Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airfix!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Airfix!

Remember these?

I do.....Nearly all of them....Every saturday I would run upto the local model shop with my pocket money which was just enough to buy a 1/72 scale fighter and a small Humbrol paint pot....We had 2 specific model shops and a couple of 'bit 'o' everthing' shops in our town and I would compare prices and see what I could get for my money....Then Saturday evening after we had had our tea I would put some newspaper over the dining table and make a model..usually Airfix..sometimes Corgi kit....Then at Christmas and birthdays I got a big scale model....That was my saturdays during the 70's..

I remember nearly all of this artwork on the boxes...

Video proper doesn't start until 1.00

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

2. Likes IIJG27Rich, GERMANWOLF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

Re: Airfix!

Lew when I lived in England (eight years) I bough so many Airfix kits that it was distracting. And I wasn't a kid. I was a member of the BMMS or British Military Modeling Society for many of those years and learned Wargaming from the youngsters in my local club in Bury Saint Edmunds. Airfix and Historex from France.
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRedCloud View Post
    Lew when I lived in England (eight years) I bough so many Airfix kits that it was distracting. And I wasn't a kid. I was a member of the BMMS or British Military Modeling Society for many of those years and learned Wargaming from the youngsters in my local club in Bury Saint Edmunds. Airfix and Historex from France.
    Wow Chief....I didn't know you lived in the UK for a while...8 years is quite a while too...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Hi Lew
    I grew up just up the road from you in the north east( Redcar). Like you my dad got me into modelling as a kid and I must have had 20+ hanging from the ceiling of my room I shared with my brother. When we moved to canada in 1980( I was 14 ) the young couple(husband) who bought the house asked if we could leave the models. I still have a Airfix 1/24 scale Hurricane in the basement that I bought for my dad while he battled cancer. The model never got finished, some day I will get the will to finish it maybe with my boys when they are a little older.

Ohms
    Last edited by Ohms; Mar-30-2014 at 22:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Beautiful story Ohmie......~S~

Oh my.....the big 1/24 scale Hurri.....mmmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Bought this baby last year to sell it.....I couldn't justify the money to make it or the time and I discovered it in London when on a job....bought for £50....sold on ebay for £110

It was a beauty...

1/24th scale Mossy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Beautiful story Ohmie......~S~

Oh my.....the big 1/24 scale Hurri.....mmmmm

Have that sitting in my closet partially done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I found the Fw190 1/24th scale airfix cheap a few years ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Boy, does this thread bring back memories!

I do hope you and your boys complete that Hurri, Ohmie.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    195.17 MB

I too would run to the local model shop as a youngster to buy Airfix models ,To my family's great annoyance ,i would suspend said items from the ceiling with cotton and drawing pins,Only for them to come crashing down at stupid o'clock in the morning
    My wife bought me a Spitfire for my 50th birthday..and i loved it.This year i had a BF109 now i cant go into a model shop without bringing out a box of lovelyness
    sorry for poor iphone pic
    Last edited by CombatTaffy; Mar-31-2014 at 10:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Thanks Guys

I had built one of the Hurri's before and my Dad thought it was just fantastic so that's why I bought it for him. The one I built met a sad end as my mum wrecked it while cleaning(her story). I think she was on a recon for publications most teenage boys have hidden in their rooms.

Ohms
    I will finish it someaday.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

As a youngster, I managed to get myself in a bit of a tangle through Airfix models. I used to throw them together, douse them in meths then set fire to them and chuck them out the window to simulate scenes I'd seen in movies.

I was a popular kid on our estate.

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Haha..i had mates who did that Septic..I never understood...I spent hours making them...every one was slightly better than the last.....first they were glossy...then I discovered matt...then I started mixing colours....then I started adding my own glazes to distress them and add exhaust smut...I loved them...could never burn one..NOOOOOO!!!

I liked the little paragraph of text you got with it....and I liked the fact it was short....That would mean I had to look it up in one of the many WW2 aircraft books to check its history....Then sometimes I would ignore the colour scheme and get one from my aircraft book....

This was my bible....

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-31-2014 at 11:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sweet memories....I began building Airfix models when I was a child, maybe 6...I wasn't painting the first ones because I was so eager to see them finished. It was an "illness" transferred by my father as he was too a big fan of aircraft models, it was a very popular hobby at that time. I remember the cover arts, and how many dreams I was making over them. It lasted until I was maybe 14, I couldn'say how many I made, maybe more than 50. My mother was desperate as she didn't know where to put them. Really sweet memories...

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Did some myself when I was younger knocked out some recently, 1/24 scale all Airbrushed and stencils used with airbrush where applicable:

SHOWS SCALE OF 1/24
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Steiner; Mar-31-2014 at 14:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Bought this baby last year to sell it.....I couldn't justify the money to make it or the time and I discovered it in London when on a job....bought for £50....sold on ebay for £110

It was a beauty...

1/24th scale Mossy....

My absolute all time favorite airplane, not just model. I always stuck to 1/72 scale. Lew this thread shows just many of us are still kids (lads) at heart.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

I did almost the same things all of you did with Airfix with Monogram models.

Never had a single Airfix kit. But I still build models.

Septic, I would put fire crackers in them and film they go boom! Haha Not that you could see much, just a lot of smoke and the wreck of molten plastic.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

don't forget the revell brand as well. and tamiya

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Launcher_2014_01_08_15_09_28_068.jpg

Same here every Saturday with my nan, we would go into town and go to the model shops , i was allowed only one 1:72 scale model , always aircraft , or a box of soldiers , plus glue if i needed it , i remember when liquid glue came out . wow ..!! complete head turner, my dad used to help me paint them ....great times , now kids want £40.00 computer games ... locked in their rooms for hours . such a shame Airfix went away. i have diecast now .
    Last edited by II/JG77_Con; Mar-31-2014 at 15:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Steiner
    Those are fantastic.

Ohms

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

2 Oct 2013 143.jpgAttachment 8724

Not an Airfix. Eduard FW 190 A-6 (1:48 scale)
    Last edited by Wulf; Mar-31-2014 at 17:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Shit me!!.....wow...Steiner...Wulf....some brilliant kits there...

and some great nostalic stories too...love em..

Here's James May with a preview of his Airfix documentary...You can probably torrent this...I couldn't find the whole episode in youtube

anyways...

Seems the kids these days are more into video games than building plastic kits....''MAN..They don't know what they're missing!''...said the guy who spends 30 hours a week gaming on his PC...

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-31-2014 at 18:43.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Haha..i had mates who did that Septic..I never understood...I spent hours making them...every one was slightly better than the last.....first they were glossy...then I discovered matt...then I started mixing colours....then I started adding my own glazes to distress them and add exhaust smut...I loved them...could never burn one..NOOOOOO!!!

I liked the little paragraph of text you got with it....and I liked the fact it was short....That would mean I had to look it up in one of the many WW2 aircraft books to check its history....Then sometimes I would ignore the colour scheme and get one from my aircraft book....

This was my bible....

I have the same bible Lew and its still on my bookshelf. The other bible I had was history of the raf by chaz bowyer. Must have read both a thousand times. At one stage I was serving with a bloke who's dad was pictured in it. Small world huh (I'm on the other side of the world).

I also got all 200 plus editions of the illustrated encyclopedia of aircraft. Still read them from time to time and used them to make some il2 campaigns.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ohmie 412 View Post
    Hi Lew
    I grew up just up the road from you in the north east( Redcar). Like you my dad got me into modelling as a kid and I must have had 20+ hanging from the ceiling of my room I shared with my brother. When we moved to canada in 1980( I was 14 ) the young couple(husband) who bought the house asked if we could leave the models. I still have a Airfix 1/24 scale Hurricane in the basement that I bought for my dad while he battled cancer. The model never got finished, some day I will get the will to finish it maybe with my boys when they are a little older.

Ohms
    Very cool man, very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a few 1/24 Airfix models online I think I'm going to do the Spitty (notsure what model) and the BF109 (not sure what model yet either). I used to do car models and just the satisfaction of trying to perfect the model was the best feeling, I think I need some more stuff around my simpit
    Last edited by Injerin; Apr-01-2014 at 04:12.
    ANON6 - Tactical Group Play | CLOD - DCS SERIES - STAR CITIZEN - ARMA3 | www.anon6.com[/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.39 MB

Great "nostalgia-thread" Lew

My pilot career started with these, off course..
    After some time the roof in my room was full.
    (Painted even clouds up there)
    Some really strange formations there..

Then, my brother and me got an airgun..
    -with a devastating result!

So, now when I jumps in a AAA in CloD,
    memories come back.

~S~
    jeepy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

1/24Th Hawker Typhoon this year

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ivank View Post
    1/24Th Hawker Typhoon this year
    Wow..Now thats one I want to see...

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Apr-02-2014 at 00:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    113.86 MB

It's amazing how real looking they are !
    I could never make one look that good , it takes a talent I don't have

Thanks for the pictures and stories gang

Doozy
    Gigabyte MB, I7-4770k @ 4.3, GTX 770 4gb , 16GB DDR 3 ,Vizio 32" , Antec 750w PS , Saitek X 52 Pro , Saitek Pro Combat Pedals , Track ir 4 pro 5.0 drivers
    Twelve Pack Miller Lite

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

Wow Chief....I didn't know you lived in the UK for a while...8 years is quite a while too...
    And to be honest Lew, I loved every minute of it. Met some great people there. One fine gentleman and his wife were both kids during the war and they took me in under their wing and treated me like theirs. Stan Whitmore was his name if my memory servers me correctly. He was an older gentleman then and I have doubts he's still around. His wife made the best cup of tea I've ever had.

@Stiener that is some amazing details there .... beautiful ....

Lew that is one detailed kit there ..... None of mine ever came that detailed .... wow .... incidentally the 2nd video says something about not being made available in this country.
    Last edited by ChiefRedCloud; Apr-02-2014 at 08:47.
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRedCloud View Post
    incidentally the 2nd video says something about not being made available in this country.
    Rgrt...It was program with James May...He explains at the beginning that for most of us 60's and 70's kids that plastic model kits where are big part of our lives and he tries to get a class of kids to make one in the first part of the program...Then he decides to get the community to buide the biggest plastic kit of a Spitfire....The program goes though his trials and tribulations on this quest.....Its a fun program....He does a different program for many popular toys of the time and adds a quirk to it...Action Man (GI Joe), Lego, Scalextric...In the scalextric program he gets the community to build the longest track which goes around a dissused Formula 1 track in the UK..

Unfortunately CRC I think you may have to fimd the series in torrents if you really want to see them in the US...They are still available on the internet as torrent

James Mays Toy Stories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_May's_Toy_Stories

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast