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    (...) I posted this as a reply in the technical corner, but thought this could be useful for people to perhaps even find stickied? I've personally looked for a solution to this for over 6 months without avail.
    Agreed, deserves a stickie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

None of the links work. You have to post the full links without the '...' in the middle or at least make sure the hidden hyperlink is correct.

I also have no idea what these programs are trying to achieve which is why I was clicking on the links
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Red face Re: How to adjust joystick curves on ANY joystick

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    None of the links work. You have to post the full links without the '...' in the middle or at least make sure the hidden hyperlink is correct.

I also have no idea what these programs are trying to achieve which is why I was clicking on the links
    Mea culpa, in my defence google chrome was rendering the links correctly for me...? I've tried it in incognito and whoops! they were broken. Fixed it now!

Also I've added a line explaining what the software does. hope this is sufficient? Let me know if you've got any questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks.

Is it not possible to set basic curves in CloD itself? I was just going to look for it for my pedals. And thought there was a system to do so.....but was not sure.

(With my TM HOTAS i'm using curves from TARGET)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

It is possible to adjust the sensitivity on a linear basis. let's call it smoothing. from 0 to 1. but you cannot create a non-linear curve with finer response near the center and faster response near the edge. So no; you have to use proprietary software to adjust the curves on the driver level e.g. target or the solution above

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It is possible to adjust the sensitivity on a linear basis. let's call it smoothing. from 0 to 1. but you cannot create a non-linear curve with finer response near the center and faster response near the edge. So no; you have to use proprietary software to adjust the curves on the driver level e.g. target or the solution above
    Ok thanks mate. Thanks for the guide. I need this for my pedals..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    Agreed, deserves a stickie
    Done!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Brill! Thanks

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    757.71 MB

Seems cool, but in fact I was unable to make it works.
    I set a Vjoy and some curves for it. All run well in Joycurve, the green cross move as it should.

But I understood nothing at what you try to do when changing joystick numbers in confuser.
    Its like CoD never used my Vjoy whatever the number I put in confuser (at least i cannot see it in the CoD axes setup menu)
    I guess that you should see the input/output in CoD axes command menu exactly when you have adjusted it in the Joycurve software ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post
    I set a Vjoy and some curves for it. All run well in Joycurve, the green cross move as it should.

But I understood nothing at what you try to do when changing joystick numbers in confuser.
    Its like CoD never used my Vjoy whatever the number I put in confuser (at least i cannot see it in the CoD axes setup menu)
    I guess that you should see the input/output in CoD axes command menu exactly when you have adjusted it in the Joycurve software ?
    Hi Gix,

in joystickcurves do you see both crosses moving or just one? Both should be moving if everything is working properly.

About confuser.ini - when I first tried to make this work clod stopped recognizing my physical joystick - instead the JoystickID must have moved and my vjoy device was now device "0" or default. I only had the aileron axis enabled on vjoy so all i could get was the aileron movement in game. So I tried re-assigning all axis in the control options in game which sometimes bound the axis as joystick1 instead of joystick. So I swiftly swapped all the instances of joystick to joystick1 in clod confuser.ini and voila i got my all joystick back (now ID "1"). Then I just had to rename axis I wanted to use with vjoy back to "joystick" (joystick ID "0") and it all worked flawlessly!

The most difficult part was to get vjoy create the device and get it recognized by joystickcurves. If you find it doesn't work, try hard exiting joystick curves, configure a new vjoy device(make sure you only have one vjoy listed under usb controllers at any one time) and then run joystick curves. Both green (light and dark) crosses have to respond to your movement.

Setting up joystickcurves is also a bit tricky as you have to make sure your input matches the corresponding output. You have to right click the green joystick test area i think.

Let me know if this didn't help, I'll have a look later when I get home.
    Last edited by hnbdgr; Nov-02-2013 at 11:28.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    757.71 MB

Hi Gix,

in joystickcurves do you see both crosses moving or just one? Both should be moving if everything is working properly.

About confuser.ini - when I first tried to make this work clod stopped recognizing my physical joystick - instead the JoystickID must have moved and my vjoy device was now device "0" or default. I only had the aileron axis enabled on vjoy so all i could get was the aileron movement in game. So I tried re-assigning all axis in the control options in game which sometimes bound the axis as joystick1 instead of joystick. So I swiftly swapped all the instances of joystick to joystick1 in clod confuser.ini and voila i got my all joystick back (now ID "1"). Then I just had to rename axis I wanted to use with vjoy back to "joystick" (joystick ID "0") and it all worked flawlessly!

The most difficult part was to get vjoy create the device and get it recognized by joystickcurves. If you find it doesn't work, try hard exiting joystick curves, configure a new vjoy device(make sure you only have one vjoy listed under usb controllers at any one time) and then run joystick curves. Both green (light and dark) crosses have to respond to your movement.

Setting up joystickcurves is also a bit tricky as you have to make sure your input matches the corresponding output. You have to right click the green joystick test area i think.

Let me know if this didn't help, I'll have a look later when I get home.
    Hey,

Thx for your help.
    In fact all works well with Joysickcurves, both cross move and I am able to assign a virtual joystick to my FF2.
    Exactly like you, the virtual joy pick an existing number (N°1 or 2 for me I suppose).
    But when I launch CoD, I cant get the sliders moving whatever the joy number I put in confuser

May be my config is a little bit complex.
    What I get is :
    + Normal (without Vjoy):
    -Joystick (=Jostick0 ?) : Warhog throttle (it is also a virtual joystick emulate by "target" the Warhog software)
    -Joystick1 : Not recognize by CoD. I suppose its my real Warhog throttle device.
    -Joystick2 : My FF2
    -Joystick3 : Saitek rudder

+ With Vjoy enable:
    -Joystick (=Joystick0 ?) : Warhog throttle - no change
    -Joystick1 : Not recognize by CoD
    -Joystick2 : Not recognize by CoD
    -Joystick3 : My FF2
    -Joystick4 : Saitek rudder

As FF2 and Saitek were pushed to +1 joy number when VJoy enabled I thought Joy1 or 2 would be the virtual joy.
    CoD doesnt recognize any of them !

Well may be it comes from a conflict with the Warhog virtual joystick. I dunno.
    If I set the commands with Joy3, it works but the input/output sliders are perfectly synched which means no curve is activated.

Just confirm me you see your sliders moving according to your Joystickcurves adjustment ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Hi Gix,

have you been able to make this work in the end? Which version of Joycurves have you used? mine is running fine on 0.0.6.10

sorry for the enormous delay, I've given up flying for some months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Salute,

I've updated the description and tested everything with the latest version. Everything seems to work fine!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    757.71 MB

Hi Gix,

have you been able to make this work in the end? Which version of Joycurves have you used? mine is running fine on 0.0.6.10

sorry for the enormous delay, I've given up flying for some months.
    Hey,
    No I have given up with that.
    As I just changed my PC I will may be try again later, when all will be well set again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Hey Gix,

do let me know when you get your new setup and whether it works

Salute!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

this also import force feedback from joystick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

That's a good question! The answer is I don't have a clue I don't own a ff joystick so never had a chance to try it out. That would entirely depend on how the joystick FF receives its input. Is it generic or should it be increasing when the plane is flying faster etc.... Either way if you contact the developer Xedoc, he might give you an answer.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    757.71 MB

Sans titre.png

I tried again. Same result when trying with rudders this time. Whatever I do the vJoy doesnt move in joycurve window (of course I have checked the right clic options)
    May be I do somethig bad when configuring Vjoy despite I tried many things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Hi Gix, I will try to set my CH rudder pedals up tonight, I'll be honest I don't set them up yet as I use CH control manager for the axis.

One thing I'd recommend to try is to enable U/Slider and V/Dial/Slider2 as well on the Vjoy device. It is entirely likely that Vjoy will interpret one of those as a rudder instead of R/Rz/Rudder. Then go through all the different options under Axis for the Virtual device(Vjoy) in Joystick curves. One of them should be registering as the rudder even though it's not called yaw.

As mentioned above I will give it a try with the CH rudder and report results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Oh Another thing! ID#1 in JoystickIDswapper might be actually ID "0" in cliffs of dover. Joystick ID's in cliffs of dover begin with 0,1,2,3... etc.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    757.71 MB

Did again enabling U/Slider and V/Dial/Slider2 as well.
    Same result. I guess I tried all options possible for vjoy axis too.
    Will try with another comp to check may be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Hi Gix, That's very strange. I checked the CH pro rudder pedals just now, it did give me some trouble at first I will admit that, but I managed to set them up in the end:

Untitled-1.jpg

Look at the screenshot, I had to change the rudder axis to throttle - as that's what it was registering it as. And then I had to change the Vjoy Device to Slider1. Next step would be to find out what name to put in the conf file in order for clod to register slider1.... but so far so good.... can you give it a try?

also found a post on warthunder (in russian) and it seems a poster in there has definitely set up his saitek rudder as well...

http://forum.warthunder.ru/index.php?/topic/20465-pomosch-v-vybore-pedalei-cravneniia-prakticheski/page-3

hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Ok I've tested it further. Can confirm that this has worked for me and I have successfully set up ch pro pedals via joycurves+vjoy in game. As above, the trick was that the rudder pedals were picked up as "throttle" axis and vjoy best interpreted them on "slider1" axis. All I had to do then was to go in the confuser.ini and change the line that ties an axis to the rudder to the following:

Joystick+AXE_U=1rudder

How I figured slider1 was AXE_U: I assigned my 1st slider from the x52 throttle to a random function in game( rudder trim for instance). Then I exited the game, opened confuser.ini and looked at the value under rudder trim; it was:

Joystick2+AXE_U=1trimrudder

Note: Joystick2 means #ID3, Vjoy is #ID1 (clod ID "0") so no number follows.

I just copied Joystick2+AXE_U over to 1rudder and removed the "2" behind Joystick. I figured both the realx52 and the virtual vjoy device would have the same name for a slider and voila, worked like a charm.

Hope this approach will finally get it working for you gix!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    757.71 MB

Question Re: How to adjust joystick curves on ANY joystick

Same pb.
    I check your setting and many combinations.
    None works for me.
    I also update the vjoy driver without success. Have you seen there is 2.0 version.
    I never manage to have the light cross moving in JC window !
    It remains a mystery

I will try to reinstall JC after vjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Hmmm.. I'm really sorry gix, not sure why it's not working... Have you tried asking on the xedoc english forums? Xedoc monitors those, he might know the answer...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    292.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post

I tell you what has worked for me.

Configure your Joystick axis and buttons as normal with your physical joystick in the game CONTROL OPTIONS menu, save the configuration and name it as you want "foobar.ini" in the default directory C:\Users\..\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\

Once Joystick Curves and Vjoy is installed and working (I use Vjoy from http://headsoft.com.au) instead of editing the config file, go back to the game CONTROLS OPTIONS menu and load the "foobar.ini" file previously saved.

Now, in the game CONTROLS OPTIONS menu set up, select and click on the axis that you want to assign to your virtual joystick, a small window will appear that automatically detects and assigns the joystick number and axis which is moved at this precise moment.

You can not move your physical joystick axis to assign your virtual joystick axis, (probably your physical device will be detected first). You can override this by selecting the "Virtual test loop" feature locate at the botton of each Axis tab that you should have already created with Joystick Curves.

Go back to your desktop without closing the game, (Windows logo key + D), joystick curves and Vjoy must be running and working at this moment. Select Virtual axis test loop on the joystick curves axis that you want to assign to the game. You will see the light green cross moving in an endless loop, go back to your game CONTROLS MENU and the joystick number and axis of your virtual joystick must be detected and shown on the configuration window, repeat the process for each virtual joystick axis that you want to configure and save your configuration .ini file.

By default the last configuration file used is loaded when the game starts, if not, you can load it in the CONTROLS OPTIONS menu.

Sometimes, when you restart your computer, the order of the joystick numbers are changed. The JoyIDs program is showing the same order but the game just detects them in different order. Just repeat the steps again and save and load your .ini file, it doesnt take to much time once you are used to it.

Joystick curves really helps to fine tune your joystick axes, I hope this helps.
    Last edited by E69_Mezzer; Mar-27-2014 at 12:07.

28. Likes FTC_Shakespeade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Ok I recently got a MS Sidewinder Precision 2 and plugged it in, this bumped my number of controllers to 4 (X52, MSSP2, CHPRO throttle, VJOY). I had to do some experimenting and found out that changing the JOYID's didn't matter! There was a natural order Clod registered them as and that was it. You just have to find out what the order is.

Joystick
    Joystick1
    Joystick2
    Joystick3

I use all three in my setup now

check my confuser.ini: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ser.ini.hnbdgr

and the order of my devices is:

Joystick - Vjoy( joycurves: Aileron & Pitch linked from MSSP2 , Yaw from CH Pro Pedals)
    Joystick1 - MSSP2
    Joystick2 - CH Pro Pedals (L & R Braking only)
    Joystick3 - X52 Pro (Only use throttle unit now)

Order in JOYID doesn't have to be the same. It's a guessing game it seems but with a systematic approach you can get it working. The other hurdle is obviously trying to find associations in joycurves (for instance chpro pedals are interpreted as throttle etc.)

Either way hope this helps somebody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to revive this old thread but I have just started using it and have a problem.

I install vJoy under test mode and configure a joystick. I can use JoyCurves OK. When I remove test mode and restart I no longer have vJoy in JoyCurves and, in Device Manager, vJoy device has an exclamation mark against it and under Properties (General) I have the message:
    "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. .........."

Am I supposed to restart something for vJoy after startup or should it simply start itself? I don't recall missing any steps in the install.
    klem
    http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.6 GHz / 12Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked /128Gb SSD + 256Gb SSD/ Corsair 750HXUK 750W PSU
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / 3 x AOC 27" e2752vq @ 1920x1080 in Nvidia "Surround" plus 23" 1920x1080 instruments display below/ TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro, MFG Crosswind Rudders / CH CM

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 56RAF_klem View Post
    Sorry to revive this old thread but I have just started using it and have a problem.

I install vJoy under test mode and configure a joystick. I can use JoyCurves OK. When I remove test mode and restart I no longer have vJoy in JoyCurves and, in Device Manager, vJoy device has an exclamation mark against it and under Properties (General) I have the message:
    "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. .........."

Am I supposed to restart something for vJoy after startup or should it simply start itself? I don't recall missing any steps in the install.
    Hi Klem!

I'm afraid you have to leave test mode enabled. This is how I've been running it for over a year now. Possible solutions:

1.) find a different virtual joystick program that either has signed drivers or doesn't need to use them(doubtful though)
    2.) There is a utility that removes the test mode watermark in the lower right corner, see if you can google it. I'm not using it as I never even notice the test mode watermark anymore.

Small devs like the one behind vjoy simply won't pay microsoft license fees every year to have a driver out, that's the problem.

hope this helps..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast