Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duxford 2014....The Jolly Boys Outing!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Duxford 2014....The Jolly Boys Outing!!

Duxford 2014 - The Jolly Boys Outing...

Well folks its that time of year again when we rally the troops and get some interest going for the 'Duxford Flying Legends Airshow'..Europes Largest Gathering of Warbirds..

The dates this year are...
    Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 July 2014

This will be our 7th year........Beers, WW2 aircraft, Good Company...It doesn't get much better than that!

Here's 2011 trailer...

and 2010 trailer

The tickets this year are £31 per adult (in advance)n or £34.50 (on the day)

Here's the link to the Duxford website....

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

Every year we camp in a very lovely campsite in Cambridge (I highly recommend it!). A free bus service takes us to the airshow on Saturday morning and in the evenings we share a taxi into Cambridge to get bladdered (drunk)...We camp Friday and Saturday night and leave for home Sunday afternoon...

Here's the address to the campsite, telephone number and link to the campsite website...

19 Cabbage Moor
    Great Shelford
    Cambridge
    CB22 5NB

01223 841185

http://camping.uk-directory.com/Camb..._Site_2721.php

If anyone is going and wants to meet up then post in this thread..Meet in the Eagle Pub...or at the Airshow....or on the Campsite...It'd be a real shame if we all get there and not know who is who or meet....That would be just wrong!!

If anyone is interested and doesn't have a tent and if you can get to Cambridge with a sleeping bag, beer, campsite and airshow money we may well be able to fit you in one of our tents...so keep us posted...

..lew...

The famous Eagle Pub with WW2 USAAF and RAF squadron graffitti preserved ceiling and with 'Double Helix' plaque!..Yes at first it starts out as a very educational and inspiring visit...and then we get totally wankered!

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-20-2014 at 10:49.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Duxford 2014....The Jolly Boys Outing!!

92 Squadron will be present this year. Number between 4 and 8.

Looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I'm in the wrong side of the pond

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Duxford weekend is the highlight of the year for me! Can't wait!

Friday on the campsite is always a great laugh, and we always have a great time in The Eagle... The more the merrier!

From a few years ago (sunburn is compulsory at Duxford):

FS~Valisk 'Val' FY-V COUPE DES CLUBS CHAMPIONS EUROPÉENS VAINQUERS SIX FOIS
    Rome. London. Paris. Rome. Istanbul. Madrid.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    244.9 KB

About 10 of us(possibly more)from Air Combat Group will be there on the Sunday 13th.

We meet at the front of the American War museum at 12.00 noon.

I am gonna try and get some T-shirts done for this year.

Might Camp over on Saturday Night, how many of you guys stay at the Camp Site?

Oh BTW 2 of our guys got famous on the flying legends video promo for this year taken from 2013.

See Below

Check out 1.13 on vid.

http://fighter-collection.com/cft/flying-legends-2014/

No.501_Bunny on the Left and No.501_Robo on the Right.

What a pair of plane geeks they look.
    Last edited by Nitrous; Mar-20-2014 at 14:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm in as always.............T.V.A.T

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

@nitrous...All of us camp.....Last year there was 6..we always have room for more as there is always 2 tents and I take a massive tunnel tent so you can camp with us friday, satday nitrous....last year ATAG_slipstream camped with us too...Met ATAG_Dutch, Kling and Klingon at the Eagle...

Its always fun...~S~

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-20-2014 at 15:18.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hmm well that sounds like a jolly good excuse to get the tent out and head back to my roots... well almost I'm originally from a bit further East. Assuming I know you guys a bit better by July that is and assuming I'm not intruding. Duxford is one airshow I've not been to before.

Colin aka Frankenstien

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    244.9 KB

The wife says "no" so I'll drive down on the day with my brother, but thanks anyways.

We met the GERATRIC squad last year.....the 56th boys.

Cool guys.

We have to make this the Cliffs of Dover annual meet this year. Spread the word.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

@nitrous...No worries buddy..if you change your mind...then we've usually got space...I mean in 7 years we've never not had room!!

@Frank....Keep in touch as the date gets closer....we see new faces every year...half of the lads who are now regulars simply responded to the 'Jolly Boys' thread and then met us at the campsite...and if you have your own tent then all the merrier..park it next to ours and let the merriment begin!!

As I say we get there friday midday..pitchup, park the cars, meet everyone then start the drinking and the talking of aircraft and flight sims.....Its always good

The campsite is not open for booking yet..they are still in their off season mode at the moment...We have always managed to get a pitch and there has always been plenty of more pitches available....Duxford is not the same unless you come for the weekend and take part in the camping and evening pub..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous View Post

We met the GERATRIC squad last year.....the 56th boys.

Cool guys.

Yes my boy, we've some Cool guys. You only met a few veterans, some a little grey but still kicking ar$e and will be for years to come.

Not sure if I can make it this year but I know some of the guys will be there.
    klem
    http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.6 GHz / 12Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked /128Gb SSD + 256Gb SSD/ Corsair 750HXUK 750W PSU
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / 3 x AOC 27" e2752vq @ 1920x1080 in Nvidia "Surround" plus 23" 1920x1080 instruments display below/ TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro, MFG Crosswind Rudders / CH CM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Well sorry chaps but I'm a little to.civilised for tents

The last time I spent a night in a tent I spent the hours moving around in my sleeping bag trying to find a less uncomfortable lump in the ground to sleep on!

Anyway, I am.already booked into.a B+B and looking forward to it and the show.

I got tickets to the Gold enclosure for both days but hope to get to the Eagle Pub on the Friday night. I'll slap on a t-shirt with Mysticpuma on it and maybe I can hook up with a few of you to say hello

I'm really looking forward to the show and hope we get weather like last-year, would be awesome.

This year I'll just ne taking my stills cameras and leaving the video camera at home..as the DSLR's shoot video anyway.

Looking forward to the show, cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Roger that Lew, I'm already making plans for getting the time off lol sounds like it'll be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Well sorry chaps but I'm a little to.civilised for tents

The last time I spent a night in a tent I spent the hours moving around in my sleeping bag trying to find a less uncomfortable lump in the ground to sleep on!
    We don't sleep on the ground man!...This is not 1950...we have foot high airbeds and quilts.....we cook and stuff......and we eat cheese and biscuits with wine!.......we love it!
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-21-2014 at 00:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

....seriously tempted. I must admit though that I am always very wary of meeting people I fly with as I picture you all as dashing young airmen with brylcreemed hair and pencil mustaches (except Lewis who has posted his real mug everywhere )

I know that 80% of you are balding and beer bellied like me but I try to avoid facing that awful truth
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Go Roblex, Duxford is brilliant fun! I intend to be there Sunday with ACG. And yes, balding and fat should cover it for 90% of sim flyers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    We don't sleep on the ground man!...This is not 1950...we have foot high airbeds and quilts.....we cook and stuff......and we eat cheese and biscuits with wine!.......we love it!
    That was on an airbed

Last time I cooked while camping was in 1984....not only were the fried eggs cooked, I managed to melt the tent too!

I once cooked a barbecue at home. You may remember it as 'the great fire of Bromsgrove'?

Trust me, campsites are safer without me.

I'll just have to make do with the four poster bed and full English breakfast served to me by a lovely host......but I will try and think of you as I drink my Earl Grey, in the dry (please keep the rain away) with the flies kept at bay by the four walls!

"The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    52.91 MB

Those pictures are so cool I was there last year also with the DD and yes we went to the eagle we probably bumped into each other in there it was so packed,and never realised.Unfortunately I am not going to make it this year with the Dangerdogz but look forward to seeing your pics here,and on the DDs site

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Pfftttt.... wussy kids today!
    <sips at his Lapsang Souchong while stroking the cat>
    I really ought to get dressed today. Lunching out at 1pm.
    klem
    http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 3.6 GHz / 12Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked /128Gb SSD + 256Gb SSD/ Corsair 750HXUK 750W PSU
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / 3 x AOC 27" e2752vq @ 1920x1080 in Nvidia "Surround" plus 23" 1920x1080 instruments display below/ TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro, MFG Crosswind Rudders / CH CM

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Last time I cooked while camping was in 1984....not only were the fried eggs cooked, I managed to melt the tent too!
    It's not all plain sailing with Lewie either...

Ahh yes! 'Twas the very height of sophistication that evening, let me tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by FS~Looksharp View Post
    I'm in as always.............T.V.A.T
    TVAT!

FS~Valisk 'Val' FY-V COUPE DES CLUBS CHAMPIONS EUROPÉENS VAINQUERS SIX FOIS
    Rome. London. Paris. Rome. Istanbul. Madrid.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

There are 10 DangerDogz due to show up at Duxford this year. See you guys down there

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I will be there too on Sunday. Last year I went there with my previous squadron, 56RAF, and we had a great time. Funny enough the evening we went to the Eagle Pub in Cambridge, the Saturday evening that is, we only met a few other ClOD pilots including ATAG_Dutch. The rest apparently needed to recover from the Friday-night or had headed home.

This year at least quite a few members of ACG and also some of 56RAF will meet Saturday 12 July 2014 in the swimming pool and at the bar of the Hilton London Stansted Airport Hotel. Rooms are still available there at reasonable prices
    Of course the more people the merrier.
    http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/uni...PHN/index.html

Sunday 13 July 2014 we'll have a gathering on Duxford where I sure hope to also have a beer with you campers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk_61 View Post
    It's not all plain sailing with Lewie either
    Haha...Shouldn't you be working!!...

Ah yes the famous...Chilli Con Carne with extra grass....!!....lol

Dutch

Well it's a possible. Maybe I can avoid the exploding car radiator and other screw-ups from last year and actually witness both days this time. Think I'll stay away from all that VIP stuff though. I thought the buffet food was pretty basic and bland for thirty quid a plateful. Cheese butties, tins of beans and dogburgers for me this year. Hmmm.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    113.86 MB

Gosh !!!
    As much as I dearly love my USA , at times like this I almost wish I had been born
    a Brit.
    You guys don't realize it yet , but you're all a bunch of hillbilly rednecks

God Bless the UK and the USA

Have fun , and I'll dream of being there in the middle of it all with ya

Doozy
    Gigabyte MB, I7-4770k @ 4.3, GTX 770 4gb , 16GB DDR 3 ,Vizio 32" , Antec 750w PS , Saitek X 52 Pro , Saitek Pro Combat Pedals , Track ir 4 pro 5.0 drivers
    Twelve Pack Miller Lite

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Doozy View Post
    Gosh !!!

You guys don't realize it yet , but you're all a bunch of hillbilly rednecks

Doozy
    Git yerselfs down here boys! It's a two day tailgate party with air'planes!
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

I'd love to fly over to the mother country for this and to meet you fellas face to face over a few pints...unfortunately it is World Cup year so I can't leave work during the tournament...next year though...

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.91 MB

Haha...Shouldn't you be working!!...

Ah yes the famous...Chilli Con Carne with extra grass....!!....lol
    I reckon its a new dish Lew. I think you should call it "Cliffs Con Carne", for the morning after the night before!

Pretty certain I'll be there at this point.
    i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz | nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 11 Pro

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It all looks so...sophisticated

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Oh yes - tickets booked already, bringing the old man with me as it's been ages since he's been to Duxford. We're booked in at the Hilton at Stansted for Saturday night with other ACG delinquents, and going to the Sunday show, but have to admit the camping looks great - cheese and biscuits for heaven's sake! That is pure class! Far above ACG standards

Hardest part was getting used to people's real names - I just gave in, I mean, 'Paul' compared to 'Chalky' or whatever - no contest really is it!

Nitrous - get the T-Shirts done man - can't be outdone by riff raff, what what!

Bunny.

On a good day you can still hear the rumble of the Merlin flying overhead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast