Thread: AMD/ATI 6970 - GPU not running at full speed - Solved

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

AMD/ATI 6970 - GPU not running at full speed - Solved

The past week I have been dealing with getting started with COD. Despite new hardware and new windblows 7 install, performance just was not were it should be, outside of the known problems and fixes.

I found the 6970 graphics card was only running the GPU at 500mhz rather than 900mhz. It is COD related as all other games ramp it up.

The fix is, make a profile then edit the profile config file to run at 900mhz in all 3 steps. In my case, win 7, the config file is located in, libraries/user/appdata/local/ati/ace/profiles/profilenameyougaveit

Edit these lines from:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="25000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="70000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="90000" />
    </Feature>

To:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="90000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="90000" />
    </Feature>

I made 2 profiles so I can easily switch back after playing.

Hope this helps someone and saves them the aggravation of figuring out what the problem is. This problem seems to be related to 6970 series only, and perhaps 6990, only real difference is 6970 has 2gb of ram, while 6990 is 4gb of ram and a little slower clock speed.

I have always used Nvidia, this is my first experience with ATI, moved to ATI because I use AMD cpu's and gigabyte mother boards, and intel purchased Nvidia, my graphics card is made by gigabyte. The cpu, motherboard, and graphics card should play nicely together. So far everything has worked great, no complaints.

I'm a Linux open source guy and despise the nasty quartet that does everything money can buy to bury Linux and open source (microsoft, intel, adobe, macintosh). Real shame macintosh has gone the route they have, since their OS comes from open source along with many of their applications, and not to mention M$ has lifted numerous things from Linux, yet markets them as their own.

If anyone has any problems let me know, I might be able to help, 30 years of computers has provided for a bit of knowledge. Though windblows really is not my forte, only recently installed after 5 years of non use (gaming only), only installed to play new games due to performance issues emulating with wine with Linux. I actually get better performance with older games emulating in Linux than people get with native win install. As soon as dx 10 and 11 is working with wine, windblows will be ditched once again.

Vulgar

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: AMD/ATI 6970 - GPU not running at full speed - Solved

Nice fix,Vulgar, and good of you to share this with us here.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Hi Vulgar,

Thanks for the very informative post.

There is an issue that affects AMD/ATI cards. The opening splash video seems to lock the GPU VRAM speed (in my case to 900mhz from 1200). The fix is to delete the splash video located in *:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\parts\core\GUI. Sorry I can't remember what it's called as I make sure it's always deleted.

Cheers Old Bean.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes Septic that supposedly works, I do not believe it had an affect in my case, they say that was fixed, though I have removed/renamed it anyways.

I found that it was called logo.wmv.

Simply renaming it, especially after the extension will cause it to be missed if you want to keep it around, simply changing the name and not the extension it may still play as the code may be written to play any .wmv file in that folder and sub folders, as it is the only one. Of course moving to a different folder should do it also. I did both just to make sure, but kept it around in case there were problems with it missing.

Always willing to help, as I know how frustrating it can be to find a solution, the solution is always easy, it is finding the problem that is the hassle, usually.