Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which Joystick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Re: Which Joystick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
    Right now I'm usuing a Logitech #D pro with a Nostromo keypad..Also got a FF2 in the closet.could use the keypad with it.Got away from it because of the lack of buttons..
    Any opinions on which setup would work better,,i liked the FF2 great precision...My X-52 died awhile back and I fly EAW on-line the keypad shuts out my stick,,I'm working on setting all commands to one keystroke,,Going to see if the keypad works with CLOD Thanks for any advice
    Most commands can be keybound, only a few are Axis-only.
    It depends a little on what you are flying. In a Spitfire, that Nostromo would be well capable of most used commands in itself (especially when adding shift/alt/ctrl modifiers)
    I fly with an X55, but most commands are bound to my throttle, My stick simply has Fire/Brake/Reset TrackIR/Push-to-talk, because I don't want to be multitasking with my stick in a dogfight
    Just for fun I bound open/close Canopy to my spacebar and Bailout to CTRL+Numlock 0 to my keyboard, since IRL they'd require to 'take hands off the controls'

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi all.

Please what joystick do you recommend?

A Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Used or a Thrustmaster T16000M brand new but 3 times more expensive?

I'm most concerned about the precision and durability.. And wish to know if the Sidewinder works fine with Win10.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Giruts View Post
    Hi all.

A Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Used or a Thrustmaster T16000M brand new but 3 times more expensive?

I'm most concerned about the precision and durability.. And wish to know if the Sidewinder works fine with Win10.

Thanks!!
    Depends if the Microsoft is Force Feedback type... if it is, I would prefer it... but if not, then the Thrustmaster.

Having a good force feedback stick in CLIFFS OF DOVER, especially if you are a guy who really likes to hang it out there in a close and personal knife fight, to throw your aircraft around, and you like to fight near the edge of the stall.... it's GOLD.

However, the Microsoft Sidewinder sticks will eventually wear out... the pots get corroded, switches die.

You can replace them, there are replacement switches and pots on the market, but if you are not into home repairs, then stay with the new stick.

Also, if you are a pilot who religiously sticks to boom and zoom tactics, then a force feedback stick is not as necessary.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Mar-24-2017 at 01:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Giruts View Post
    Hi all.

Thanks!!
    I'd go used Microsoft Sidewinder 2 (make sure its the 2) every time...The hardware is top quality and I've said many times the ones you get from eBay are hardly used...Folks who stick with flight sims don't sell them...probably keep them as a solid backup...so any you find used on eBay probably hardly used...I went though a spell of buying them...I got over 10 of them...Everyone of them worked perfectly and none looked like they had been used much...I put a liitle blob of plastic grease in the gimbal of the non-FFB version and thats it...

They are as competitive as the best sticks out there...The hardware is Microsoft good quality...They have the well deserved reputation for being bullet proof by those that use them...You don't need any software with them as all Windows recognise them as plug and play devices...

I can't speak for any expensive sticks with bells and whistles...but I haven't felt the need to change for anything other than the MSSW2 for over 10 years flight simming...

I would buy one of the non-feedback versions just as a backup anyway...I have seen them on eBay yesterday for $10...

If you read through this thread you will see what folks use...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-24-2017 at 07:46.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Microsfot Sidewinder Precision 2 USB is old hardware, Sidewinder's production end in 2003.
    As standard for time use potentiometers in all axes - what has finite useful live - although Microsoft use the best potentiometer seem in joysticks until today.
    Precision 2 overall construction is on par with CH sticks, made to last.

Thrusmaster T.16000M is typical "low cost" product of today, with all cuts possible to make production cost low, e.g. don't use mechanical switches but rubber membranes under buttons,
    their (only*) advantage is use contact less HALL sensor (same Melexis 3D MLX90333 of Tm Warthog) in X, Y axes, what assure noise free signal and theoretically "infinite" useful life.
    A detail that all joystick buyer should pay attention when buy a brand new joystick.

But for 1/3 of T.16000M prices (50/60$) not wrong with Precision 2, if fail the loss will be little.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-24-2017 at 10:52.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    34.48 MB

t

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

I've been through several joysticks but personally I'm happy with the VKB Gladiator I have currently. Think you know you're onto a winner when you don't find yourself looking at other joysticks with a view to an upgrade. Not the easiest to get mind. Heard lots of good things about the T1600M, especially if you don't want to break the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

I have both the MSFFB2 and a CH Fighterstick, still have the X52 as throttle and the stick for extra buttons. I use the FFB2 in CloD, but hate the stick shake from a nose over, damaged or cold engine. The silky smooth center is unique and makes up for any of the other shortfalls(poor button layout and not enough of them).
    It's easier to shoot at long ranges(like attacking bombers) with the MS but hanging on the edge of a stall in a fight the CH stick feels better to me and I put more rounds on target.
    In DCS I prefer the CH stick, it's more precise and has a more stable feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    I have both the MSFFB2 and a CH Fighterstick,
    Get a used (can be gameport) CH Combatstick, better for WWII planes that Fightestick because the left side "shoulder" thumb button instead HAT = perfect for fire cannons
    and fit in MSFFB2 base. "Better of two worlds".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

I've seen that mod before - I like it. Would you possibly have a link with more info?

That pic is actually a fighterstick, the thumb is a hat switch, I use that for zoom view in/out. The combat stick has the single fire button there.
    I use the pinky button to fire MG only, trigger for MG and cannon both.
    That grip and the Sidewinder base would be my ideal setup for CloD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Yes, this MOD linked is FighterStick, but are are some with CombatStick.

You have two approach for do this.

Wire CombatStick in MSFFB2 circuit, in this case leave the left HAT left and right buttons unconnected, because CombatStick has 10 buttons (+POV HAT) and MSFFB2 has only 8 (+POV HAT).

Or place a Arduino PRO Micro (~6$) inside CH grip and wire buttons there, in this case Windows/Games will see the MOD as two joysticks, one for axes, other for buttons.
    Option more appropriated for use FighterStick since this mas more buttons = 16 + POV HAT.

Sample: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...8&postcount=66

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Great! Thanks.
    Now the problem will be to find a broken/dead Fighterstick.... I think they were only USB and even after 5 years mine is as solid as a tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Since CH sticks are "vintage" products you find gameport version made in 1998~1999, that excluding the USB controller is the same of actual joystick.

CH use Japanese OMROM switches - and not copper membrane like Warthog's - for buttons, this things is made to last.

I have a perfect functional with thousand of hours in "dogfights" 1998 CH Combatstick gameport.
    Just replace the gameport circuit with 10 bit USB controller.

If you find one gameport in eBay they grip are perfect for this kind of MOD and will cost less than USB versions.

14. Likes 7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.0 KB

Nice posts. I've got 5 MSFFB2 sticks and two of them need repairs.

Time to start chopping and soldering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER View Post
    Time to start chopping and soldering.

What I'm wondering, is that I got an unused Logitech G940 here, of which I loved it's FFB
    and I currently USE the X55, but really miss the FFB
    I wonder if it's possible to get the stick from the X55 on the Logitech body, and how much work this may entail
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I did one awhile ago ..X52 pro/MFFB2..got a warthog since then but this one still works ...

18. Likes BOO, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.63 MB

20. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Nice!

Love the MSSW with spade grip
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

For what it is worth, I'm very new to SIMs in general (in the .etc age category) and a newbie here only since January. I searched and joined to find the best taildragger flight experience in order to relive my piloting past. Not knowing anything and obtaining all my experience so far from this forum, I chose my set up from advise here. My set up is totally CH and it works for me. The only complaint I have is with the rudder pedals. I think I will eventual try something different because the pedals are a little too close together for my liking.

Cockpit.png

JST1.png
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

23. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox, Nightdare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

I have the Microsoft precision 2 Joystick (non FFB) which I bought on Lewis's recommendation and I can't really add any more to what he has said about this stick.
    Very good, robust and competitive stick, I am more than happy with mine.

I also have the Saitek Pro flight Yoke and 3 lever quadrant which I sometimes use when flying bombers to get more of a bomber feel to my sim flying.

Again, nice piece of kit. Mainly using the MS Sidewinder joystick as I mostly fly RAF fighters, although I have started using the 3 lever quadrant with both set ups.

I am using a set of Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, and I have found these to be adequate for my flying needs. However, I have heard reports from others that the toe brakes are prone to failure with these pedals, although mine have been fine so far. However, as I fly RAF I don't usually use the toe brakes anyway.

There are much better pedals on the market, but be prepared to shell out a lot more money for them. Would recommend the saiteks if you are on a budget though.

Finally to Head tracking. I use Ed Tracker, which is a good, and much cheaper alternative to Track IR. Although you only get 3 DOF with Ed Tracker as opposed to 7DOF with Track IR, there are work arounds using opentrack to enable the "Lean out of the cockpit to check 6" facility, and Ed Tracker is not affected by light in the same way as Track IR
    MS Sidewinder precision 2.jpgPro-Flight-Yoke-01.jpgSaitek pro flight rudder pedals.jpgEd Tracker pro.jpg

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

25. Likes RAF74_Buzzsaw liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.15 MB

Any stick with a working profile,stay away from CH products because they don’t have any ,not for the Spitfire anyway.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    410.5 KB

Smile Re: Which Joystick?

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.09 MB

Red face Re: Which Joystick?

any advice on what joystick would be suitable for a older pilot with a shaky hand pls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Leonard

Depends if you want spent $100 or $500+.

Up to $100 the best option is VKB Gladiator Mk.II (contactless sensor in X, Y and twist axes), secondly Thrustmaster T.16000M (contacless sensor in X, Y axes).
    Avoid other models in this price range, all use cheap potentiometers = worm out with use, spikes and headache.

Between $100 and ~$200 options are:

CH Fighterstick PRO (an vintage 1999 product), Saitek X-52 and X-52 PRO HOTAS.

Between $200 and 300

Warthog stick standalone* (~$210 in Amazon), Saitek X-56.

* Warthog and CH Fighterstick, require a rudder pedals or a throttle with rudder control, e.g. TWCS, so their real cost is more.

Above $300 - the "high end":

VKB Gunfigher with KG-12 grip or Kosmosima or MCG/MCG PRO grips. Customizable CAM gimbal. Prices $360 to $460, depends on grip option.

- Kosmosima grip has embed "twist axis" for rudder control.

VPC WarBRD with WarBRD grip, Delta grip or T50/T50 CM grip, V.F.X. (F-14) grip. Customizable CAM gimbal. Prices slight above VKB, depends on grip option.

VPC T50CM with WarBRD grip, Delta grip or T50/T50 CM grip, V.F.X. (F-14) grip. Customizable CAM gimbal. Prices slight above VKB, depends on grip option.

- VPC Delta, WarBRD, V.F.X. (F-14), Alpha ("Alien") grips has embed "twist axis" for rudder control.

Since none of "high end" options include throttle solution add at least $90 (Thrustmaster TWCS throttle) in their cost, or $ 360 for VirPil throttle, the best "universal" throttle around.
    If you fly only propeller planes GVL224 and Kanttorini custom throttles are best option, with similar price.

Then, before all, answer: "Ho much I want spend?"
    Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-01-2019 at 13:34.

30. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

https://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PS28-F...tronics&sr=1-2

good mid range value..and good pedals if so desired
    Last edited by III./ZG76_Saipan; Jul-03-2019 at 12:59.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    76.64 MB

I can recommend this one, VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II Joystick. Now using it for 1/2 year, stable, responsive and solid. Best I ever had, apart from MS Sidewinder FF2.
    It comes for € 94. Before this one I had the Thrustmaster T-16000M, comes for € 60 now, but the VKB is worth the extra price. VKB has a metal plate keeping it on it's place, and the feather is better.

https://flightsimcontrols.com/produc...k-ii-joystick/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234