Thread: (kb2670838)....nooooooo!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

(kb2670838)....nooooooo!!!!!

I've had to uninstall this (KB2670838) windows update 4 or 5 times now....I have Windows update set to remind me of updates but to let me decide when/if to install them....Every time I have installed updates I have made sure that every update I installed was NOT this particular update.....Then I fly for a few months....then my game starts crashing a few minutes into a session.....The first thing I check is my windows installed updates...and guess what....This bastard keeps slipping in when I haven't installed it...go figure!

So what am I doing wrong?....Is there a way to stop windows even asking me to install it?....Anyone else having this problem?...What are you boys doing to combat this?...

..distressed lew...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Nov-03-2013 at 17:41.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: (kb2670838)....nooooooo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    So what am I doing wrong?....Is there a way to stop windows even asking me to install it?....Anyone else having this problem?...What are you boys doing to combat this?...

..distressed lew...
    I know this is no help Lewis, but fwiw I have that windows update installed as well and it has never caused me an issue - the sim runs rock solid for me, except one time I was having a launcher crash but it was on a particular mission in a particular campaign in TF4. All others have been solid, however I so far only fly in single player, don't know if that makes difference for me or not...

By the way - you can set an individual update to " hide update", and you should not see it again - have you tried that? In windows update, right click on the update when it is offered to you, and select " hide update". Technically you should not see it again , so shouldn't accidently install it - I think.
    Last edited by dburne; Nov-03-2013 at 17:53.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I think if you have IE10 the update will be pushed to you.
    Stick with IE9

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Lew,

I haven't had a problem with the probem update coming back (yet!). However I always set my windows update to tell me updates are there and let me manually choose what to download and install. And every now and then this will be set back to the default (automatically download and install updates without asking or even informing me). I think that Microchump set some of their updates to reset this to default (its the only explanation I can come up with).

The other thing is that the problem update may be required before a newer update can be installed and rather than ask you windows simply reinstalls it.

Just my thoughts. If I'm off base somebody please correct me.

Cheers

GW

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

When I was having a problem with launcher.exe crashing on that one mission in that one campaign, I tried uninstalling this update. It then prompted me to reboot, when I did I found myself with IE 8, rather than 10 that I was running. Luckily I had a system restore from earlier in that day, restored it and all was back to normal.

Thankfully figured out it was that one mission , so I just skipped it and everything is fine once again.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Stick with IE9
    Ah...That makes sense....every time I uninstall the update I get a message in my IE saying 'Thank you for Using IE9'.....I'll try stick with it
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Isn't there an option in Windows Update to right-click a not-yet-installed update and say something like "do not show this update again"?
    At least in Vista there is...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Isn't there an option in Windows Update to right-click a not-yet-installed update and say something like "do not show this update again"?
    At least in Vista there is...
    There is, but IE10 brings it right back
    It's like a virus

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Rgrt DUI....I'll check that out...it would be a big help...~S~

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi.

Yep same here Lew, it crept back in a month or so ago for me with IE10. Drove me nuts for 2 weeks then i spotted the prob update and uninstalled (it uninstalls IE10 too) and all was fine again. Sneaky lil swine !

S!! Hub

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    There is, but IE10 brings it right back
    It's like a virus
    Matt...Are you saying I might have some kinda....some kinda...VIRUS????

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Stick with IE9
    Ah, that's why I'm clear of this - Firefox.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Matt...Are you saying I might have some kinda....some kinda...VIRUS????

that does not look like the work of virus but a bacteria...Yersinia pestis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    109.82 MB

Lew, you can go Google and input "Microsoft IE9", go to M$ website and (assuming you have Win 7) download IE9, English version 32 or 64 bits, (to download, not to install it yet). Then uninstall IE10, reboot, and install IE9 instead from the package you downloaded. I can't show you the link here to M$ website as I am Spanish, and M$ brings me the link to a Spanish version of IE9.

PD: or, get rid yourself of M$ IE crap and go for Mozilla or Chrome.

Good luck!
    Last edited by FAE_Cazador; Nov-04-2013 at 18:01.
    FAE_Cazador
    "E etan, e epitan"

www.escuadrilla-fae.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Rgrt Caz.....Gracias mi amigo...~S~

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Now I am curious about this whole update causing Cliffs to crash thing.
    What exactly is the reason this particular update, apparently related to IE10, causes the sim to crash on some systems?
    ( has not done it on mine to date). < knocking on wood>.
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

I'm another one of the lucky ones where this update is installed and has never caused me any grief in Cliffs (or any other games). This is true on two separate computer builds.

Computers are just plain weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

After having this problem a few months ago & having suggestions on how ro solve same I decided to ignore Windowas Up grades & not to bother with same.My question is thei:am I just hiding my head in the sand- should I be doing something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am just the opposite, I don't know maybe I should not be this way , but I have always kept my versions of Windows that I have used, up to date with all the MS udpates. With the exception of some optional updates, or hardware drivers. I never get hardware drivers from anyone but the hardware mfg. All the essential and most recommended updates I install.

Has never really caused me an issue in the past, which I guess is why I just continue to do so. For some reason knowing there are udpates out there that have not been installed, bugs me. I know I am strange.
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Not installing updates to the OpSys and Apps slowly turns the machine in question into a growing security hole soon populated with bots to the chagrin of us all. Exception to the rule: A machine which never ever access the internet, never has a usb-stick inserted, and is used solely to compute primes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Getting updates for 'Internet Explorer 11' now....but haven't updated it yet.....I wonder if updating to this will bypass the IE10 problem update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Can you believe it....?

Went for a fly today...I have installed a few updates recently but made very sure that (kb2670838) was not one of them...so today I go for a fly and 2 minutes into my game ..it crashes....so I go check my updates and lo and behold....it has come back.....I am pretty close to turning off updates totally...

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

ATAG Lewis. Are you aware that you can set windows to ignore particular updates permanently?
    In windows update with the update unticked you right click and "hide" the update. Then contunue to allow windows to update.
    To unhide the update you must go back one page and on the left thier is a show hidden updates button.
    Last edited by Destraex; Nov-15-2013 at 17:01.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am still curious what about this particular update is causing this to happen , only on certain systems...
    Does not do it on mine.
    Is it happening both online and offline??
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by d.burnette View Post
    Is it happening both online and offline??
    Online, like a clock. You flying into 10 or 15 minutes (forgot the ammount of time) and you get timeout from the server.

Dutch

I gave up in the end, and just allowed windows to update itself as it saw fit. The dreaded update is no longer an issue as far as my 'drinks cabinet', aka PC is concerned.

I reckon this whole KB2670838 issue is one of those things that enters into 'gaming lore'. Don't worry about it. Get your OS up to date with all updates and you won't have any issues. But I won't be laying any bets on it.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    Online, like a clock. You flying into 10 or 15 minutes (forgot the ammount of time) and you get timeout from the server.
    Ah maybe that is why it does not affect me then, as I am an offline flyer.
    Don B