Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Joystick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Which Joystick?

For new players coming into any new genre that involves new hardware there is always the problem of 'What Hardware?'..This can be a daunting experience for the new players with so many options on the market... This thread is for them to reference and get a general consensus on what Hardware to invest in when decided that CLOD is for them....

so...

Please post your hardware (Joystick / Throttle / Pedals / Headtrack device) preference here with a brief description and whys and wherefors (if you have the time)..Also a pic would be good...Generally any information you think would be usefull to a new player who is looking for a joystick...If you don't have time then simply state your kit and we can at least still get a general concensus on the most popular stuff.... This goes for even if you see your joystick preference already stated by someone else, please enter a post with your kit and again it will add to the information of how many players use that particular hardware.

IMPORTANT - Please don't dispute others claims as I want this thread to be a 'This is what I use thread' and that is all so it is not cluttered with personal disputes and contrary preferences......Thanks Folks
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: Which Joystick?

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

After using many different sticks at the beginnning of my flight sim life I eventually settled on this stick. I used Logitech 3D pro and Saitek Cyborgs in the past but found that the 3D pro had a common rudder pot break down problem (which happened on both sticks I bought) and was stiff and that the Cyborg was simply just too stiff.

There are 2 versions of the 'Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2', one with forcefeedback and one without. Both have a twist rudder. The non-feedback version has return to center springs in the base which are low resistance compared to many sticks I have tried which I prefer. They have a 'HAT switch' on the top and a thumb button, a throttle slidder and 4 keys on the base,all of which are programmable. Both sticks use the same handles and 4 base buttons so the only difference being the Forcefeedback which can be tweaked in CLODs directory.(I have personally erased all but the 'return to center' files here)

This stick is discontinued but I found all mine on Ebay relatively cheaply. Many of my friends have this stick too and none of us have had any types of break downs so they are a very robust stick. I even have a friend who used his stick for 9 years without a glitch.

CHProducts Throttle Pro

I heard a lot about CHProducts before I eventually managed to find a throttle at a cheap enough price for me to try. The Throttle Pro is a robust piece of kit. It has 3 buttons, 4 HAT switches, 1 mouse key and a main throttle slider. I have 3 gripes with this piece of hardware: 1) No potentiometers. 2) Throttle slider too loose. (remedied by a simple friction mod) and 3) bad ergonomic design. Chunky feel to the handle makes using it feel like you have hold of a pineapple in your left hand. Apart from these problems I still use it and would reccommend it simply because of its robustness and quality

TrackIR

Brilliant piece of technology which totally changes the immersion for CLOD

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jul-13-2017 at 20:33.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This is my kit. The crosswinds and Obutto are new additions just ordered. I also use track IR5 and am looking at an Occulus Rift (for BOS and Assetto Corsa) Although some may think expensive, for me it's a relatively inexpensive hobby.

crosswinds.jpgpit photo 2 (1).JPGThrustmasterHOTAS-Warthog.jpgobutto1.jpg
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Ziegler; Nov-17-2013 at 08:13.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

CH Fighterstick, CH yoke and CH pedals. I bought them because I wanted something that would last for a long time. The Fighterstick is a little big for me, the pedals are a bit too close together.
    Also use a Saitek throttle quadrant as for the cost it is very good.
    For head tracking I use a TiR3 with vector expansion.
    yoke.jpg
    Last edited by Archie; Nov-17-2013 at 09:29.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Saitek x52, Saitek pedals, Track IR4. set is about 6 years old, used them during the IL2 '46 days. I like all the buttons and in Il2 the stopwatch on the throttle came in handy for flying timed routes.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've owned every highend joystick, but always go back to the Microsoft ForceFeedback 2. Its the best for putting bullets on target quickly and smoothly. Although I have my eye on a new joystick currently in production.
    http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...tr#Post3851676

The Cougar throttle is the best throttle on the market. All the buttons and rotaries couldn't be better situated, and its Foxy/Target software allows for quite a number of options.

Saiteck Pro Rudder pedals with toe brakes are fine for my needs.

I also have a Logitech throttle quadrant, and button bay for CEM, engine start etc.

Track IR 5

Track IR and a decent monitor are must haves, but they will "stone age hardware" next year when the the Oculus Rift consumer version is released next year. I definitely put my search for a new monitor on hold until I see how this hardware pans out. I believe a Hotas system that includes atleast four pieces of hardware will be necessary for the best Oculus Rift experience, where its easy to find all your inputs without having to look. It will have a more realistic feel than clicking a mouse over monitor displayed systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm thinking about going with the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X -- hard to argue with the price, and seems sufficient options-wise for someone of my limited flight-sim experience --
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._hps_bw_g63_i4

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

get the version with the throttle, you won't be disappointed. extremely versatile for a first joystick & low budget. 10/10 would buy again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster...flight+hotas+x

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

MSFFBII, X35T and TIR4 are my weapons of choice.

FS~Valisk 'Val' FY-V COUPE DES CLUBS CHAMPIONS EUROPÉENS VAINQUERS SIX FOIS
    Rome. London. Paris. Rome. Istanbul. Madrid.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

gah... $18 more than the non-HOTAS version, but you pushed me over the edge. Should arrive tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    get the version with the throttle, you won't be disappointed. extremely versatile for a first joystick & low budget. 10/10 would buy again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster...flight+hotas+x

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.91 MB

I've owned saiteks over the years but I'm sick of being sold crap that breaks or has phantom key presses and total lack of support.

I'm on a budget at the moment, so I decided to get something cheap like the Hotas-X but I saw this

http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=414&pid=21606&paus=1

great reviews, robust, paddle rudders (not twist), vibration, etc. A steal at £23.00, so I guess I'll find out on Friday when its delivered.
    i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz | nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 11 Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Finally had some time to start setting up my Thrustmaster X Hotas. Initial impressions are positive -- thing is well constructed and solid. Flight stick is particularly nice; throttle is more plastic-y but functional.

Can someone explain to me the proper use of the "Deadzones" when calibrating? I know they are supposed to help you set limits on input, but I don't understand how the calibration functions, with the two "100%" and "0%" bars that I'm supposed to tweak - ?

I'm also having trouble calibrating my trim settings. They are way too sensitive -- I try to trim elevator up, and it doesn't nudge the nose down but puts me into a dive. I try to trim elevator down and I go into a climb. I know there are sensitivity meters for the Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder, but there aren't for Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder Trim. I suspect maybe setting the Deadzones can help with the oversensitivity of the trim, but I just can't figure out how to set them correctly.

Any help appreciated --
    i7 3770k @ 4.6 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16 GB DDR3 RAM | Asus 24" 144Hz Monitor | TrackIR v5 | Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sidewinder ffb2 (none better imho)
    CH Pro throttle
    Track ir 4
    Dont use pedals use twist on the stick

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Meyer is the only pilot I know that flys standing up at a counter! Keep him away from a proper set of rudder pedals. He's already lethal.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Tis true my friend i do fly standing up with all my gear on a counter

16. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    249.9 KB

I fly with the MSFFII joystick, CH pedals, TrakIR4(with the TrakIR5 Software), and Logitech gamepad. Love the Force feedback on joystick, it really helps warn me when about to stall! I have had a problem with the number 1 firing trigger failing, but I know how to open and replace the switch on the small daughter board otherwise it is a great joystick.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Saitek X-52Pro, Trackir5 and Saitek Combat rudder pedals. I've had this setup for 4 years, except for the pedals, which are a couple of months new and replaced my previous rudder pedals.
    Before was a Saitek Cyborg EVO, a MSFF1 that eventually got replaced by the EVO (because it broke) and many crappy joysticks before that.
    Having a separate throttle unit sure makes a difference, but Trackir is what really changed everything for me. Snap viewing with the hat switch wasn't ideal and did the job for a long long time, but nothing beats head-tracking (yet -> OR).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 5./JG27Meyer View Post
    Tis true my friend i do fly standing up with all my gear on a counter
    Dang!

You PK'd me in my Spit last night just as I was lining up a fat, juicy AI HE111 over Manston. The guys on my TS channel were laughing because I had just said that I thought I saw a 109 in the area, but, wait....no...it's a Spit. Then my screen went black. LOL

Good kill!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

20. Likes w0odi liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    142.12 MB

My original HOTAS back in the late 90's was all CH Products: Pro Pedals, Pro Throttle and Combat Stick. It was, of course, all gameport back then and had to be setup in a pure DOS environment which necessitated a dual boot OS after Win98. The good part about the gameport version was that the non-volatile EPROM kept the programming of keyboard assignments even if it was disconnected and stored for a lengthy time. I was amazed at the durability and reliability of the CH stuff as it was "rode hard and put up wet" for many years. With the demise of the gameport interface and mobos that no longer sported a PS2 keyboard connection, it was time to upgrade to USB-based gear. I had no hesitation in staying with CH Products and got the USB Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals and Fighterstick. The throttle and pedals have three modes which effectively triples the number of possible key/switch assignments over the actual number of buttons and switches on the stick and throttle. The CH Control Manager interface makes easy work of key/button assignments and are saved as individual profiles so that you can tailor a profile to each sim you fly and reconfigure your HOTAS in less than 30 seconds. You may be able to find some stick/throttle/pedals that are cheaper, but if you want to invest in components that will serve you for years, give CH consideration. I have no affiliation with CH Products and my opinion is that of a single user.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I currently use a Microsft Sidewinder 2 Force feed back. I purchased the Sidewinder force feedback 2 based on the recommedations in this thread and very pleased with it. I have two throttle units that I can use with the Sidewinder, a Saitek x45 and a X52 and both do a great job.

In the past, I have owned several Saitek products - Cyborg, X45 and both versions of the X52 (Standard and Pro).
    The X45 incorporates a Paddle on the throttle assembly to operate the rudder. It wasn't for me disliking both the rudder paddle and excessive force needed for the yoke.

As far as the X52 models are concerened, I preferred the Standard model over the pro model - mainly because the rotaries are better placed. Added to that, the 3 buttons on the MFD display on the standard model could be assigned to game menu commands directly or via the SST programming software. I carried out the X52 magent Mod which is well covered on U-tube regarding improvements to the dead zone problems (which the Pro model doesn't suffer from). Stick movements is generally good and comfortable and I never noticed much difference between either.

Both X52 Yokes are fairly large and gravity, along with wear, caused the yoke to droop and hang forward - it felt very 'sloppy' after a while.

The Sidewinder yoke in comparison is smaller, looks a bit dated with fewer 'bells and whistles' but has a very positive movement and the motors feel better than any spring. The Sidewinder makes a good companion to the X52 Throttle..

I did have TrackIR 4 but now use Freetrack (freeware) for headtracking with a PS3 eye web cam and have no complaints. (There is a 'sticky' for Freetrack for anyone who is interested in a budget alternative.
    Last edited by ATAG_EvangelusE; Mar-12-2014 at 12:39.
    [CENTER][/CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - MSFF2/X45Th - Asus 23' Monitor.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have the T16000M, which I like it a lot. Only gripe was that the hand rest was loose due to its ability to modify to a left handed stick. I simply super-glued it and the stick is much more comfortable now. Before I could not rest my hand on the rest and precisely control the plane, which defeats the purpose of the rest.

How do people go about choosing rudder pedals? I want to fly the 109 more, but I feel that constantly having to twist my stick to keep from side slipping is annoying since the 109 has no rudder trim.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 5./JG27Meyer View Post
    Sidewinder ffb2 (none better imho)
    CH Pro throttle
    Track ir 4
    Dont use pedals use twist on the stick
    If you see this Meyer... Do you have to be constantly twisting the stick to fly the 109 well? I like the 109 and want to fly it, but i find twisting my stick gets annoying sometimes.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

@Gliese89 Sorry mate been very busy ,and changed squad so only just seen your question . No mate i dont really have a prob using the twist on the stick to control the rudder, Its mainly just practice after a while you wont notice the movement at all. I have used a MS FFB stick for years ,however TBH i have only started to fly this game about 4 months after flying il2 1946 for about 7/8 years . I then had a break for a year and started this one. So all those years with this stick have proven usefull
    Stick with it mate you will get there
    GL

HORRIDO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    142.80 MB

Using the mighty Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and loving it. Excellent accuracy and ergonomy. Also, with the really powerful script editor, you can do anything you want.
    Also got saïtek Rudder Pedals. They are not the best, but they do the job. And of course track IR 5 FTW.
    Last edited by ElGringo; Dec-09-2013 at 10:20.
    Intel Core I9 9900kf, 32 GB DDR4 HyperX Predator @ 3200MHz, 2x Asus GTX 1080TI OC Strix, Asus WS Z390 PRO;
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB & 2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSDs, Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD;
    27 inches Dell U2713HM 2560x1440;
    Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog with Sahaj 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind V2, Logitech G13, Track-IR 5, Wheelstand Pro;
    Windows Seven x64

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This may be useless to prospective new buyers as my equipment is all no longer manufactured- and is pretty rare- but here goes:-
    Stick and throttle- Tarmac Aces- 109 full size replica
    Rudder pedals- Simped F16
    additional buttons, trims etc -Beta Innovations Plasma lite controller (88 buttons, 8 axes- homemade)
    and of course Track IR 5

Well for me immersion is what it's all about and for me having full size controls helps in this, and having a full length stick with associated long travel makes small adjustments easier than 'conventional' sticks. It is also unusual in having NO centering- to me feels more like real planes than a spring or other forms of centering I've tried.

Cons- expense it also does not have many buttons on stick like HOTAS type sticks - (but that's what all the other switches etc are for- to me this is more of a simulation of real WWII cockpit controls/workload but probably wouldn't suit the hyper competitive online types)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.39 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Slipstream View Post
    I've owned saiteks over the years but I'm sick of being sold crap that breaks or has phantom key presses and total lack of support.

I'm on a budget at the moment, so I decided to get something cheap like the Hotas-X but I saw this

http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=414&pid=21606&paus=1

great reviews, robust, paddle rudders (not twist), vibration, etc. A steal at £23.00, so I guess I'll find out on Friday when its delivered.
    Hi Slipstream,

How did you go with this stick? The force vibration sounds interesting, but it seems it has problems working with Windows.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ElGringo View Post
    Using the mighty Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and loving it. Excellent accuracy and ergonomy. Also, with the really powerful script editor, you can do anything you want.
    Also got saïtek Rudder Pedals. They are not the best, but they do the job. And of course track IR 5 FTW.
    Same setup here, except I have the Saitek Combat Pedals rather than the Pro.
    I also just received Friday a CH Throttle Quadrant , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tle%20quadrant , I intend to use in addition to what I have to give me a few more axis than what I have on the Warthog Throttle.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

CH Pedals and an X52 pro/Sidewinder FFB2 Frankenstick here too ...I like lot's of buttons

DSCN1077.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    70.23 MB

Again, not helpful to those looking on Amazon for that perfect purchase; make your own. It's more fun, cheaper and it increases immersion lots.joy31.jpg

Maltloaf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Guys/gals,

Please don't fall over laughing but I use the Logitech Attack3 joystick! Yeah, straight from the Ark! Currently I'm still trying to patch the game and to figure out the three or so million tidbits one needs to know about the game. So, I haven't much flown yet. Very importantly, I hope to find help here as I have no idea how to get the joystick connected and set up. Will welcome any tips, please, especially where the connection and set up thingie for the joystick is done.

Pirabee.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast