Thread: Supermarine Spitfire controls

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Supermarine Spitfire controls

This is a list of all the controls needed to fly and fight with all Spitfire models.

Supermarine Spitfire (all models)

Wheel Chocks

toggle primary cockpit illumination
    toggle secondary cockpit illumination

increase sight distance
    decrease sight distance (sets your gunsight to selected convergence)

adjust gunsight left
    adjust gunsight right (sets the wingspan of target in gunsight)

toggle gunsight illumination

course setter - increase
    course setter - decrease

directional gyro - increase
    directional gyro - decrease

toggle selected engine (ignition)

directional controls (ailerons, elevators, and rudder)

trim controls (elevator and rudder)

lean to gunsight

fire guns

throttle

boost cut-off

fuel cock #1 - toggle

increase mixture
    decrease mixture

magnetos #1 - toggle
    magnetos #2 - toggle

open radiator
    close radiator

increase propeller pitch
    decrease propeller pitch

raise landing flaps position
    lower landing flaps position

raise undercarriage
    lower undercarriage

engage emergency undercarriage system

wheel brakes

map

toggle canopy

jettison canopy

bail out

Many of these controls can be set to axes controls, and some are not needed for certain models.
    Put your most used controls closer to your fingertips, for easiest access and better comfort.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by DRock; Jan-30-2015 at 10:47.

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Supermarine Spitfire controls

Hi DRock

Great list but can I suggest that you also need the following for sight management:-

Adjust Sight Left/Right - Set the wingspan of your target
    Decrease/Increase Sight distance - Sets your sights for your selected convergence.

This would also be relevant to the Hurricane too.

S!

Cheers

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Loopback View Post
    Hi DRock

Great list but can I suggest that you also need the following for sight management:-

Adjust Sight Left/Right - Set the wingspan of your target
    Decrease/Increase Sight distance - Sets your sights for your selected convergence.

This would also be relevant to the Hurricane too.

S!

Cheers

Alan
    I would disagree, its easily usable with the mouse, and you hardly need to mess with it after taking off. Many people don't even set it at all. Personally I do match it to the 109. The main thing is that a sight like this is of questionable utility, most cases you will be shooting at something thats not even directly in your sights anyway due to deflection. So no I would advise against setting any keys for this, you need to learn to "feel" your shots, the last thing you want to do is be messing with this in flight.

I think all of the above are pretty sensible things to have keys for. Personally I don't bind keys for the gunsight illumination (I just click it before take off), or emergency undercarriage (It's not a bad thing to have a key for, maybe I should, however I don't seem to need it often, and when I do it's far less often that it's something time critical). I don't set keys for mags, they switch on when you press I and are easy to reach with the mouse anyway, I will shut them off when my engine is gone and I'm gliding feathered across the channel. Lean to gunsight for the spit/109 is useless if you have track ir, otherwise mandatory, I still do have it bound though for bomber tail gunning, but its not in a prominent location on my keyboard.

The rest are critical, I can't think of any others to add specific to the spit.
    Last edited by Zisi; Mar-14-2014 at 23:32.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I agree with your sentiment on the convergence setting as you could just set at take off and forget it but I do find the sight distance adjustment useful to have set as a key for when I'm going up against bombers.

Fighters are another story and you do have to learn to 'feel' your shots as you so rightly say.

The other reason I mentioned it was because when you use TrackIR or Freetrack, sometimes using a mouse to set it isn't easy because as you look around the cockpit the mouse moves around too but I also know you can just pause your tracking whilst you set it.

I use a custom built controller and have a button set to turn on sight illumination and then set the convergence on the sight when the switch is turned off so maybe that's why I think it has value as a key.

I don't know, I guess ultimately I was just putting it out there. The last think I want to do is to confuse DRocks great post.

Cheers

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

lean to gunsight
    This command is really necessary in Spitfire?

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

For extra realism, I have programmed the following commands into my keyboard in order to more closely simulate controller/switch positions and hand movements that a Spitfire pilot would actually use while flying: (No simple numerals are used). They take some learning practice, but so does a real Spitfire.

CLoD does not display a clickable start switch. In the Spitfire, the start switch is on the panel, just above the fuel cock. Therefore, I startup with the "Home" key just above the programmed "End" (Fuel Cock) key instead of the default "I" key. You can see that the switches are in the same relative location as those on your monitor screen.

Close canopy/hatch door-Numpad-9 (Right hand operated. This allows the side door to be closed, but not half-cocked)
    Open canopy/hatch door-Numpad-3 (Right hand operated. This allows the side door to be opened, but not half-cocked)
    Flaps up-F3
    Flaps Down-R
    Radiator Open-F (Left hand operated)
    Radiator Close-V (Left hand operated)
    Gunsight Illumination-F5
    Decrease Primary Illumination-M
    Increase Primary Illumination-Comma
    Decrease Secondary Illumination-Period
    Increase Secondary Illumination-Slash
    Raise Undercarriage-Numpad-8 (Manually-Alt Numpad-8) (Right hand operated)
    Lower Undercarriage-Numpad-2 (Manually-Alt Numpad-2) (Right hand operated)
    Engage Under carriage emergency system-CTL Numpad decimal point) (Right hand operated)
    Full Wheel Brakes-B (Try to assign this to a joystick push button)
    Decrease Sight distance-CTL Underscore (_) (This is only used once, during preflight, hence the control modifier.)
    Increase sight distance-CTL Equals (=) (This is only used once, during preflight, hence the control modifier.)
    Adjust sight Left-Open bracket ([)
    Adjust sight right-Close bracket(])
    Magneto 1-Q
    Magneto 2-W
    Fuel cock #1 Toggle-End (usually between delete and Page down)

Directional Gyro decrease-Semicolon
    Directional Gyro increase-Quote
    Course setter decrease-right (Right arrow key)
    Course setter increase-Left (Left arrow key)
    Field off view 30-Numpad-4
    Field off view 70-Numpad-5
    Field off view 90-Numpad-6
    Field of View +/- This is a very handy “Zoom in/out’ control in “Camera” section. Assign to button.
    Signal Ground Crew to Insert/Remove Chocks-[Key of your choice] is an excellent Parking Brake!

Boost Cut-Out Override - Assign this to a convenient button on or near the Throttle. (Left hand operated)

Whatever you use for "bail-out", I recommend you add a modifier (CTR, ALT,etc.) so that two hands are required and inadvertent bail-out is impossible. I like [CTL with Numpad –] because they are so far apart. Don't forget to open the canopy first. [Numpad-3]

I also suggest you program keys for centering the rudder trim (and the aileron trim if you have it programmed into your controller). (The real Spitfire Mk I/II had no Aileron trim)

To keep all this straight, you may apply little label stickers on your keys. Or, for around $15 US online, you can even get a separate thin keyboard just for CLoD to place under and in front of your monitor as a faux control panel.
    Last edited by Baffin; May-01-2014 at 19:42.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

8. Likes Gramps liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Full Wheel Brakes-B (Try to assign this to a joystick push button)
    Use joystick the trigger to brakes - plus a modifier (key, e.g. space, or other button if available, for example in throttle - if use HOTAS).

Trigger only fire guns.

Modifier plus trigger press brake (and dont fire guns).

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

My objective is realism... A single joystick button, especially one pressed by the right hand fingers, is the closest I can come to simulating the brake lever on a Spitfire spade grip. If your controller has a better solution for you, by all means use it!

Have fun with it!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Good post Fidget. Given me something to think about as a new player especially labelling my keyboard ( A nice tip that )

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You can use a second labeled keyboard for controls.

http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflight...oard_home.html

Hidmacros - http://www.hidmacros.eu/ - allow game differentiate (some) keys press on different keyboards.

A single joystick button, especially one pressed by the right hand fingers, is the closest I can come to simulating the brake lever on a Spitfire spade grip

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Fidget View Post
    My objective is realism... A single joystick button, especially one pressed by the right hand fingers, is the closest I can come to simulating the brake lever on a Spitfire spade grip. If your controller has a better solution for you, by all means use it!

Have fun with it!
    Brake lever with a microswitch
    spadepit_zpscd98417a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Archie; Apr-05-2014 at 15:39.