Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blenheim High-Altitude Level Bombing Guide

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Blenheim High-Altitude Level Bombing Guide

I did a small guide for Blennie pilots who want to do some high-altitude bombing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...dnM&authuser=0

Edit: Version 2.0 available for nil wind conditions.
    Last edited by Chuck_Owl; May-20-2015 at 17:45.

2. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Re: Blenheim High-Altitude Level Bombing Guide

Brilliant, Chuck.

Thanks for the work you put into this, it's fantastic.

That Gyro trick is useful, huh?

Cheers

4. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Looks like a great guide! Thanks for your efforts. I will have to read it in depth later on....I may be switching to Red side! I have never flown a Red plane before...but the Blem has always been enticing. Plus I hear lots of people mentioning it more and more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Nice going, Chuck! Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Marmus View Post
    Looks like a great guide! Thanks for your efforts. I will have to read it in depth later on....I may be switching to Red side! I have never flown a Red plane before...but the Blem has always been enticing. Plus I hear lots of people mentioning it more and more.
    You can even bring your gunner Fritz! He'll need his flak vest, that's for true. Just don't get caught with any schnapps or people might get suspicious..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Very nice, will have to try the gyro setup.

Have found recently that the bombsight has a compass on it, I find it much easier to navigate with that then the pilot one.

2014-03-24_00003.jpg

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Great stuff. Thanks Chuck. This answers a lot of questions I had.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Thank you al for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    Brilliant, Chuck.

Thanks for the work you put into this, it's fantastic.

That Gyro trick is useful, huh?

Cheers
    I'm only as good as my teacher taught me to be.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks! Have not tried the Blennie yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

A very good guide. All the things you need to know and nothing extra to confuse people

One niggle though. When you tell people how to use the course setter you tell them to head South then put the arrow between the two parallel lines with the T heading towards you. This works for this one particular mission but you don't tell them how to align it correctly to avoid flying the reciprocal bearing by accident when flying other bearings. To make matters worse your close-up picture of the compass appears to show the course setter calibrated to '20' when the text says you have already set it to '179' (it is correct in the bigger picture) I think it is important to advise that the 'T' must be at the same end as the red 'N' on the course setter. It might seem obvious but I have seen a lot of people get confused and fly 180 degrees the wrong direction because they did not stop to think that there is a right way and a wrong way.

Blen179.jpg
    Last edited by Roblex; Mar-25-2014 at 03:28.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    A very good guide. All the things you need to know and nothing extra to confuse people

One niggle though. When you tell people how to use the course setter you tell them to head South then put the arrow between the two parallel lines with the T heading towards you. This works for this one particular mission but you don't tell them how to align it correctly to avoid flying the reciprocal bearing by accident when flying other bearings. To make matters worse your close-up picture of the compass appears to show the course setter calibrated to '20' when the text says you have already set it to '179' (it is correct in the bigger picture) I think it is important to advise that the 'T' must be at the same end as the red 'N' on the course setter. It might seem obvious but I have seen a lot of people get confused and fly 180 degrees the wrong direction because they did not stop to think that there is a right way and a wrong way.

Blen179.jpg
    Ha ha, good eyes! I just wanted to show a zoomed-up picture of the compass (had to find one I took a while ago in my Spitfire) so they knew what the T actually was. In whole cockpit view, it's actually pretty hard to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Good stuff Chuck. You only made me more proud of my "grasshoper". I believe this is how it works, you give and then the community gives you back. Proud you have chosen to contribute on your own way

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torric270 View Post
    Have found recently that the bombsight has a compass on it, I find it much easier to navigate with that then the pilot one.
    In previous patch's this compass had much reflection, are barely readable, now with FXAA is a plus.

The "trick" to use DG to fool Autopilot (Hope that someone remember to rename this "Kurssteurung" in the next patch ) make the use
    of Autopilot in Blenheim very ease.

A big THANK YOU.

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Outstanding guide! Downloaded and saved

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Superb guide, very clear and well written.

Cheers
    John

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Great Guide Chuck_Owl. I havent been playing long but i definately have felt the bomber force has been consistently higher lately, and that has been very exciting! This will surely pull more in to something way more fun than the pure fighter pilots may think it is
    -=71st_AH_Bowsewr=- OU College of Medicine 2015
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bowsewr
    http://www.twitch.tv/bowsewr

CPU: i5 3570k RAM: 16gb ram Video Card: MIS gtx760. Water Cooling: Corsair H80
    Joystick: Thrustmaster T-16000 Throttle: X-52 Throttle Body Pedals: CH PRO Pedals Tracking: Track IR5 Gamepad Logitech G13

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Thank you very much for constructing and sharing this brilliant resource Chuck_Owl.

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Fantastic guide Bravo. I don't however understand why you are adjusting your main altimeter to take into account target elevation. Why not just adjust your Bombsight HEIGHT input to make it read Above Ground Level (AGL).... that is the way its designed to work.

EXAMPLE
    Planned Bombing Altitude 17,000ft
    TGT Altitude 150feet.
    Therefore Release HEIGHT AGL is 17,000-150 = 16,850ft

Fly 17000ft on Default Altimeter pressure setting.
    Set bombsight Height to 16,850ft. i.e. AGL value

In addition the Speed set in the sight should be Ground Speed not Indicated Airspeed.
    So the bomb sight speed is IAS corrected to TAS then Wind applied to determine Ground Speed.

My guide/ideas here:
    http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...=blenhiem_mkiv

Excerpt from above WIKI

Course Setting Bombsight Operation.

The Blenheim MKIV is equipped with the Course setting Bomb sight. This is a simple vector sight that provides an aiming reference for bomb release. The Bomb aimer inputs Bomb release HEIGHT and GROUND SPEED and drift. It is important to understand that the Bomb aimer must input Bomb Release HEIGHT not Altitude. Bomb Release Height = Altitude – Target Elevation. In addition the Bomb Aimer must determine the GROUND SPEED and input this to the sight. So the Bomb aimer needs to first determine TAS then apply the wind to determine the ground speed. In Nil wind conditions TAS = GROUND SPEED.

The Sight consists of a vertical post which combines as the Height scale and back sight. The back sight consists of an aperture with the Tgt Height Ref index pin on the right and left sides. A scale on the vertical arm shows the current Height set by the bomb aimer.

The sight also has a horizontal arm with attached Track reference wires. The Horizontal arm also has the foresight which consists of the Ground Speed Ref index pin. The horizontal arm has two ground speed scales. The White scale on the left (not visible with zero drift) has a mph scale. The Red scale on the right is also a Ground Speed scale but in “Minutes to fly 60 miles”. This is easily visible in most situations.

In the graphic below The Release Height is set to 7000ft. The ground Speed is set to 12Min to cover 60 miles i.e. 5 miles per minute or 300mph Ground Speed. To obtain the correct aiming reference the Bomb Aimer moves his Eye line to line up both the Ground Speed ref pin and the Release Height ref pin….i.e. Like with a Rifle he aligns the backsight with the foresight. In the Sim in bombsight view the eyeline is automatically set for you. With these Ref pins aligned the bomb aimers eyeline is now on the correct release angle sight line.

With these settings the aircraft is then flown so the target passes through either the Left Aiming aperture or the right aiming aperture. (In the sim it needs to be the right aiming aperture)The Bombs are manually released as the target passes through and adjacent to the ref pins.

In Drift situations the Bomb aimer lays of the drift so that ground features are tracking directly parallel to to the horizontal arm and its drift wire reference lines. The aircraft is then flown to ensure the target tracks down the Drift wire guideline to the aiming aperture.

Red Minutes to fly 60 miles to Miles per Min and MPH.

30 = 2miles per min = 120mph
    25 =2.4miles per min = 144mph
    22 = 2.7 miles per min = 164mph
    18 = 3.3 miles per min = 200mph
    14 = 4.2 miles per min = 257mph
    12 = 5miles per min = 300mph

Tip

In the Sim you can simply use the digital values of release height and ground speed to set the sight accurately rather than refer to the respective scales.

Last edited by Ivank; Mar-30-2014 at 20:04.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Chuck , I just want to add my thanks here for the work you put in this guide. I didn't know about the protractor in this map til now....... You just helped me increase my survival rate in the Blenny.
    Also want to thank both you and DRock for promoting interest in the Blenheim so we have more red team bomber pilots. I've left the server numerous times when I was the only one flying Blenny. It is a futile and wasted effort with only one bomber. With 2 bombers it's a bit more workable , albeit, still futile for map win.
    Thank you guys for tapping the potential of the old Blenny bus and sharing your knowledge , and maybe get more people interested in this airplane.
    I have definitely learned from you.

best regards,

Windigger

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

I set up controls for the Blenny using DRocks Guide and managed to take off and land from Cantebury after work tonight using ChuckOwls guide. I haven't tried the high level bombing yet but will give It a quick go during the week.
    Thanks to both of you for your guides, it was all very easy and painless to go through.

One more Blennie licenced driver available for your bomber raids gentlemen!

"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
    - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer, Australian Rules Footballer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

IvanK,

This guide on Wiki for adjust Blenheim bombsight is a bit complicated with this "Ground Speed", "time to fly miles"... for the casual "bomber pilot".
    I like "simulate", but fail in use this successfully. (IMO) he more scary than help potential bomber newbies.

Chuck_Owl guide work fine, in Blenheim use IAS to set the bombsight work well, after all we are not flying in real world, we are flying in "Dr.Who(leg) Wolrd".
    That some have "peculiar" Physics Laws...

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Apr-01-2014 at 09:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Chuck_Owl guide work fine, in Blenheim use IAS to set the bombsight work well...
    I'm pretty sure the bombsight used in the Bristol Blenheim IV by the RAF figured out the TAS. It was up to the Bombadier to set the IAS. So this feature for the RAF is accurate.

Great job with the Blenheims, Guys. Blue no longer has the trump card on bombing, just by the overwhelming numbers of Red bombers I'm seeing now a days.

~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    I'm pretty sure the bombsight used in the Bristol Blenheim IV by the RAF figured out the TAS. It was up to the Bombadier to set the IAS. So this feature for the RAF is accurate.

Great job with the Blenheims, Guys. Blue no longer has the trump card on bombing, just by the overwhelming numbers of Red bombers I'm seeing now a days.

~S~
    I am pretty sure it didnt thats why they provided Ground speed scale
    Last edited by Ivank; Apr-01-2014 at 18:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ivank View Post
    I am pretty sure it didnt thats why they provided Ground speed scale
    I stand corrected then. Thanks, Ivank.

I thought the Ground speed scale was used more specifically to estimate time for drop based on weight of bomb. As these numbers would have varied based on weight and terminal velocity of bombs.

So, IAS to TAS was not automatic in the bombsight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No probs. Here is an image of the Airspeed input knob/scale labelled TAS. This from a RAF MKIXA Course setting Bombsight

Last edited by Ivank; Apr-01-2014 at 19:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

4) In case your target is West (to the left) to
    your home base, the number that pops up will
    not be your heading. The proper heading will
    be 360 minus the number that popped up.
    To simplify, for waypoints on left side of quadrant trace the reference line from 1st waypoint to up (North).
    So the angle in 2nd line pop-up is the course, no subtraction is needed.

Right side - 1st line to South
    Left side - 1st line to North

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Fiddling with "Ground Speed/Red Minutes" scale found that it is just a more complicated way to do the same thing - like the "Lubber line" on P-8 Compass.

When adjust Wimperis with IAS, the "ground speed/red minutes" scale is adjusted automatically. GS scale is hidden behind Altitude scale.

Above, enter a 200 MPH IAS (Altitude 11.800 foots), the index on "Red minutes" scale move to 18 and in "Ground speed" scale for 200.
    On the map used (default wind) need a -0.5 slip adjust.

* What indicate that MG calibrated (CloD) Blenheim Wimperis for IAS, or the Ground Speed scale should show a different value and not 200.

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Apr-28-2017 at 12:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Err but arn't the Blue Bombsight velocity values TAS ?

So IAS should be around 168mph at 11,800ft
    Last edited by Ivank; Apr-01-2014 at 22:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Yes, Lotfe need TAS (I use Colander Lotfe Assistant or VO101_Tom DR-2 disk including OAT).

British you know, are "kink", so IAS is fine.

So IAS should be around 168mph at 11,800ft
    This I dont know, only know that I hit (+, -) the target. And if I input 168MPH instead 200MPH (plane instruments) I miss.

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Apr-01-2014 at 22:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well when I use TAS I get hits

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

With the talk about ground speed now that we have wind, I think I have reversed engineered a solution since we have to input IAS, not TAS into the bombsight.

Using a bomb run I did today as an example, I was able to (after the fact) calculate ground speed.

Flying from Eastchurch to Calais Mark I flew a course of roughly 125 @ 190 IAS @ 17000 feet. Using my pilot computer on my Iphone, this equals 255 TAS. With the wind from 270 @ 4 m/s (from the correction angle/groundspeed function) this gives me a groundspeed of 262 TAS. I then entered numbers into the IAS box (iphone E6B) until TAS equaled the 262, which was 196.

So , if I did this bomb run again, I would enter 200 instead of 190 mph into the bomb sight. Not s big deal when bombing an airfield but more exact when hitting something smaller.

Also for this run I used a - 1.5 slip to account for the wind and it seemed to do well. I will do some controlled tests to see how this comes out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast