Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying and skip bombing the Blenheim on Cockpit Instruments only.

Dutch

Re: Flying and skip bombing the Blenheim on Cockpit Instruments only.

No problem mate.

I've found that one 250lb-er will sink a minelayer when skip bombed.

Originally I took them with the old 'use the force method' in a shallow dive.

Here's a vid from way back when. :Grin:

Last edited by Dutch; Jan-17-2012 at 09:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

This certainly looks familiar to me:

Blenheims_flying_low.jpg

Knuckles

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Big thanks from me Dutch for the Skip bombing video's. It works i tells you, even with me at the controls!

Dutch

No prob Tonka and thanks for saying so!

I made these vids at a time when a lot of people were saying that the Blen was 'unflyable', just to get people to try the thing at a basic level and to prove that it wasn't.

Now lots of people have found this out for themselves, maybe I should update the vids to where most of us are now.

I must say I don't fly the Blenheim anything like the way I flew it in the video!

Hmm.....watch this space!

Dutch

Video Tutorials in first post updated to a more appropriate standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

How long does in take a Blenheim to warm up?
    I have a cunning plan involving a JU88 and several kilo's of HE...

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Dutch, good work on the video's. Any chance you show us how to hit land based targets with such accuracy next? Pretty please?!

Blenheim takes a few minutes to warm up Uther. You can get airborne in 2 or 3 mins if you rush it and taxi with engines complaining. 5 mins before taxiing if you wait if for it warm up without rushing it.

If the cunning plan involves flying down Littlestone runway with the JU88 and bombing what's on the ground, make sure someone is filming. It was an awesome sight from where i was sat when Littlestone was bombed yesterday and I'd love to see it from the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

Uther :

Come on let us Belnheim boys in on your plan. P.M. if you need to. I certainly want in on it

Knuckles

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
    Thanks Dutch, good work on the video's. Any chance you show us how to hit land based targets with such accuracy next? Pretty please?!
    :bgsmile: Well, it's pretty much the same from my angle.

Keep really low (100ft) at 240mph and drop yer eggs when the near edge of the target disappears under the nose! (Old tactic from flying Sturmoviks too much!).

But you're right, maybe I should do a short clip.

Edit: Hold on there is one somewhere, bear with me!

Here you go! This was to check nav tools accuracy, but you'll see the bombing technique in the last minute or so, plus the usual outcome of solo bombing raids!

Watch from 2:13 ish.

Last edited by Dutch; Mar-09-2012 at 15:32.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Awesome, thanks Dutch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for putting this on youtube :hpyclp:

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Salute

I know I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for your hard work on this tutorial.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Salute

I know I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for your hard work on this tutorial.
    Thanks Buzzsaw. It's well out of date now, and was made back when it was the Blenny which had all the overheating probs. Apparently the new Blen is much easier to manage, but is difficult to slow down for landing.
    I haven't done any Blenny flying to speak of for months.
    Tonka, Divittor and Slipstream could maybe jump in here and give some further tips. Are you there chaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.91 MB

Great work on the videos Dutch , Now what would you like me to add? How to shoot down a 109 or 110 even?

Yes the Blenheim is easier to fly now, for a while it seemed to carry too much speed even in full landing config, However after a full re-install I don't seem to have that problem anymore. It really confuses me how this sim works sometimes.

Anyway, I never fly this one to the books. I fly it to get in and out causing as much destruction as quickly and silently as possible, so here how I operate it.

STARTUP:

Prop Pitch: Coarse
    Mixture: Confirm Normal
    Radiators: Open
    Fuel Cocks: Inner Tanks (Cock 3 with the black handle is for stability between fuel tanks and is not usually touched for normal flight)
    Fuel Gauges: Set On
    Start Engine: 2 then 1

BEFORE TAXI:
    Plot Course On Map
    Set Directional Gyro
    Set Course Setter
    Set Bomb Salvo Mode: Single or Salvo
    When Oil is at 40c and Engine Temp is around 160c,
    Set Flaps: 15 Degrees
    Prop Pitch: Fine

TAKE-OFF:
    For short field takeoff with heavy payloads boost should be used. For longer fields or lighter loads I use it as follows. If I'm flying on the deck I'll use the boost, for high flying I won't. Reason being is that low-level I need speed and the engine stays cooler, higher up with Boost on you need to manage the engine alot more to prevent overheating.

Boost: As Required

INITIAL CLIMB:
    Positive Rate: Confirmed
    Gear: Up
    Flaps: Retract at 120mph
    Prop Pitch: Coarse passing 150mph
    Radiators: 35 - 50% open
    -----------------------------------
    FURTHER CLIMB:
    Boost: Off
    Mixture: Normal
    Carb Heat: On above 8000ft

CRUISE & BOMBING:
    Low Level flying is more charging than cruising, full power with boost, rads 35% pulling 250mph hugging the deck at no more than 100 feet.
    Just watch the oil temps don't rise above 80c.
    High Level is a different matter because overheating is so much easier. For cruising there is a little yellow triangle between +9 & +10 on the boost gauge (which is behind the control column), and I usually set the needle to point to that, which gives about 45-50% throttle power and a steady cruise speed of around 190 - 210 mph

The Bombing techniques in Dutch's videos are still valid. I usually bomb tree-top level carrying 4x250 GP Ever-ready with an 11 sec delay. For ships and well spread out targets, I leave the distribution mode at singular which is default. For closely grouped targets, like an ammo dump, I'll switch to salvo and drop all four in one go.
    High Level Bombing needs practice in the Blenheim, you need to trim the plane for 'hands-free' flight, and set course for the target a lot sooner. afterwards its a matter of making minor adjustments to keep on course.

APPROACH & LANDING:

Set up for approach nice and earlier to bleed any extra speed and height.

Mixture: Confirm Normal
    Carb Heat: Off
    Boost: Off
    Power: Reduce to idle
    Prop Prop: Fine
    Flaps: Full
    Gear: Down
    Trim: Reset

At 100 mph, trim to descend at 100 fpm & adjust power as necessary. If you start to increase speed, cross controls to bleed speed, or fishtail alittle. as you cross the airfield boundary you should be about tree-top level, cut the throttles and reduce rate of descent by pulling back a little on the controls. Keep a constant eye on the runway, the variometer, and your speed.
    When your about 10 - 20 feet from touchdown, gently pull back on the stick to "flare" and then she should gently float to the ground.

ENEMIES

There are individuals who like nothing more than to hunt down a larger slower plane for an easy kill. And while your read gunner may not be the brightest star in the sky, or have the firepower needed, you can always show the hun some new tricks.
    Firstly, add some Incendiary Tracer, De-Wilde, and AP to your guns. I also carry a round of ball too. This willl give a good kick to your pea-shooter. And when all else fails, remember, your Blenheim has a great turn rate

BF110's regularly hunt down Blenheim's, but they usually have a difficult time catching up when the Blennie is at full speed. So the more n00bish will try and spray the Blennie from distance which is a good sign that a BF110 is there. These hotshots think they are smart hunting you down, but when the hunter becomes the hunted, they run scared. Here's how. Choose a direction, Drop onto your side, and pull back on the stick quickly but smoothly and keep turning hard. If your on coarse prop pitch set it to fine if you bleed too much speed and the plane starts to feel heavy. If you've performed the move correctly, in about 1 to 1 & 1/2 turns you should be on the tail of the BF110, line it up in your sights and knock it out of the sky!!!

BF109's are powerful and heavily armed. They can rip up a Blenheim with the cannons. but they can't out turn it! If you encounter a 109 on your tail, turn hard and keep turning, at lowest possible airspeed. The n00b 109s will try to follow the carrot in front of their noses, stall out and take a long needed bath. The veterans will retain energy and try and BnZ the Blennie, but its still pretty hard for them to get, and while you have them busy, if your on comms (and yes you should be ) you can call in friendlies. Everyone knows that Spitfires and Hurricanes love nothing more than to catch a BF-109 down on the deck with no energy.

I hope this gives a little insight into the wonderful Blenheim IV.
    Last edited by ATAG_Slipstream; Oct-29-2012 at 18:21. Reason: Edited Errors

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Excellent post Slippy I have fallen for the carrot on the stick before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12