Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Hollywood 'Battle of Britain' Movie...

On the border of the Eastern and Western Roman Empire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    763 Bytes

Re: New Hollywood 'Battle of Britain' Movie...

My worst fear is that the effort ends up with something along the lines of Pearl Harbor, an overwrought “epic” production which turned the real drama of events into farce
    Heck, If the movie will be about battle of britain with mustangs flying above the cliffs and with some fake love story and handsome young waxed hollywood B movie actors...Im sure I will enjoy it
    But...Hollywood did some nice war movies in past decades....Blackhawk down comes to my mind....It is indeed a very well made war movie imho.....imagine something of that quality with ww2 pilots...

BTW, Dark blue world was a great watch.....even though the love triangle is there ofcourse....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    click here for fixes if you have stutters in Cliffs Of Dover

Dutch

Knucks mate, or should I just say 'Den'? 'Den-boy'? Me ole mate 'Denzle'?

There will never be a remake of 'The Dambusters'. If there is, it will fail. Why? Because there has never been a need for a remake, also because if a remake was made, it would be made in 'Hollywood', which will lie and distort the truth so that the grand old 'US of A!!!' was actually responsible for the Dams raid. Or Barnes Wallis actually grew up on a farm in Minnesota. You Watch......

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knuckles View Post
    I so agree with you guys here, being a movie buff as well as a frustrated screen play writer, screw all the CG, write a great story that's historically correct (really not all that hard to do) then hire someone that can actually act and you just might make a good movie

Red talis. Gawd I was absolutely imbarrassed.

I have heard from time to time that a remake of "the dam busters" is in the works, Which scares me to death

The original :::: great acting, great screen play, historically pretty close. CG. Not so good --- a great movie

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    140.32 MB

The remake of Dam busters was done in 1979, the movie was called STAR WARS. (the attack on the death star)
    anyone remember the name of the movie were the US get hold of a enigma code machine from a german sub, based on a true story only it was british not US that did it, had Bonjovi in it as a cameo aperance?
    Laurence of arabia movie left out that the aussie 10th light horse had some major effect in his war, chasing the enemy back and liberating towns and citys for him to arrive latter on to be given credit for it.
    Dont believe eveything you read or watch, especially movies.

read the black hawk down book and then watch the movie, two different story's.
    Abraham Lincon did not kill vampires.

"Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story" Mark `CHOPPER` Read.
    Last edited by Mrmaverick; Apr-15-2014 at 23:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

U-571

..but I refuse to believe Abe was not a vampire killer, it all makes sense

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Isn't there meant to be a remake of dambusters knocking about in pre-production somewhere, I'm sure I heard that Stephen Fry had written the screenplay for it, so may not be complete tosh.

Me and the other half were watching Blackhawk Down while she was in the very late stages of labour with our daughter a couple of years ago, it kept her distracted for an hour or so before we legged it to hospital and still stands up pretty well today! I saw Memphis Belle the other day for the first time since the early 90s, time has definitely not been kind to this film as to how I remember it! Or maybe it looked cool when I was 16, it looks much older than early 90s now and the plot is paint by numbers to say the least.
    Last edited by ATAG_Monkeynut; Apr-22-2014 at 17:51.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
    Nooo don't let Hollywood near an English war story.
    + one googleplex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Not gonna lie - I'd pay to see P-51 Dragon Slayer. Especially if it was campy and bloody as hell. Maybe a fighter squadron gets sucked in to a time warp and lands in a medieval fantasy world? I think you just had a stroke of genius without even knowing it.

Or am I drunk?
    P9X79 Pro | i7-3930K | GTX680 | 2X 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD | 32GB RAM | Win7 64 | AdobeCC | Cinema4D
    Cliffs Of Dover | Battle Of Stalingrad | Rise Of Flight | DCS P-51 | FSX | X-Wing Alliance
    CH Pro Throttle | CH Combatstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by MonThackma View Post
    Not gonna lie - I'd pay to see P-51 Dragon Slayer. Especially if it was campy and bloody as hell. Maybe a fighter squadron gets sucked in to a time warp and lands in a medieval fantasy world? I think you just had a stroke of genius without even knowing it.

Or am I drunk?
    Yah. 'How to tame your Dragon- 2'. Eh? Poke him with hot sticks. What's to learn??

However, Tame your DCS P-51, yup there's a challenge, so how come Hollywood is so behind the times?? Beats me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
    Tame your DCS P-51
    P9X79 Pro | i7-3930K | GTX680 | 2X 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD | 32GB RAM | Win7 64 | AdobeCC | Cinema4D
    Cliffs Of Dover | Battle Of Stalingrad | Rise Of Flight | DCS P-51 | FSX | X-Wing Alliance
    CH Pro Throttle | CH Combatstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Currently there is a WW2 film being filmed in Oxfordshire (but set in the Eastern Front) Can't remember what it's about, or who the actors are.

Also on the first page they were talking about some of the American RAF pilot's, my grandad quite a number of years ago, pulled up a Spitfire off the coast of Clacton-on-sea, and after research found out, the pilot was American. He never bailed-out, he slammed into the water at full speed.

With the CGI of today, yeah it's rather over the top and highly noticeable, but in film's where you cannot do without CGI It's forgiven, but for historical film's it's hard because not many WW2 aircraft are air worthy, and the RAF won't bring them out for a film, in fear of damaging the aircraft. The other alternative is to use 1/4 scale RC plane's and add small bit's of CGI to make it look believable.

With film's I tend to watch them for what they are, not for what they are not. Mainly why I just watch SCI-FI because it's easy to be forgiven because it either hasn't happened or it doesn't exist.

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSpZ2Q17Fc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmaverick View Post
    The remake of Dam busters was done in 1979, the movie was called STAR WARS. (the attack on the death star)
    anyone remember the name of the movie were the US get hold of a enigma code machine from a german sub, based on a true story only it was british not US that did it, had Bonjovi in it as a cameo aperance?
    Laurence of arabia movie left out that the aussie 10th light horse had some major effect in his war, chasing the enemy back and liberating towns and citys for him to arrive latter on to be given credit for it.
    Dont believe eveything you read or watch, especially movies.

read the black hawk down book and then watch the movie, two different story's.
    Abraham Lincon did not kill vampires.

"Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story" Mark `CHOPPER` Read.
    I don't think it was dambusters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZq-tlJTrU&app=desktop

Further up in this thread someone mentioned Scorsese and Hells Angels in the same post. The funny thing is I believe it was Scorsese who showed a young Lucas a 16mm print of Hells Angels. Too bad he seems to have forgotten that movie when he made red tails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LizLemon View Post
    That's priceless!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I would prefer to many thanks for this wonderful information!! I'm terribly interested for this post.This web site is thus useful...
    Phar Lap, known affectionately as "Bobby" by his strapper Tommy Woodcock (Burlinson), collapses and dies in Woodcock's arms, at Menlo Park in California, in 1932. The news is greeted with great sadness and anger in Australia. The remainder of the film is done as flashback. film phar lap

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Aescwulf View Post

With the CGI of today, yeah it's rather over the top and highly noticeable, but in film's where you cannot do without CGI. It's forgiven, but for historical film's it's hard because not many WW2 aircraft are air worthy, and the RAF won't bring them out for a film, in fear of damaging the aircraft.
    You could do a combination of real aircraft and CGI and have something which would look very good.

There are quite a number of privately owned Spitfires which are available for film use.

Interior/Exterior Cockpit scenes could all be done in a real Spitfire/Hurricane cockpit with green screen without the aircraft ever leaving the ground. (or a 109/Stuka/Heinkel cockpit)

Full scale models, (or the actual aircraft) could be suspended in front of a green screen and photographed while being moved to change perspective. This could then be doubled into any scene and would provide the real textural quality of the aircraft instead of the typical crap CGI textures.

Limited amounts of actual flying could be done with the actual aircraft, with miniature cameras, (GoPro's or better equivalents) to get details like landings, takeoff, undercarriages deploying, etc.

The main problem with most modern film is the directors go over the top with the CGI.

And they don't understand the realities of the combat of this era.

There is no reason why a better film than BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1967) couldn't be made with today's technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post

There is no reason why a better film than BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1967) couldn't be made with today's technology.
    ..but, a movie like "BoB 1968" at that time, the way it was produced and was made, there will never again be in this implementation. And exactly this makes it so unique, with all the mistakes.
    (f.exp. today, set a whole building on fire, on the themse-river in middle of london?!)
    LARRY69

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

I'd settle for a new version of the original film with appropriate CGI added to replace the scenes with mid air collisions that were obviously models. It would be gooder!
    In the past, aggressive Australian patrols have caused the enemy great embarrassment by unremittingly harassing his line of communications, destroying his dumps, and generally indulging in a "spot of bastardry." – Notes for Platoon & Section Leaders distributed to Allied Land Forces in SouthWest Pacific Area-Operations 1943.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12